Jump to topic:

What are the chances...

leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 1:47:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
of getting caught downloading torrents? Johngriswald, I'm looking in your direction here. Do you ever worry about it? Are there ways to ensure you can't get busted?

I just saw a story on the news about some college kid who got done for downloading a measly 25 songs and got fined $750,000. Kinda put a scare into me.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 1:56:37 PM
At 12/8/2009 1:47:47 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
of getting caught downloading torrents? Johngriswald, I'm looking in your direction here. Do you ever worry about it? Are there ways to ensure you can't get busted?

I just saw a story on the news about some college kid who got done for downloading a measly 25 songs and got fined $750,000. Kinda put a scare into me.

Depends on the country, the ISP and what you do with the downloads. Most cases are from distribution profit after the downloads.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:00:41 PM
At 12/8/2009 1:56:37 PM, Puck wrote:

Depends on the country, the ISP and what you do with the downloads. Most cases are from distribution profit after the downloads.

Oh ok... have you ever heard of someone getting caught in Australia? I might do some Googlin'. That story freaked me out man.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:00:50 PM
To start off your chances of actually getting busted are about the odds of a shark attack.

Your chances of getting a letter telling you to stop pirating are a lot greater.

It all depends

1. What you download
2. Who your ISP is
3. How you pirate

1. What you download
Order of risk from greatest to lowest.
1. Movies in theatre
2. HBO or paid for TV shows that are not a part of cable
3. Movies that just came out on DVD/came out on dvd
4. Newly released PC Games
5. Old Movies released 20+ years ago
6. TV shows that currently aren't being run
7. PC Games that are not being sold in store

2. What your ISP is. Comcast is owned by Time Warner Cable, look at your ISP and their involvement in anti P2P activity. Some such as comcast are in bed with the bad guys, some do relatively nothing to help. Do your research on this one, just don't pirate with comcast or EVER on a university ISP.

3. How much of your stuff was done on torrents? 50% 80% 20%? People have dvd collections, people rent movies, people have external hard drives. Use these resources first before torrenting. You'll sleep a lot easier, and the risk will be much lower.

Also you can pay 20 bucks a month to have complete safety. Google what a seedbox is. Also if your neighbor has unsecured wireless, this is the next best thing to a seedbox.

Tips in case you get a letter:

1. Don't respond to it, don't admit guilt
2. Find a wireless router connect and use it unsecured
3. If taken to court claim you don't know how to set one up and you don't know if people could be using your internet, use truecrypt to double-encrypt your hard drives. Admit nothing, claim ignorance.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:15:41 PM
Thanks John that's some good info. What do you make of this, I found on a forum:

------------------------
1. http://www.mininova.org...

Grab the uTorrent IP Filter Updater and run it.

This is for updating the ip filter list in µTorrent which will create a blacklist of IP addresses to block (MPAA/RIAA/AntiPiracy etc). To enable IP filtering in µTorrent, set "ipfilter.enable" to "true" in µTorrent's Advanced Options. To reload ipfilter.dat without restarting µTorrent, simply set ipfilter.enable to false, then to true again.

2. Download and install PeerGuardian 2

Make sure peerguardian is up to date and enabled.

3. Privoxy is also a good program to have running.

I've been using uTorrent for a number of years now and have never been sent a single notice. I would conclude in this instance at least that the above mentioned tactics have reduced the bullseye on my IP address from the size of the Milky Way Galaxy to the size of a sparrow in flight.
-----------------------------------

Good advice? Should I get these programs?

Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 4:31:52 PM

Wow, really? 750,00 dollars?

The legal system can be pretty dumb. He effectively stole (if you can even call it stealing) less than $25 worth of goods, yet he is fined 30,000 times that amount.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 4:42:00 PM
At 12/8/2009 4:31:52 PM, Harlan wrote:

Wow, really? 750,00 dollars?

The legal system can be pretty dumb. He effectively stole (if you can even call it stealing) less than $25 worth of goods, yet he is fined 30,000 times that amount.

Yeah ridiculous right? I've seen rapists get off lighter.

johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 5:26:35 PM
At 12/8/2009 2:15:41 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
Good advice? Should I get these programs?

All complete BS, and poor advice.

Those who use webcrawler tech to catch us, have it so their IP is randomized, its not predictable. The same with other anti p2p firms. They know these progs exist and their methods of catching people are bypass these progs.

My advice: spread yourself out among a lot of private sites (utilize private sites with freeleech on some torrents) If you gather 50+ private sites, you should have all the content of public sites. Also on each one you look like a small fish. Use tor to visit as many sites as you can. Don't use tor's bandwidth for the actual torrents, just to download them so you can start them. Force encrypt utorrent, don't allow incoming legacy connections.

Make each username and password on the private sites completely different. Split a friends seedbox to pirate and pay him in cash.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com