Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Why do some people say "nac"?

GOP
Posts: 453
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 1:47:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
OK, some of you may think this belongs to the debate.org board, or elsewhere, but I have seen this happen more around /misc/. That's why I put it here.

So, why do some people say "nac" after saying something? What does "nac" mean?
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 1:48:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 1:47:18 AM, GOP wrote:
OK, some of you may think this belongs to the debate.org board, or elsewhere, but I have seen this happen more around /misc/. That's why I put it here.

So, why do some people say "nac" after saying something? What does "nac" mean?

nac means not actually
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
GOP
Posts: 453
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 1:50:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 1:48:43 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 7/4/2013 1:47:18 AM, GOP wrote:
OK, some of you may think this belongs to the debate.org board, or elsewhere, but I have seen this happen more around /misc/. That's why I put it here.

So, why do some people say "nac" after saying something? What does "nac" mean?

nac means not actually

So, it's another way of saying "not"?
For example, one could say, "You're so cool. NOT!"
Just like that, one could say, "You're so cool. Nac!"
Am I correct?
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 1:55:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 1:50:36 AM, GOP wrote:
At 7/4/2013 1:48:43 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 7/4/2013 1:47:18 AM, GOP wrote:
OK, some of you may think this belongs to the debate.org board, or elsewhere, but I have seen this happen more around /misc/. That's why I put it here.

So, why do some people say "nac" after saying something? What does "nac" mean?

nac means not actually

So, it's another way of saying "not"?
For example, one could say, "You're so cool. NOT!"
Just like that, one could say, "You're so cool. Nac!"
Am I correct?

No, but only because I believe you've been misled as to the meaning. In general on this site, nac is used because (at least previously, I don't know about NuDDO) the site would not allow an all-capital letter post. So users would append "nac" for "not all capitals". At least that's how it was described to me when I asked an older user of the site, and since then it's seemed to hold true...I have only seen it on posts that would otherwise be all-capitals.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 1:57:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 1:55:49 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/4/2013 1:50:36 AM, GOP wrote:
At 7/4/2013 1:48:43 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 7/4/2013 1:47:18 AM, GOP wrote:
OK, some of you may think this belongs to the debate.org board, or elsewhere, but I have seen this happen more around /misc/. That's why I put it here.

So, why do some people say "nac" after saying something? What does "nac" mean?

nac means not actually

So, it's another way of saying "not"?
For example, one could say, "You're so cool. NOT!"
Just like that, one could say, "You're so cool. Nac!"
Am I correct?

No, but only because I believe you've been misled as to the meaning. In general on this site, nac is used because (at least previously, I don't know about NuDDO) the site would not allow an all-capital letter post. So users would append "nac" for "not all capitals". At least that's how it was described to me when I asked an older user of the site, and since then it's seemed to hold true...I have only seen it on posts that would otherwise be all-capitals.

i've used it as not actually and seen it used as i have
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 1:58:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I had this question added to the FAQ at the bottom of the page because it is asked so often. So check out the site FAQ because it is very useful.

It means "Not All Caps".

The forums have a restriction that prevents posts with all capital letters.

If I were to say:

"HI"

I'd need to add "nac" (or "not all caps") so that it would go through.

Thus my post would look like:
...
HI

nac
...

http://www.debate.org...
Debate.org Moderator
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 1:58:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The happy independence day post in this same forum channel would seem to be confirmation...I don't think the nac at the end of it is for "not actually"
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:00:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
And Airmax beats me to the punch with formal confirmation!
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
airmax1227
Posts: 13,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:10:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 2:00:46 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
And Airmax beats me to the punch with formal confirmation!

haha It happens...

I'm really just trying to find any reason to advertise the new and improved FAQ, because it's pretty groovy and filled with useful information.
Debate.org Moderator
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:22:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think it could also mean "Not a chance", (in addition to "not all caps").
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
GOP
Posts: 453
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:42:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 1:58:14 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
I had this question added to the FAQ at the bottom of the page because it is asked so often. So check out the site FAQ because it is very useful.

It means "Not All Caps".

The forums have a restriction that prevents posts with all capital letters.

If I were to say:

"HI"

I'd need to add "nac" (or "not all caps") so that it would go through.

Thus my post would look like:
...
HI

nac
...

http://www.debate.org...

Oh, it was in the FAQs? Nevermind. Sorry, airmax.
THE_OPINIONATOR
Posts: 575
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 12:32:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 9:22:31 AM, MassiveDump wrote:
Nac: Not that Anyone Cares.

Nac: Nobody Attended Class.

Nac: Noodles Attacking Children o_O

Nac: Nobody Attacking Children
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
MassiveDump
Posts: 3,423
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 12:35:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 12:32:41 PM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
At 7/4/2013 9:22:31 AM, MassiveDump wrote:
Nac: Not that Anyone Cares.

Nac: Nobody Attended Class.

Nac: Noodles Attacking Children o_O

Nac: Nobody Attacking Children

Nac: Namibian Antelopes Cuddling
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 12:42:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 12:35:24 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 7/4/2013 12:32:41 PM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
At 7/4/2013 9:22:31 AM, MassiveDump wrote:
Nac: Not that Anyone Cares.

Nac: Nobody Attended Class.

Nac: Noodles Attacking Children o_O

Nac: Nobody Attacking Children

Nac: Namibian Antelopes Cuddling

Nac: Nordic Acupuncture Cups
MassiveDump
Posts: 3,423
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 1:07:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 12:42:13 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/4/2013 12:35:24 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 7/4/2013 12:32:41 PM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
At 7/4/2013 9:22:31 AM, MassiveDump wrote:
Nac: Not that Anyone Cares.

Nac: Nobody Attended Class.

Nac: Noodles Attacking Children o_O

Nac: Nobody Attacking Children

Nac: Namibian Antelopes Cuddling

Nac: Nordic Acupuncture Cups

Nac: Never Ask CP