Total Posts:34|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Permission Pertaining to Mafia

KRFournier
Posts: 690
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:01:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I don't care, although, I like the PM because I get emails and can read those (knowing what I haven't yet read) instead of flipping thru forum pages.
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:01:11 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Yeah sounds good to me man, better than using PMs.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:05:01 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/3/2009 5:03:39 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I vote for forums. Brb though (signing off for about an hour).

"Lwerd, is it really all that different for me? Cody had suspicion and I wanted the town to put pressure. Then the whole comoncents thing started and I thought I'd see if I could glean some information. From my perspective, Nags seemed a little too eager to bandwagon with me, so I counter voted to see what he'd do. In no time he counter-claims my role. He's mafia plain-and-simple."
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:23:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I disagree. Forum mafia is a privilege that brings focus to the game at hand. It distracts from Ragnar's game.
PM's are also prefered as a means of keeping the posting private.
If I were still playing, I'd want it in a PM.

There are no benefits to having it public except that your post count goes up, which is a sham. There are already objections to having mafia games in the forums at all, and two is pushing it.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:26:33 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/3/2009 5:23:32 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I disagree. Forum mafia is a privilege that brings focus to the game at hand. It distracts from Ragnar's game.
PM's are also prefered as a means of keeping the posting private.
If I were still playing, I'd want it in a PM.

There are no benefits to having it public except that your post count goes up, which is a sham.

Who the hell cares about post count? The benefit is that I don't have to read through a single page with 400 posts in it... if I want a piece of information I know is on page 20, I can find it instantly. I also don't get 400 emails.

There are already objections to having mafia games in the forums at all, and two is pushing it.

Who has such objections and why?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:28:03 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/3/2009 5:26:33 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 12/3/2009 5:23:32 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I disagree. Forum mafia is a privilege that brings focus to the game at hand. It distracts from Ragnar's game.
PM's are also prefered as a means of keeping the posting private.
If I were still playing, I'd want it in a PM.

There are no benefits to having it public except that your post count goes up, which is a sham.

Who the hell cares about post count? The benefit is that I don't have to read through a single page with 400 posts in it... if I want a piece of information I know is on page 20, I can find it instantly. I also don't get 400 emails.

Control F will find something quicker on one page than on 40.

There are already objections to having mafia games in the forums at all, and two is pushing it.

Who has such objections and why?

Names escape me. Users more active in debate. I believe Volkov feels this way.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:28:13 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/3/2009 5:23:32 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I disagree.

I did at first as well.

Forum mafia is a privilege that brings focus to the game at hand. It distracts from Ragnar's game.

Hmm, yeah, because everyone really has to stay focused while they wait about a week in between each day phase.

PM's are also prefered as a means of keeping the posting private.

Well, obviously...

There are no benefits to having it public except that your post count goes up, which is a sham.

Faster, more efficient, easier to navigate, etc.

There are already objections to having mafia games in the forums at all, and two is pushing it.

What objections?
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:29:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I completely agree with Leethal.

Seriously, who the hell cares? How is this taking away from Ragnar's game? Ragnar's game is slow moving and will BE slow moving just based on the nature of RPGs and how he has it set up. The benefit to having it in the forum is so you can SEE WHAT'S GOING ON... In the PM, I get lost constantly because e-mails back and forth don't show up, you miss things, etc. Let's put it to a vote if people have such an issue with it. I vote forum.

Forum--2
PM--1
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:30:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Volkov can suck it in this regard lol. If people have a problem with the mafia game being in the forums then they don't have to click on the thread that says "Mafia Game" and POOF it's not their problem.
President of DDO
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:32:43 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
PM Mafia games also go much faster than forum games because there is an instant alert when something happens. No mafia game has ever lasted less than a week on the forums.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Harlan
Posts: 1,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:34:00 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Yeah, I like the thread. The only differences are positive ones.

It's not like any one follows mafia games except for those playing, and hopefully the moderators are smart enough to give distinguishing names to the threads, so it shouldn't make any difference in the slightest.

Plus, this game is going to be super quick, with 24-hour day-phases.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:34:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/3/2009 5:28:13 PM, Nags wrote:
There are no benefits to having it public except that your post count goes up, which is a sham.

Faster, more efficient, easier to navigate, etc.

Disagree entirely. Control F will consistently find a post quicker on one page than on forty. If I have to go page by page looking for one post, it takes forever. It's much easier on one page.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:36:41 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/3/2009 5:34:08 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Disagree entirely. Control F will consistently find a post quicker on one page than on forty. If I have to go page by page looking for one post, it takes forever. It's much easier on one page.

