Jump to topic:

Synesthesia

leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 7:00:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Is it just me or is synesthesia awesome?

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Particularly interesting in my opinion is so-called grapheme-color synesthesia, where each letter or number is seen as a different color by the person with the disorder. A chick with the disorder said "I realized that to make an R all I had to do was first write a P and draw a line down from its loop. And I was so surprised that I could turn a yellow letter into an orange letter just by adding a line." Now that's cool.

I also think the lexical-gustatory type is awesome, where particular words trigger certain tastes to be felt on the tongue.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 7:08:20 PM
Yeah, I read a lot about that a few years ago. It really is a fascinating phenomenon. It manifests itself in many different ways, as well.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 7:15:52 PM
At 12/8/2009 7:08:20 PM, JBlake wrote:
Yeah, I read a lot about that a few years ago. It really is a fascinating phenomenon. It manifests itself in many different ways, as well.

To your knowledge, can people have many forms of synesthesia at the same time? For example are there people who can look at the letter Q and simultaneously hear a particular sound, taste a particular taste and see the letter as a particular colour?

It turns out Richard Feynman sees certain constants in certain mathematical equations as certain colours.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 7:45:54 PM
Yes, it all depends on how and which synapses are connected. I think more people have multiple connections than those with only one. It has been awhile since I looked into the matter though, so take that with a grain of salt.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 1:43:55 AM
At 12/8/2009 7:15:52 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

It turns out Richard Feynman sees certain constants in certain mathematical equations as certain colours.

That's by far the neatest version I've heard. ^^

There's a high correlation between synaesthesia and artists too. One of the weirdest I've read about studied, was a lady who saw emotions in others in colour. There is vague talk that synaesthesia may also be the origin of auras.