Jump to topic:

Could the United States be invaded?

Openmindedperson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 8:50:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
A friend asked me this question yesterday, and so we debated about it. Now I want to see what others have to say about this topic.

Could the United States be invaded and Occupied (like France during world war 2)?

Logistics- I believe it would be a logistical nightmare, the US has the largest Navy, largest Air Force(as far as I know), Largest Armed Population.
Buffer zone: Rocky mountains, Appalachian mountains, Mojave desert.

Funds- Billions if not Trillions of dollars spent just to fund it, not to mention buying resources before hand.

Manpower- I think any invading army numbering less than 5 million would fail, Since between active & reserve our army totals 2 million (respectively), Not to mention police, local militias, and if they chose to, NATO ally army.

NATO- UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc. Even if they didn't want to get involved militarily, they could cut off trade to what ever nation attacked us which would result in an economic down fall for said country.

Invasion Points- Alaska, Canada, Mexico. Hitting the East or West coast without sufficient numbers would result in the invasion ending before it began and possible destruction of the invasion force.

Other- Industrial power: How fast then can replace, Ships, Planes, Ammunition, Tanks, Missiles. Does said country have the capabilities to supply sufficient food.

How will they deal with the population. If said country had Nukes would they use them? What about dealing with a Nuclear response from the United States.

What country do you think has the best chance of success?

Please refrain from irrational responses and flaming. Please be as detailed as possible in your answer as to why it's possible or impossible.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.globalfirepower.com...
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 8:57:04 AM
I think that our large landmass would make it quite difficult to occupy the US. Plus, anyone who tried to do this would be crazy, since not only are we a difficult foe, we have many countries who depend heavily upon us, and who would have to help us.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 8:59:41 AM
The US/Canada border is the longest undefended border in the world. 80% of Canadians live within a few days march.

Some would argue we're already being "invaded" and "occupied" from the south.

In fact, I think it's a joint effort. The Mexicans are taking over all of our blue collar jobs and the Canadians are taking over our entertainment. We're at their mercy.
Openmindedperson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 9:03:38 AM
At 5/31/2013 8:57:04 AM, drhead wrote:
I think that our large landmass would make it quite difficult to occupy the US. Plus, anyone who tried to do this would be crazy, since not only are we a difficult foe, we have many countries who depend heavily upon us, and who would have to help us.

The size of our landmass is definitely an issue for any invasion force. Sadly there are some crazy leaders out there. We may have other countries depend on us, but they may see it as a chance to break that dependency. A good example is, we are dependent on Saudi Arabia for oil and a few other countries, if we had the chance to break that dependency we would (excluding political & environmental reasons for not.)
Openmindedperson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 9:09:13 AM
At 5/31/2013 8:59:41 AM, drafterman wrote:
The US/Canada border is the longest undefended border in the world. 80% of Canadians live within a few days march.

Dang, I didn't know that, but Canada and the US depend on each other, and if the US was taken over, then I think Canada might get worried that they'd be next on the list since they have large oil reserves & forest. Forest land could be cut down to make way for more farm land.

That's a different type of invasion, i'll take the blame for using "invaded" in a more open manner than intended. It's off topic but us Americans are to blame for losing blue collar jobs, a good portion of us want to make loads of money and feel that it's not possible if your working on a farm or doing a menial job.

In fact, I think it's a joint effort. The Mexicans are taking over all of our blue collar jobs and the Canadians are taking over our entertainment. We're at their mercy.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 10:18:05 AM

This is a very understated advantage. Most of Canada is focused relatively close to the border, which means the practical US population is boosted by over 30 million. US-Canada relations are extremely close, and the joint air defense program NORAD would provide a major advantage for both countries.

Attacking either coast would be a fatal first step, because very large portions of the US population live on both sides. Attacking Alaska would be even worse, because you would have to go through Canada to get to the mainland US. Similarly, attacking Hawaii or a territory would not be helpful because none are connected to the mainland.

For all practical purposes, a tactical invasion of the United States would be impossible, due to the large population that would have to be contained, the powerful US military, and the large number of civilians with arms.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 10:53:48 AM
At 5/31/2013 10:00:58 AM, leojm wrote:
Yes indeed it can. It's almost like an Island with water on 3 sides. Advantage to other countries.

This is typically what people cite as to why the US is so difficult to invade. We are much larger than Hawaii, making an invasion of our "island" extremely difficult to sustain.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:30:56 PM
At 5/31/2013 10:53:48 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
Yes indeed it can. It's almost like an Island with water on 3 sides. Advantage to other countries.

This is typically what people cite as to why the US is so difficult to invade. We are much larger than Hawaii, making an invasion of our "island" extremely difficult to sustain.

Yeah but by air and sea, you pretty much surrounded. :P That is if Canada decides to attack US.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:36:11 PM
Uh, no. The fact that is borders extremely few countries and zero major powers who have a sense of enmity against the country quite clearly tells us of the low probability of an invasion. Logistics would be near-impossible to carry out. Transporting military forces and supplies overseas is something very few countries are able to do.

An invasion attempt in the near future would be a joke.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:38:42 PM
At 6/6/2013 7:36:11 PM, Mirza wrote:
Uh, no. The fact that is borders extremely few countries and zero major powers who have a sense of enmity against the country quite clearly tells us of the low probability of an invasion. Logistics would be near-impossible to carry out. Transporting military forces and supplies overseas is something very few countries are able to do.

