A really stupid question

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 10:23:07 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
But I really can't turn on the english part of my brain today:

If you are going through a law made in 1973 (say), and a specific rule under it is substituted by an amendment in 1990; does that mean that the rule has been substituted IN the document, (and so, I don't need to look for the amendment on google), or does that mean that the rule has been substituted, and so I need to look for the amendment elsewhere? (and the rule given was the rule made in 1973).
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 10:27:47 AM
That's not really an English question, so no worries. ;)

Anyway, I guess it depends on what document you're looking at. If you're looking at a law as it currently stands, the amendment should already be worked into it. If you're looking at a law as passed in 1973, you'd have to find the amendment.

I'd personally recommend, if possible, just finding the amendment: better to be safe than sorry.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 10:40:16 AM
I can't really find the amendment anywhere on google, hence the question. :-(

Although the government website, under its rules and acts section, it brings up the 1973 act, and nothing else. I don't know if that means that all the amendments have been incorporated in the act or not.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 6:12:19 PM
Which law is it? Maybe we can help in the search
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 11:18:02 PM
Why is this "A really stupid question"?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 1:00:34 AM
At 7/15/2013 10:23:07 AM, Cermank wrote:
But I really can't turn on the english part of my brain today:

If you are going through a law made in 1973 (say), and a specific rule under it is substituted by an amendment in 1990; does that mean that the rule has been substituted IN the document, (and so, I don't need to look for the amendment on google), or does that mean that the rule has been substituted, and so I need to look for the amendment elsewhere? (and the rule given was the rule made in 1973).

This has to be the derpiest frackin question I've seen today. Albeit its the first one cause its shortly after midnight, but still... GAWSH, what a derp Cermank -_-

In all seriousness though, it all depends on where you are looking. I don't think you are referring to U.S. Law else I would say just use the library of congress, where they have all current and up to date federal and state statutes available for viewing online.(whether it costs anything idk).

I can only assume most other counties do something similar, wherein there is a government website that one can look up and read statutes.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 3:05:49 AM
Lol thanks guys, it was included in the document. They inserted the amendment in brackets. Sometimes, ze brain just doesn't work.

I thought substituted BY an amendment would be self explanatory or something.