Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

What is your opinion on Richard Dawkins?

GOP
Posts: 453
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:00:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 8:52:53 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
>thread is too smart for \misc\

Well I thought /misc/ would be the best place for stuff like this. It's just an opinion about a person.
MassiveDump
Posts: 3,423
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:05:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 9:00:14 PM, GOP wrote:
At 7/1/2013 8:52:53 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
>thread is too smart for \misc\

Well I thought /misc/ would be the best place for stuff like this. It's just an opinion about a person.

It feels more science-worthy to me. But if you've seen \misc\, you know ain't nothing serious xD
2-D
Posts: 226
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:21:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Atheist version of the pope we line up on Sundays for a cracker :). I've enjoyed his books and ideas. I appreciate his position that religious ideas can be challenged like any other to promote a healthy dialogue between secular and religious positions.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:28:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 8:44:54 PM, GOP wrote:
Is he a smart guy, or an utter moron?

He's very smart, of course, albeit, he can be a bit moronic, though more commonly just ignorant, when it comes to religion and philosophy.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:45:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 9:28:03 PM, phantom wrote:
At 7/1/2013 8:44:54 PM, GOP wrote:
Is he a smart guy, or an utter moron?

He's very smart, of course, albeit, he can be a bit moronic, though more commonly just ignorant, when it comes to religion and philosophy.

This. When Harris and Dawkins try to talk philosophy I just want to curl up into a ball and die.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 9:50:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 9:45:03 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/1/2013 9:28:03 PM, phantom wrote:
At 7/1/2013 8:44:54 PM, GOP wrote:
Is he a smart guy, or an utter moron?

He's very smart, of course, albeit, he can be a bit moronic, though more commonly just ignorant, when it comes to religion and philosophy.

This. When Harris and Dawkins try to talk philosophy I just want to curl up into a ball and die.

I haven't read him, so could you give me a few examples?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 10:04:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 9:50:36 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 7/1/2013 9:45:03 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/1/2013 9:28:03 PM, phantom wrote:
At 7/1/2013 8:44:54 PM, GOP wrote:
Is he a smart guy, or an utter moron?

He's very smart, of course, albeit, he can be a bit moronic, though more commonly just ignorant, when it comes to religion and philosophy.

This. When Harris and Dawkins try to talk philosophy I just want to curl up into a ball and die.

I haven't read him, so could you give me a few examples?

Which one?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
GOP
Posts: 453
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 10:11:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 9:05:19 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 7/1/2013 9:00:14 PM, GOP wrote:
At 7/1/2013 8:52:53 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
>thread is too smart for \misc\

Well I thought /misc/ would be the best place for stuff like this. It's just an opinion about a person.

It feels more science-worthy to me. But if you've seen \misc\, you know ain't nothing serious xD

Well, it's about a person..that's why I didn't put it in the science section.
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 10:22:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 10:04:31 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/1/2013 9:50:36 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 7/1/2013 9:45:03 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/1/2013 9:28:03 PM, phantom wrote:
At 7/1/2013 8:44:54 PM, GOP wrote:
Is he a smart guy, or an utter moron?

He's very smart, of course, albeit, he can be a bit moronic, though more commonly just ignorant, when it comes to religion and philosophy.

This. When Harris and Dawkins try to talk philosophy I just want to curl up into a ball and die.

I haven't read him, so could you give me a few examples?

Which one?

Eh, either.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 10:31:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 10:22:05 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 7/1/2013 10:04:31 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/1/2013 9:50:36 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 7/1/2013 9:45:03 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/1/2013 9:28:03 PM, phantom wrote:
At 7/1/2013 8:44:54 PM, GOP wrote:
Is he a smart guy, or an utter moron?

He's very smart, of course, albeit, he can be a bit moronic, though more commonly just ignorant, when it comes to religion and philosophy.

This. When Harris and Dawkins try to talk philosophy I just want to curl up into a ball and die.

I haven't read him, so could you give me a few examples?

Which one?

Eh, either.

Harris' philosophical blunders are more easily noticeable. Just find a quick summary of his book "the moral landscape" to see why.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 10:49:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 10:31:22 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/1/2013 10:22:05 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 7/1/2013 10:04:31 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/1/2013 9:50:36 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 7/1/2013 9:45:03 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/1/2013 9:28:03 PM, phantom wrote:
At 7/1/2013 8:44:54 PM, GOP wrote:
Is he a smart guy, or an utter moron?

He's very smart, of course, albeit, he can be a bit moronic, though more commonly just ignorant, when it comes to religion and philosophy.

This. When Harris and Dawkins try to talk philosophy I just want to curl up into a ball and die.

I haven't read him, so could you give me a few examples?

Which one?

Eh, either.

Harris' philosophical blunders are more easily noticeable. Just find a quick summary of his book "the moral landscape" to see why.

Yeah, I agree. It seems like something I would have written as a twelve-year old.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 11:09:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Free Will's really bad too.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 12:29:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 8:44:54 PM, GOP wrote:
Is he a smart guy, or an utter moron?

I have heard one scientist before describe him as a brilliant man but 'a bit of a reptile' whatever that means.

He didn't say it like meant anything hateful by it so must conclude it was a non-judgmental observation about his behavior.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
2-D
Posts: 226
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 12:40:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 9:45:03 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/1/2013 9:28:03 PM, phantom wrote:
At 7/1/2013 8:44:54 PM, GOP wrote:
Is he a smart guy, or an utter moron?

He's very smart, of course, albeit, he can be a bit moronic, though more commonly just ignorant, when it comes to religion and philosophy.

This. When Harris and Dawkins try to talk philosophy I just want to curl up into a ball and die.

Yes Harris is a Cognitive Scientist and Dawkins an Evolutionary biologist, for anyone not aware. They dabble in philosophy hopefully encouraging an otherwise dwindling public curiosity on the topic. I appreciate that Harris would like to open a dialogue between experimental Science and Ethics. I appreciate that Dawkins would like to feed back to religion that rejecting evolution at this point is insane and open up a dialogue with religion.

They're surface men, they don't discuss anything too deeply and get ideas out there. I really enjoy pop non-fiction because it gets ideas across disciplines and those who don't normally read know there names and can google their videos.
2-D
Posts: 226
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 12:52:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 12:29:48 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 7/1/2013 8:44:54 PM, GOP wrote:
Is he a smart guy, or an utter moron?

I have heard one scientist before describe him as a brilliant man but 'a bit of a reptile' whatever that means.

He didn't say it like meant anything hateful by it so must conclude it was a non-judgmental observation about his behavior.

I believe this was David Berlinski on the Creationism Documentary 'Expelled.' I think in context he was commenting how socially awkward he can be. I was actually thinking of another of his quotes when I joked that Dawkins is the Atheist Pope.