Jump to topic:

do sociopaths have any real purpose?

RocketEngineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 3:00:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've been contemplating a lot lately about my actual purpose on this planet. I cannot think of any. I don't connect with humans very well. I fake most of my emotions with people because I don't feel anything, or even know what its like to feel. I think I am a smart person, but I am selfish, and don't really care about other people. I have had girlfriends before but I have never actually felt anything more for them than their mere presence. I don't think I am gay either.

I've been receiving therapy and counseling since I was 15. My parents made me because I did something really bad. I have never felt bad about the thing I did, though I know I should. I don't think therapy fixed me at all though I pretended it did. I am not scared to talk to people at all, but I can't connect to anything people say. I am very cordial and polite, but I feel conversation is pointless. I don't feel what people call "sad" I don't think. I think about only myself at almost all times. I am told this is bad, though I never understand why. Life bores me; I constantly make goals that I feel benefit me. Service to others makes me feel like I waste my time.

I don't want to commit suicide, but the logical parts questions if I need to, as I don't really benefit anyone other than myself by living.
Anyways, I am not looking for attention with this post, but I would like advice, or discussion at the very least on the purpose in life that I might have, because I can't find it.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 3:15:11 AM
You are a human, you need only connect with yourself to be able to connect with others. You need only understand how you would feel in situations, so understand how others feel.

If you really think your a sociopath, I suggest you actually, seriously, take counseling. Dont fake it, take it seriously. You need to actually train yourself to feel things. Its hard but possible. As a sociopath you need equate it to yourself, as sociopaths care more for themselves than anything else, at least from my understanding.

Do you have a purpose? Idk, I don't even know my purpose, so I can't help you there. But even if you don't, does that mean you don't deserve to life? No, of course not, you make your own purpose, its not decided for you. Jus sayin
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 12:36:00 PM
At 7/14/2013 3:00:12 AM, RocketEngineer wrote:
I've been contemplating a lot lately about my actual purpose on this planet. I cannot think of any. I don't connect with humans very well. I fake most of my emotions with people because I don't feel anything, or even know what its like to feel. I think I am a smart person, but I am selfish, and don't really care about other people. I have had girlfriends before but I have never actually felt anything more for them than their mere presence. I don't think I am gay either.

I've been receiving therapy and counseling since I was 15. My parents made me because I did something really bad. I have never felt bad about the thing I did, though I know I should. I don't think therapy fixed me at all though I pretended it did. I am not scared to talk to people at all, but I can't connect to anything people say. I am very cordial and polite, but I feel conversation is pointless. I don't feel what people call "sad" I don't think. I think about only myself at almost all times. I am told this is bad, though I never understand why. Life bores me; I constantly make goals that I feel benefit me. Service to others makes me feel like I waste my time.

I don't want to commit suicide, but the logical parts questions if I need to, as I don't really benefit anyone other than myself by living.
Anyways, I am not looking for attention with this post, but I would like advice, or discussion at the very least on the purpose in life that I might have, because I can't find it.

What your purpose is in life is not less nor more clear than anyone else.

Just because other people are more easily swayed by innate emotional attachment, doesn't mean their existence is of any more "worth" than yours.

At worst, consider yourself analogous to a functioning autistic. An autistic person has deficits concerning reading empathy in others. However, over time the person can learn coping mechanisms and become a functioning autistic no different than any other person in society. There's no real difference morally between him and another. Why should one have a "purpose" that the other doesn't?

Being self-centered doesn't mean you have to be ignorant of other people's feelings or motives. It's one thing to not give charity to a homeless guy you'll never meet and another to steal from your sister because you ran out of cash. A functioning member of society doesn't have to be generous, but he has to be conscious of how his interactions effect others.

However, I wouldn't be so quick to label yourself uncurable. Even psychopaths experience sadness. They may not experience sadness on the behalf of others, but they still can experience sadness.

If you're self-interested, then I think you should be focusing on is why you aren't able to feel sad. If you can't experience the lows, you probably aren't experiencing the highs. People who truly never feel sad are like that because they've created a situation where they cannot be hurt.

You will not be able to achieve your full potential in whatever it is you hope to do if that is your problem. Even if all you want to do is sit on a couch the rest of your life, it will be a less fulfilling and interesting experience than if you had a full range of emotional experience.

But the only person qualified to help you figure that out is a licensed psychologist/psychiatrist.