Jump to topic:

Why is divorce against God?

surrendersacrifice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 9:25:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
God stayed faithful to His covenant with us although we were unfaithful to Him, rejected Him and hurt Him by our sins. Furthermore, He sacrificed His own life so that we may find healing. If we believe in Jesus, and love him, we too must stay faithful to our covenant with of spouse even when there is hurt, rejection and unfaithfulness (Hosea 3:1); and love our spouse as Christ loves His Church (Ephesians 5:25). We must therefore find healing for our spouse through our expressions of sacrificial love towards our spouse. Furthermore, since God unites husband and wife in marriage a marriage covenant cannot be broken (Matthew 19:6 &8). Therefore, when people divorce, they do not break the bond; they merely reject God who is the binding force. Furthermore, since the bond is never broken by divorce, anyone who divorces his spouse and remarries commits adultery. Similarly, anyone who marries a divorced person commits adultery (Luke 16:18).
Love is the spirit of surrender, sacrifice, service
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 10:07:50 AM
At 5/30/2013 9:25:51 PM, surrendersacrifice wrote:
God stayed faithful to His covenant with us although we were unfaithful to Him, rejected Him and hurt Him by our sins. Furthermore, He sacrificed His own life so that we may find healing. If we believe in Jesus, and love him, we too must stay faithful to our covenant with of spouse even when there is hurt, rejection and unfaithfulness (Hosea 3:1); and love our spouse as Christ loves His Church (Ephesians 5:25). We must therefore find healing for our spouse through our expressions of sacrificial love towards our spouse. Furthermore, since God unites husband and wife in marriage a marriage covenant cannot be broken (Matthew 19:6 &8). Therefore, when people divorce, they do not break the bond; they merely reject God who is the binding force. Furthermore, since the bond is never broken by divorce, anyone who divorces his spouse and remarries commits adultery. Similarly, anyone who marries a divorced person commits adultery (Luke 16:18).

Divorce isn't against God's book. People divorced in Jesus' time too. Divorce doesn't mean you commit adultery. I'm a Christian but sometimes some Christians tick me off. Because they don't see the Bible the way it is, or they take it way to literarily.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 11:06:38 AM
At 5/31/2013 10:07:50 AM, leojm wrote:

Divorce isn't against God's book. People divorced in Jesus' time too. Divorce doesn't mean you commit adultery. I'm a Christian but sometimes some Christians tick me off. Because they don't see the Bible the way it is, or they take it way to literarily.

You have to take the Bible literally when the intention is to be literal. Divorce is a last resort thing, you entered a covenant before God and vowed to be married for life, through good and bad, sickness and health. If you dare to breach a holy covenant made before God, that's your choice I guess. I'd never want to do that though.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 11:13:34 AM
At 5/31/2013 11:06:38 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

You have to take the Bible literally when the intention is to be literal. Divorce is a last resort thing, you entered a covenant before God and vowed to be married for life, through good and bad, sickness and health. If you dare to breach a holy covenant made before God, that's your choice I guess. I'd never want to do that though.

Well said, CP.
Tsar of DDO
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 11:29:38 AM

And how do you know the bible is intended to be literal?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 11:31:07 AM
In addition, please explain why marriage is a covenant before god when marriage was practiced in many Eastern cultures well before they had a bunch of European traders, or had even heard of Christianity.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 11:39:05 AM
At 5/31/2013 11:31:07 AM, drhead wrote:
In addition, please explain why marriage is a covenant before god when marriage was practiced in many Eastern cultures well before they had a bunch of European traders, or had even heard of Christianity.

Because... as a Christian you make it a covenant before God? Marriage is the first holy institution chartered by God in Genesis so you could make a Biblical argument that it was charted by God at the start of human civilization.

Nice try though.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 12:31:16 PM
At 5/31/2013 11:39:05 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Because... as a Christian you make it a covenant before God? Marriage is the first holy institution chartered by God in Genesis so you could make a Biblical argument that it was charted by God at the start of human civilization.

Nice try though.

I didn't take you for a creationist.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 12:33:12 PM

Understandable. very well put. :P
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 1:59:32 PM
At 5/31/2013 12:31:16 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 5/31/2013 11:39:05 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Nice try though.

I didn't take you for a creationist.

I am a creationist, not a 7-day creationist but I believe the Universe was crafted by God yes.
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 2:04:12 PM

"'d never want to do that though." <-- and that's good too!! Hope you keep that state of mind! :)
"We conclude that our salvation is of The Lord. He is the One who regenerates us. Those whom He regenerates come to Christ. Without regeneration no one will ever come to Christ. With regeneration no one will ever reject Him. God's saving grace effects what He intends to effect by it. ~ R. C. Sproul
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 2:09:03 PM

To make marriage covenant it to make a promise and a life-commitment.. The only way a person "may" divorce is if the other is caught cheating (adultery with another person).. That is the only way.. But people tend to divorce over little pitiful things like arguments and what not.. That happens and people need to work it out instead of trying to run from their problems all the time.. Therefore it is wrong to divorce if its not for anything but adultery... But the thing is if you do divorce for those reasons the person is to remain single.. not remarry unless of course the person is dead..

does that make sense now?
"We conclude that our salvation is of The Lord. He is the One who regenerates us. Those whom He regenerates come to Christ. Without regeneration no one will ever come to Christ. With regeneration no one will ever reject Him. God's saving grace effects what He intends to effect by it. ~ R. C. Sproul