Jump to topic:

loose complaint about the media

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 10:32:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I hate the way the story that's dominating headlines is what sets up the social atmosphere in the entire country. I felt depressed during the Sandy Hook shooting. I felt depressed during the Boston Bombings. And I feel depressed during this Trayvon Martin media maelstrom. It's not that I'm unusually sensitive to the tragedy of all these events - I mean they're saddening to learn about, but they just don't account for this incomprehensibly dismal feeling. It's something about the length of time that the story occupies the airways, something about the manipulation of narratives, the invariant expression of poorly developed opinions, almost the suggestion that these talking heads are telling me what I'm supposed to feel and think. It's this sickening, suffocating feeling that manifests in just this, abysmal gloom. The presidential elections that dominated last year's news coverage had a much more upbeat atmosphere. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 10:40:36 PM
I know exactly how you feel. They bombard you with negative stories and images so if you watch the news enough you're bound to start feeling some of that negativity.

The media is ridiculous with its coverage of negative stories and not only that, some of these stories while tragedies (Sandy Hook and the Zimmerman Trial) really have no real significance to the country or globe as a whole.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 10:50:26 PM
At 7/18/2013 10:40:36 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I know exactly how you feel. They bombard you with negative stories and images so if you watch the news enough you're bound to start feeling some of that negativity.

It's about agenda setting as much as it is about conditioning.

The media is ridiculous with its coverage of negative stories and not only that, some of these stories while tragedies (Sandy Hook and the Zimmerman Trial) really have no real significance to the country or globe as a whole.

Actually, a lot of morning shows (on ABC, NBC and FOX) are pretty cheerful. There are some hard stories and headlines, but they're spliced with pictures of cute animals and uplifting stories (for example, about how Robin Roberts survived cancer, among other health problems). The nightly news (except for ABC) is really where the depravity of the world comes to surface.
Tsar of DDO
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 10:54:09 PM
At 7/18/2013 10:50:26 PM, YYW wrote:

Actually, a lot of morning shows (on ABC, NBC and FOX) are pretty cheerful. There are some hard stories and headlines, but they're spliced with pictures of cute animals and uplifting stories (for example, about how Robin Roberts survived cancer, among other health problems). The nightly news (except for ABC) is really where the depravity of the world comes to surface.

Whose awake early enough to watch morning news? :P
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 10:54:09 PM
I get what you're saying. I think there's something interesting about it all though: kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy of discontent, if you will. As tragedies saturate the media's coverage of the news, an increased sense of unrest and discontent grows among the populace, leading to a more emotional and distraught populace that eventually begins to take up causes and become activists, which creates a tenser atmosphere and greater sense of divisiveness which, if unchecked, can lead to violence, and then recreating and reinforcing the discontent that created it in the first place.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 10:57:11 PM
At 7/18/2013 10:54:09 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/18/2013 10:50:26 PM, YYW wrote:

Whose awake early enough to watch morning news? :P

Ummmmm..... me.
Tsar of DDO