Jump to topic:

DDOFans site

johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2009 11:08:29 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Does anyone use it? How often do you use it? Why/why don't you use it?

I was wondering, I've gotten on the ddofans chat but no one's ever on.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2009 1:02:53 PM
At 12/2/2009 12:57:58 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Who cares?

He does, because he runs that site.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2009 4:11:57 PM
At 12/2/2009 11:08:29 AM, johngriswald wrote:

I used to go on there to be linked to the chat, but now that the chat turned to video chat (which is a cool idea), it got too complicated so I don't use it anymore and therefore haven't really gone on the site. I would reccomend keeping the new and improved video chat, and also still having access to the old one for those of us who aren't too tech savvy (or too hideous to show face :p).

Also, I like the idea of articles on there because I sometimes wish that DDO had a blog. However - that's just it. DDO Fans is fab but it's not DDO. I think people get preoccupied here and don't make their way over there because of it. In short, it seems that despite the cool features, people don't take an interest partly because it has the reputation of being the place to go when you feel like being a douche. For instance, the Wiki is a great idea. However, when the Wiki is used just to insult other people (i.e. write mean crap about them), then it loses all merit and I stopped paying attention to that site awhile back for that reason.

Basically, it's a good idea, but there's not much there that you can't do here on DDO except be vulgar or overtly rude lol. I wish aspects of DDO Fans could come to DDO, but that might defeat the purpose. So, I'd say that if more people started using DDO Fans to start off with, then more people might be compelled to go there. I dunno. Good luck with it though and I'll help where I can!
President of DDO
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2009 5:35:09 PM
At 12/2/2009 4:11:57 PM, theLwerd wrote:

I used to go on there to be linked to the chat, but now that the chat turned to video chat (which is a cool idea), it got too complicated so I don't use it anymore and therefore haven't really gone on the site. I would reccomend keeping the new and improved video chat, and also still having access to the old one for those of us who aren't too tech savvy (or too hideous to show face :p).

Actually the DDOFans Chat was replaced with the shoutbox on the sidebar, the reason I replaced it is because you have to be registered so people can't pretend to be other people. The shoutbox is on the left hand side, it refreshes automatically every 2 seconds. In my opinion its a lot better than the old chat system.

Screenshot: http://i50.tinypic.com...

Also, I like the idea of articles on there because I sometimes wish that DDO had a blog. However - that's just it. DDO Fans is fab but it's not DDO. I think people get preoccupied here and don't make their way over there because of it. In short, it seems that despite the cool features, people don't take an interest partly because it has the reputation of being the place to go when you feel like being a douche. For instance, the Wiki is a great idea. However, when the Wiki is used just to insult other people (i.e. write mean crap about them), then it loses all merit and I stopped paying attention to that site awhile back for that reason.

I'll personally make sure there are no more insults on the wiki.

Basically, it's a good idea, but there's not much there that you can't do here on DDO except be vulgar or overtly rude lol. I wish aspects of DDO Fans could come to DDO, but that might defeat the purpose. So, I'd say that if more people started using DDO Fans to start off with, then more people might be compelled to go there. I dunno. Good luck with it though and I'll help where I can!

Thanks, I appreciate the insight.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2009 5:38:48 PM

Like the new layout. Nice.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2009 5:44:46 PM
As someone who was originally vested in the idea, I found it just sort of trailed off.

The Wiki is amazing. Everything else is either "okay" or just useless. The opinion pages were never really needed, the forums are also pointless, and the chat, while useful, never took off because there wasn't enough interest, which is understandable. I had such high hopes for the news, and I appreciate the effort others have had in it, but I don't think anyone looks, or cares.

I would probably scrap most of it, and keep the wiki, because that Wiki is by far the best part of the site.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2009 5:47:36 PM
At 12/2/2009 5:44:46 PM, Volkov wrote:
As someone who was originally vested in the idea, I found it just sort of trailed off.

The Wiki is amazing. Everything else is either "okay" or just useless. The opinion pages were never really needed, the forums are also pointless, and the chat, while useful, never took off because there wasn't enough interest, which is understandable. I had such high hopes for the news, and I appreciate the effort others have had in it, but I don't think anyone looks, or cares.

I would probably scrap most of it, and keep the wiki, because that Wiki is by far the best part of the site.

I have to agree with you Volkov, I would scrap it but hey it doesn't really hurt or cause any extra work in keeping it, the way I figure more features = better. Even if it isn't used that much, just in case.

ddofans.com
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2009 5:53:01 PM
Why is there a debate.org fansite? That seems really pointless. It seems like anything you could have on that website could be had on this website... I see that there's a little community thing going on here, but does it really need another site honoring it?

"This is the greatest and best website in the world... Tribute"

Oh, and also, I went to your ddofan site, and the homepage played sounds without my permission, so I'm boycotting it.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2009 6:01:27 PM
At 12/2/2009 5:53:01 PM, Harlan wrote:
Why is there a debate.org fansite? That seems really pointless. It seems like anything you could have on that website could be had on this website... I see that there's a little community thing going on here, but does it really need another site honoring it?

Why not? It provides a centralized source of information on and for DDO, which is something you can't get here, given the fact that the forums and this site in general is neglected and incomplete.

The bells and whistles are just that - but there is some very useful information on there, and DDO should be proud that there are members and contributors willing enough to create such a site to benefit the entire community.

Oh, and also, I went to your ddofan site, and the homepage played sounds without my permission, so I'm boycotting it.

Yeah, we'll miss your contribution. Really.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2009 6:03:10 PM
At 12/2/2009 5:53:01 PM, Harlan wrote:

Apparently you haven't really perused the site, otherwise you could find very little honoring this site. It's mainly a site that makes of for the features of this site. Especially the wiki which has a great mafia section (thanks I-am-a-panda) that can be used in mafia games, and can also fill people in on what they've missed etc.

But But But, its Charlie Brown.

ddofans.com