Jump to topic:

roller coasters

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 11:04:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.usatoday.com... This is why I hate them. People say that they're so terrified that it's actually exciting. No, I'm just terrified. Period. It never quite translates to thrill. So, yeah. Roller coasters are dangerous and suck

That is all.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 11:55:07 AM
"Friday's accident was the second ride fatality for a guest at the park since it opened in 1961."
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 12:07:04 PM
You do realize that it's more dangerous to be in a car than a roller coaster, right? The odds of dying from a car is 1 in 84. The chances of dying from a roller coaster is 1 in 300,000,000. You must be terrified of cars.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 12:10:18 PM
At 7/20/2013 12:07:04 PM, Subutai wrote:
You do realize that it's more dangerous to be in a car than a roller coaster, right? The odds of dying from a car is 1 in 84. The chances of dying from a roller coaster is 1 in 300,000,000. You must be terrified of cars.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 12:17:43 PM

You can't really compare them that way. There are a lot more cars and many more people use cars as opposed to roller coasters. And cars are used year around. I wonder what the statistic would be if roller coasters ran year around and at the same volume as cars?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 2:29:33 PM
At 7/20/2013 11:04:29 AM, 000ike wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com... This is why I hate them. People say that they're so terrified that it's actually exciting. No, I'm just terrified. Period. It never quite translates to thrill. So, yeah. Roller coasters are dangerous and suck

That is all.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 2:30:40 PM
At 7/20/2013 12:17:43 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

You can't really compare them that way. There are a lot more cars and many more people use cars as opposed to roller coasters. And cars are used year around. I wonder what the statistic would be if roller coasters ran year around and at the same volume as cars?

In addition, cars have a practical use which makes them worth the risk. Roller coasters only exist for teh thrills, and really have no good use.
Nolite Timere
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 2:38:36 PM
I just don't like the feeling of riding a roller coaster. No real logic or anything. Just unpleasant.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 3:23:31 PM

That doesn't matter. The chances of dying from a roller coaster are 1 in 300,000,000, regardless of the time of year or usage of roller coaster themselves.

The probability of an event, at least on this scale, is measured by determining how many time an event occurred and comparing that to how many times the, in this case, equipment, was used. For cars, it's 1:84. For roller coasters, it's 1:300,000,000.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 3:29:47 PM
At 7/20/2013 3:23:31 PM, Subutai wrote:

That doesn't matter. The chances of dying from a roller coaster are 1 in 300,000,000, regardless of the time of year or usage of roller coaster themselves.

The probability of an event, at least on this scale, is measured by determining how many time an event occurred and comparing that to how many times the, in this case, equipment, was used. For cars, it's 1:84. For roller coasters, it's 1:300,000,000.

Okay I see your point However, roller coasters do not operate in unfavorable weather conditions, like storms and snow. It would certainly be more unsafe then.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 4:00:44 PM

It's not as if I think I'm going to die. If it's an older coaster, the seats are too bumpy in motion and it does actually become uncomfortable, and then the speed of the air makes it difficult to breathe unless you scream. Also, for someone like me that doesn't like heights, you could have some kind of break down if it goes up too high. What if you get stuck at the top of kingda ka? What if you're stuck upside down? No one that's scared of roller coasters actually thinks they're going to die, it's everything else that's just not fun
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 4:28:58 PM
I heard about that. It's about 20-25 minutes from where I live, so its big news here. Truly terrifying and a truly awful way to die...definitely killed my urge to ride roller coasters for a while, but not for long I'm sure.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 7:53:42 PM
At 7/20/2013 3:29:47 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 7/20/2013 3:23:31 PM, Subutai wrote:

Okay I see your point However, roller coasters do not operate in unfavorable weather conditions, like storms and snow. It would certainly be more unsafe then.

Well, yeah, that's obvious. But remember, liquid makes surfaces more slippery, so that includes cars, too.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 7:58:04 PM
No, they're fun. The "it's dangerous" claim is dumb. It's rare, and you should look at the probability of fatalities occurring. They're low.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 9:13:08 PM
At 7/20/2013 7:58:04 PM, Mirza wrote:
No, they're fun. The "it's dangerous" claim is dumb. It's rare, and you should look at the probability of fatalities occurring. They're low.

Mirza and I agree for once. It feels like you're f*cking flying through the air like a bird. Grow a pair and enjoy the ride; do some deep breathing before hand and maintain positive emotions until after the initial drop, ya dingus :)
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 9:18:33 PM
At 7/20/2013 9:13:08 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 7/20/2013 7:58:04 PM, Mirza wrote:

Mirza and I agree for once. It feels like you're f*cking flying through the air like a bird. Grow a pair and enjoy the ride; do some deep breathing before hand and maintain positive emotions until after the initial drop, ya dingus :)

yeah, that's the logic my friends used. You just don't understand it. It isn't a matter of overcoming a fear. Trust me, I have no problem just holding my nose and diving in, but what makes roller coasters tolerable for others is the trade off where you get thrill out of it. If you don't get the thrill out of it, it's kind of just, bad.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 9:39:09 PM
I love the free fall and speed feelings. If Mrs. Bladerunner and I ever get to do a honeymoon, we're going on a coaster trip.

ike, are you asthmatic? I've never heard anyone complaining about trouble breathing while on a coaster.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 10:36:10 PM
At 7/20/2013 9:39:09 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
I love the free fall and speed feelings. If Mrs. Bladerunner and I ever get to do a honeymoon, we're going on a coaster trip.

ike, are you asthmatic? I've never heard anyone complaining about trouble breathing while on a coaster.

Nope. The problem isn't that I can't breathe normally, it's that the air is just moving too fast to breathe. I don't know, maybe I'm just freaking out while everyone else is calm, and that's why. But, yeah, no, I'm not asthmatic.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 11:10:48 PM
At 7/20/2013 10:36:10 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/20/2013 9:39:09 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Nope. The problem isn't that I can't breathe normally, it's that the air is just moving too fast to breathe. I don't know, maybe I'm just freaking out while everyone else is calm, and that's why. But, yeah, no, I'm not asthmatic.

I'm thinking its the freakout option, no offense. Though there was a roller coaster that gave enough Gs to make a person black out (never ridden it tho).
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!