Jump to topic:

The Things that We Get Too Defensive About

Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 11:58:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't know. I'm pretty laid back so long as the person isn't coming from a place of malice. I imagine you respond negatively to ginger humor?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:11:19 AM
At 6/27/2013 11:58:25 PM, Noumena wrote:
I don't know. I'm pretty laid back so long as the person isn't coming from a place of malice. I imagine you respond negatively to ginger humor?

Not anymore. My emotions have been dulled severely by the constant non<x>stop bullying. It ate away at a soul that they didn't believe I even had until eventually, I truly didn't have one anymore, and I no longer became offended by a single word they said.

So nah :D
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:15:21 AM
At 6/27/2013 11:47:08 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
We all have 'em.

What harmless humor do you not tolerate?

Interesting topic here.. I would say what mine is, but that would be kind of foolish to do.. So I'll pass..
"We conclude that our salvation is of The Lord. He is the One who regenerates us. Those whom He regenerates come to Christ. Without regeneration no one will ever come to Christ. With regeneration no one will ever reject Him. God's saving grace effects what He intends to effect by it. ~ R. C. Sproul
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:17:52 AM
We all have 'em.

I know I have one, I just don't know what it is yet
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:20:44 AM

I've never really gotten ginger humor... granted, I've got brown hair and brown eyes, but it just seems futile to demean someone for what they look like. I'd much rather demean a person for other reasons...

That, and there are some really sexy gingers (like Prince Harry).
Tsar of DDO
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:29:35 AM
I don't like jokes that trivialize legitimately horrific acts (rape and murder). Aside from that I'm pretty difficult to offend, unless the joke is made in a really inappropriate setting.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:38:33 AM
At 6/28/2013 12:29:35 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I don't like jokes that trivialize legitimately horrific acts (rape and murder).

How do you feel about dead baby jokes?

Aside from that I'm pretty difficult to offend, unless the joke is made in a really inappropriate setting.
Tsar of DDO
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:38:34 AM
Personally, I defend these things at the spur of the moment, no matter what:

My Little Pony: It's a good show, put your demographics down.

The Star Fox Sequels: Contrary to belief, most of them were pretty good.

Chick-Fil-A: F*CK MORALITY, IT'S DELICIOUS.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:42:37 AM
At 6/28/2013 12:38:34 AM, MassiveDump wrote:

You're just weird, kiddo.

I don't know what that is.

I ate at Chic Filet a few days ago, as a gay man. I was hungry... and didn't want sh!tty Chinese food.
Tsar of DDO
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:46:24 AM
The problem with a thread like this, Massive, is we know you'll use it against us!
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:48:25 AM
At 6/28/2013 12:46:24 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
The problem with a thread like this, Massive, is we know you'll use it against us!

A clever person would ask not to be thrown into the briar patch.
Tsar of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:49:08 AM
I get defensive about quite a few things although I view it as a character flaw of mine and try to not get defensive in the future.

For instance, when people ask loaded questions where the premise of the question is unjustified.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:59:17 AM
At 6/28/2013 12:49:08 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I get defensive about quite a few things although I view it as a character flaw of mine and try to not get defensive in the future.

For instance, when people ask loaded questions where the premise of the question is unjustified.

Everyone knows that your weakness is pointing out that MIGs are better than the American planes.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 1:01:54 AM
We all have 'em.

I gave it some thought, and can't think of anything.

Even the question frames it as "harmless humor".

I don't get defensive about much, even jokes made to personally affect me... I make more casual Jewish stereotype jokes than anyone. Also working in any healthcare related industry you deal with lots of "gallows humor" and unfortunately become kind of desensitized to that after awhile.

Though I'm not comfortable around people who commonly and casually make racist jokes. Not because I'm necessarily offended, but because of how I evaluate that individuals character. This is the same way in which I evaluate those who, for example, use the word retard/retarded casually in conversation. I generally find them to be unsophisticated/uneducated and not worth spending extended periods of time around. This example isn't always the case, but everyone should certainly get it out of their vernacular as they get older. The same goes with jokes that paint that individual as some kind of bigot/sexist.
Debate.org Moderator
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 1:07:01 AM
Nothing really offends me. My sense of humor could best be describes and irreverent and sociopathic.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 1:08:44 AM
I've spent some time thinking about this, and here's the best three I can come up with for tonight (in increasing degrees of rage, one being the least likely to provoke a defensive response and three being the most likely).