I never made the finding post quicker argument. But if you want to bring that up... your point is moot because we now have a google forum search. Most people don't use Control F anyway. Most people don't look for specific words. If anything, this is a negative for pm mafia.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:39:11 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/3/2009 5:36:41 PM, Nags wrote:
At 12/3/2009 5:34:08 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Disagree entirely. Control F will consistently find a post quicker on one page than on forty. If I have to go page by page looking for one post, it takes forever. It's much easier on one page.

I never made the finding post quicker argument. ("Faster, more efficient, easier to navigate")But if you want to bring that up... your point is moot because we now have a google forum search. Most people don't use Control F anyway. Most people don't look for specific words. If anything, this is a negative for pm mafia.

Control F is much quicker than forum search and doesn't require the opening of a second page. Also, forum search looks for words...(fail)
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Harlan
Posts: 1,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:39:58 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/3/2009 5:36:41 PM, Nags wrote:
At 12/3/2009 5:34:08 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Disagree entirely. Control F will consistently find a post quicker on one page than on forty. If I have to go page by page looking for one post, it takes forever. It's much easier on one page.

I never made the finding post quicker argument. But if you want to bring that up... your point is moot because we now have a google forum search. Most people don't use Control F anyway. Most people don't look for specific words. If anything, this is a negative for pm mafia.

Google forum search? Where?

Though Control F does have benefits, I would agree. I think that, overall, the negatives of PMs outweigh this, though.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:40:01 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
wjmelements - The reason PM games go faster is because they're structured to do so (less players with more important and decisive roles). The forums are better than PMs because in the PM, if you're writing a response while other people are, you don't know if you've missed it, there's constant scrolling back, everything is uniform so it's hard to read and make sense of things, it's harder to keep track of the vote count, you can't bold or italicize things, etc. There is no good reason not to have it in the forums. Your only reason is that (1) the PM games go faster which I have already addressed, (2) Volkov doesn't like it, which I have also addressed, and (3) Ragnar's game will be "distracted from" which I have also addressed. So far it's 3--1. I think you'll be out voted. No use in dividing the town over this to boot. Let's just get back to the game (here).
President of DDO
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:46:09 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/3/2009 5:40:01 PM, theLwerd wrote:
wjmelements - The reason PM games go faster is because they're structured to do so (less players with more important and decisive roles).
Actually, a fifteen player game on the forums takes two weeks to a month. See Murder Mansion Mafia.
The forums are better than PMs because in the PM, if you're writing a response while other people are, you don't know if you've missed it,
There is the exact same problem on the forums. The post-writing page is entirely separate from the wording. For both systems, the best way to tell if anyone has posted is to keep the thread open on a separate tab and hit refresh while writing a post.
there's constant scrolling back,
There's constant paging back.
it's harder to keep track of the vote count,
Control F
you can't bold or italicize things, etc.
Legitimate claim, outweighed by efficiency.
There is no good reason not to have it in the forums. Your only reason
You then proceed to list out three of my points, not mentioning two others.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:48:11 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/3/2009 5:39:58 PM, Harlan wrote:
Google forum search? Where?

The debate search (Google Search) now works with forums too.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:49:40 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
This is absolutely retarded. If the forum weren't preferable than PM, then how come ALL mafia games are not played in PM? The reason is because people don't like it. It's obnoxious. The forum is a more appropriate, and I just think it should be kept to a vote. If more people prefer PM, then we'll do it there. If not, then here.

Forum: 3
PM:1
President of DDO
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:51:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Lwerd, there has always been only one forum game going on. The original mafia games were PM. Even when the first forum mafia was introduced, there were two PM games going on.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Harlan
Posts: 1,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 5:52:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/3/2009 5:48:11 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 12/3/2009 5:39:58 PM, Harlan wrote:
Google forum search? Where?

The debate search (Google Search) now works with forums too.

Hmmm, tried that out, but can't figure that out. I was still only getting debates.

But anyways, another way to search the forums is to just to append "Site:Debate.org/forums" To the end of a search in google.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 6:00:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/3/2009 5:51:12 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Lwerd, there has always been only one forum game going on. The original mafia games were PM. Even when the first forum mafia was introduced, there were two PM games going on.

Just because there's a precedent doesn't mean it's a good one. The reason the other games have been PM are not to "distract" from the bigger games going on; however, that's kind of silly. Ragnar's game is slow paced, will CONTINUE to be slow paced, and I think we're perfectly capable of keeping the 2 games separate. They're entirely different. Again, I know your opinion and you know mine. So let's see how the others feel. I don't care if it's in the PM - I just think it's unnecessary (and the inferior option).
President of DDO