Just as Russia and China and Japan (save for the Mongols briefly in China) have never been successfully invaded, the US holds similar geographic status and political-economic-military might. Some places just can't be taken and held, the US is one of them.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:48:55 PM
At 6/6/2013 7:38:42 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 6/6/2013 7:36:11 PM, Mirza wrote:

Just as Russia and China and Japan (save for the Mongols briefly in China) have never been successfully invaded, the US holds similar geographic status and political-economic-military might. Some places just can't be taken and held, the US is one of them.

Russia is hard to invade. Well by sea at least. And who the h3ll is going to the north of Russia and invade from there. You got to be desperate and an absolute idiot to do that. :P
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 12:52:04 PM
Maybe by aliens, or if the whole world pooled its power together. The invaders would need the will, the power and the enforcement. If they didn't have these, the U.S wouldn't be conquered and held. Even then, with the taste of freedom, and determination to keep it and the guns that Americans have, this would be a monumental task.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 2:22:53 PM
I guess it depends who by. If the EU became a single nation and focused its spending on military, it probably could (god knows why it would want to). If its any single nation, then no. But a lot of countries (Russia, China, Brazil, India and other sizable countries with significant populations) couldn't be invaded and occupied by a single nation.
I'm leaving nukes out of the equation, because if there was a nuclear war both sides would be toast and so occupation is moot point.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 2:44:54 PM
Who says that humans are the only ones that can invade the US? If aliens invade then its more then possible that the US can be invaded and occupied.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 4:32:23 PM
Sure, why not? I think more than half the nation would prefer it and do nothing to stop it, especially if the invaders promised free stuff from the new govt. Americans could easily be propagandized into giving up their freedom without even a fight.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 1:55:33 PM
At 6/7/2013 4:32:23 PM, sadolite wrote:
Sure, why not? I think more than half the nation would prefer it and do nothing to stop it, especially if the invaders promised free stuff from the new govt. Americans could easily be propagandized into giving up their freedom without even a fight.

God youre retarded.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 2:02:36 PM

lelz
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:51:07 PM
At 6/8/2013 1:55:33 PM, imabench wrote:

God youre retarded.....

Oh and your not. Fuken libtard govt loving loser.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 8:37:38 PM
At 6/8/2013 4:51:07 PM, sadolite wrote:

God youre retarded.....

Says the 40 year old pathetic sack of sh*t whose gone no where in life

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 8:59:32 PM
Your condescensions would be more believable if either of you displayed effective third-grade spelling and grammar.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 9:04:35 PM
At 5/31/2013 8:50:43 AM, Openmindedperson wrote:
A friend asked me this question yesterday, and so we debated about it. Now I want to see what others have to say about this topic.

Could the United States be invaded and Occupied (like France during world war 2)?

Logistics- I believe it would be a logistical nightmare, the US has the largest Navy, largest Air Force(as far as I know), Largest Armed Population.
Buffer zone: Rocky mountains, Appalachian mountains, Mojave desert.

Funds- Billions if not Trillions of dollars spent just to fund it, not to mention buying resources before hand.

Manpower- I think any invading army numbering less than 5 million would fail, Since between active & reserve our army totals 2 million (respectively), Not to mention police, local militias, and if they chose to, NATO ally army.

NATO- UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc. Even if they didn't want to get involved militarily, they could cut off trade to what ever nation attacked us which would result in an economic down fall for said country.

Invasion Points- Alaska, Canada, Mexico. Hitting the East or West coast without sufficient numbers would result in the invasion ending before it began and possible destruction of the invasion force.

Other- Industrial power: How fast then can replace, Ships, Planes, Ammunition, Tanks, Missiles. Does said country have the capabilities to supply sufficient food.

How will they deal with the population. If said country had Nukes would they use them? What about dealing with a Nuclear response from the United States.

What country do you think has the best chance of success?

Please refrain from irrational responses and flaming. Please be as detailed as possible in your answer as to why it's possible or impossible.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.globalfirepower.com...

Let's pretend everyone agrees that nukes are off limits. If every nation in the world stopped their fighting and (with a week of warning) simultaneously declared total war against the United States with the intent of occupying it completely, I predict that Canada's population centers and Mexico and Central America would be US controlled within a month, while a stalemate would persist with the rest of the world as neither side would be able to launch invasions across the sea.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 9:07:31 PM
At 6/8/2013 8:59:32 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Your condescensions would be more believable if either of you displayed effective third-grade spelling and grammar.

Third grade spelling and grammar is a little above Sadolite's league though.

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 9:45:40 PM
Yes. Canada. Canada could do it.

I'm not gunna say we'd be able to over-throw your government or anything, but I'm sure we could get both our soldiers over the border before you guys notice.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 7:31:50 PM
At 6/7/2013 2:44:54 PM, imabench wrote:
Who says that humans are the only ones that can invade the US? If aliens invade then its more then possible that the US can be invaded and occupied.

Well I know for sure I didn't say that. lol

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 7:32:55 PM
At 6/7/2013 2:22:53 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I guess it depends who by. If the EU became a single nation and focused its spending on military, it probably could (god knows why it would want to). If its any single nation, then no. But a lot of countries (Russia, China, Brazil, India and other sizable countries with significant populations) couldn't be invaded and occupied by a single nation.
I'm leaving nukes out of the equation, because if there was a nuclear war both sides would be toast and so occupation is moot point.

We sneak nukes all across the country. Boom. No one left. Then we just go and sit on the radioactive land. Victory.

May the best man win!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 8:44:13 PM
At 6/8/2013 8:37:38 PM, imabench wrote:
At 6/8/2013 4:51:07 PM, sadolite wrote:

God youre retarded.....

Says the 40 year old pathetic sack of sh*t whose gone no where in life

I think I have another activity that you might find interesting. You could get a job at an abortion clinic and smash the little skulls of little babies with a framing hammer that survive botched late term abortions.