(1) I get very angry when people manipulate facts for their own purposes, or just outrightly lie to try to win arguments. I can understand that there are deficits in all of our knowledge, but if I can rule ignorance out and I catch someone lying about facts or misrepresenting them, I tend to get pissed. I also tend to loose all respect for anyone who does that.

(2) I get very defensive (to the point where I am intimidating) when I see people getting bullied -especially by people older than them. When adults joke humorously about kids is one thing, but when it crosses the line of maliciousness I tend to be nothing less than rabid (as perhaps some of you have seen).

(3) I get very defensive when I see people make malicious anti-gay remarks in public. If I see someone shout "Hey f@ggots!" in public, I always shout back or outrightly retaliate. Is that the right thing to do? Maybe. Maybe not. The moral/ethical questions/implications are secondary to the will for vendetta in those senses.
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 1:55:13 AM
At 6/28/2013 12:17:52 AM, imabench wrote:
We all have 'em.

I know I have one, I just don't know what it is yet

Is it pranks involving termites?
My work here is, finally, done.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:03:18 AM
At 6/28/2013 12:49:08 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Are you going to take those posters of Hitler down from your wall?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 11:50:49 AM
At 6/28/2013 12:42:37 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/28/2013 12:38:34 AM, MassiveDump wrote:

You're just weird, kiddo.

I hope you didn't just figure this out.

I don't know what that is.

A video game series I was crazy about up until very recently.

I ate at Chic Filet a few days ago, as a gay man. I was hungry... and didn't want sh!tty Chinese food.

What? Why wouldn't you want sh!tty Chinese food?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 2:05:04 PM
We all have 'em.

"harmless humor?" You better state that either before or immediately after. Leaving it to the other person to interpret it as "harmless humor" is a very bad idea.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 8:13:19 PM
At 6/28/2013 12:38:33 AM, YYW wrote:
I don't like jokes that trivialize legitimately horrific acts (rape and murder).

How do you feel about dead baby jokes?

I'm not really offended by them, but I don't understand the humor either. As an aside, I would honestly be more apalled by the idea of a fully grown human being killed, though both are abhorrent. I don't see why a baby, which can't even form a proper thought, should be valued at a higher level than someone who can. Anyway, as far as I can see it's the irreverence that people like about the jokes, not the actual idea of killing a baby, which is what would offend me.

Aside from that I'm pretty difficult to offend, unless the joke is made in a really inappropriate setting.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 8:31:51 PM
I don't like jokes that trivialize legitimately horrific acts (rape and murder). Aside from that I'm pretty difficult to offend, unless the joke is made in a really inappropriate setting.

Dude, I thought this was funny. =)
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 8:41:51 PM
When people ask me "Do you even lift?"

I hate that.

Last time it happened I ran to my car, pulled out my gun, and shot the little sh*t right in the kneecap.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 9:10:07 PM
At 6/28/2013 9:09:35 PM, Mirza wrote:
I never engage in or enjoy humor against religion. It's dull and overused.

As a general rule, I agree.
Tsar of DDO
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 9:11:49 PM
At 6/28/2013 12:20:44 AM, YYW wrote:

I've never really gotten ginger humor... granted, I've got brown hair and brown eyes, but it just seems futile to demean someone for what they look like. I'd much rather demean a person for other reasons...

That, and there are some really sexy gingers (like Prince Harry).

Middle school was the era of ginger humor for me. It was either comparisons to Ron Weasley, jokes about souls, or reference to Timmy from South Park. I always took it in stride though the fact that the jokes were usually weak regurgitations of played out jokes offended my comedic sensibilities.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 9:14:53 PM
At 6/28/2013 9:10:07 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/28/2013 9:09:35 PM, Mirza wrote:
I never engage in or enjoy humor against religion. It's dull and overused.

As a general rule, I agree.
As an exception I don't mind humor that targets something in religious people -- e.g., the one with a Jew, Muslim, and Christian walking into a bar. That one's got class.