Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Question!

Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 3:10:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is Liar and dishonesty the exact samething? Can they be used differently?
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
TULIP
Posts: 398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 3:22:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 3:10:48 PM, Harbinger wrote:
Is Liar and dishonesty the exact samething? Can they be used differently?

The same.. Because its sin either way.. But directly, its the same because if you steal something that's dishonest and if you don't fess up about it that would make you a liar, but not just a liar but also a thief and a covetous person..
I don't believe they can be used in a different way.... :o
"We conclude that our salvation is of The Lord. He is the One who regenerates us. Those whom He regenerates come to Christ. Without regeneration no one will ever come to Christ. With regeneration no one will ever reject Him. God's saving grace effects what He intends to effect by it. ~ R. C. Sproul
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 5:17:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 3:10:48 PM, Harbinger wrote:
Is Liar

Direct deception

and dishonesty

Indirect deception

the exact samething?

No.

Can they be used differently?

Obviously.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 5:30:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 5:17:13 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 6/8/2013 3:10:48 PM, Harbinger wrote:
Is Liar

Direct deception

and dishonesty

Indirect deception

the exact samething?

No.

Can they be used differently?

Obviously.

I disagree that dishonest = indirect deception. I think dishonest can handle both indirect and direct, while lie is generally intended to refer to a specific untrue statement.

When used in the context of a statement made, which is claimed to be an knowingly untrue statement, in that context, wouldn't a charge of being "dishonest" be equivalent to one of "lying"?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 10:19:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 5:17:13 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 6/8/2013 3:10:48 PM, Harbinger wrote:
Is Liar

Direct deception

and dishonesty

Indirect deception

the exact samething?

No.

Can they be used differently?

Obviously.

My sediments. Some here on this site will disagree.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
MassiveDump
Posts: 3,423
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 10:22:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 10:19:26 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/8/2013 5:17:13 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 6/8/2013 3:10:48 PM, Harbinger wrote:
Is Liar

Direct deception

and dishonesty

Indirect deception

the exact samething?

No.

Can they be used differently?

Obviously.

My sediments. Some here on this site will disagree.

My sides
1997-2013
YYW
Posts: 36,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 10:24:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 3:10:48 PM, Harbinger wrote:
Is Liar and dishonesty the exact samething? Can they be used differently?

Bok wrote a book on this.

http://www.amazon.com...

Had to read this little gem for a grad ethics class a year ago. Fun stuff.
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 12:54:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 10:24:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/8/2013 3:10:48 PM, Harbinger wrote:
Is Liar and dishonesty the exact samething? Can they be used differently?

Bok wrote a book on this.

http://www.amazon.com...

Had to read this little gem for a grad ethics class a year ago. Fun stuff.

Thanks man. Glad to know I am not crazy. Why I asked, Guy said I was dumb or a idiot for thinking they were different. http://www.debate.org...
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 6:05:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 3:22:07 PM, TULIP wrote:
At 6/8/2013 3:10:48 PM, Harbinger wrote:
Is Liar and dishonesty the exact samething? Can they be used differently?

The same.. Because its sin either way.. But directly, its the same because if you steal something that's dishonest and if you don't fess up about it that would make you a liar, but not just a liar but also a thief and a covetous person..
I don't believe they can be used in a different way.... :o

Tulip, what if I steal and confess about it? I am a thief and dishonest but not a liar.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 6:25:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/9/2013 12:54:55 AM, Harbinger wrote:
Thanks man. Glad to know I am not crazy. Why I asked, Guy said I was dumb or a idiot for thinking they were different. http://www.debate.org...

And I'm sure everyone on here can see exactly how dishonest you are being with this. You cannot call someone dishonest without calling them a liar, as I repeatedly and comprehensively showed in the above thread.
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 12:41:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2013 6:25:24 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 6/9/2013 12:54:55 AM, Harbinger wrote:
Thanks man. Glad to know I am not crazy. Why I asked, Guy said I was dumb or a idiot for thinking they were different. http://www.debate.org...

And I'm sure everyone on here can see exactly how dishonest you are being with this. You cannot call someone dishonest without calling them a liar, as I repeatedly and comprehensively showed in the above thread.

Please read it anyone. You have not shown nothing but just blurt it out with no evidence. A lie is on purpose and dishonesty can be awareness or unawareness. Intellectual Dishonesty doesn't necessarily mean lies or otherwise morally wrong deeds.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
sadolite
Posts: 8,833
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 5:31:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
aint no difference between a liar and a thief neither
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,833
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 5:33:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2013 5:31:38 PM, sadolite wrote:
aint no difference between a liar and a thief neither

Semantics can always find a difference, Semantics can find a difference between the color red and the color red.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 6:39:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2013 12:41:36 PM, Harbinger wrote:
Please read it anyone. You have not shown nothing but just blurt it out with no evidence. A lie is on purpose and dishonesty can be awareness or unawareness. Intellectual Dishonesty doesn't necessarily mean lies or otherwise morally wrong deeds.

1) You didn't say 'intellectual dishonesty'.
2) Intellectual dishonesty is an act of lying to oneself.
3) I provided plenty of evidence and claiming that I didn't when people can read the thread for themselves and see MULTIPLE dictionary and thesaurus definitions posted by me is moronic in the extreme. Also dishonest.
4) A lie is on purpose. Dishonesty - of all types - is also on purpose. If you say something that is incorrect but without knowingly doing so, you have made an 'honest mistake'.
5) Stop humiliating yourself by arguing black is white.