Total Posts:84|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Criticism

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 10:21:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What's wrong with people? It seems like it doesn't matter how much something sucks, they will still clap or praise it somehow. If you've ever watched America's got talent - that stupid audience booing at the slightest, most carefully worded hint of criticism of an obviously not-great performance, you'll know what I mean. This mentality is particularly annoying when it comes to book reviews. I want you to think of the crappiest book you've ever read. Now look up the reviews on say, amazon. What's the rating? I bet it's at, near, or above 4/5.

I want to say that people have different tastes and genuinely enjoy what might be considered lousy by someone else, but that's not even it. They just don't want to critique anything.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Posts: 36,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 10:23:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 10:21:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
What's wrong with people? It seems like it doesn't matter how much something sucks, they will still clap or praise it somehow. If you've ever watched America's got talent - that stupid audience booing at the slightest, most carefully worded hint of criticism of an obviously not-great performance, you'll know what I mean. This mentality is particularly annoying when it comes to book reviews. I want you to think of the crappiest book you've ever read. Now look up the reviews on say, amazon. What's the rating? I bet it's at, near, or above 4/5.

I want to say that people have different tastes and genuinely enjoy what might be considered lousy by someone else, but that's not even it. They just don't want to critique anything.

I sympathize. I think the reason is because people are afraid of confrontation.

I, on the other hand, only watched American Idol for the first few seasons to see Simon.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 10:39:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 10:23:43 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:21:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
What's wrong with people? It seems like it doesn't matter how much something sucks, they will still clap or praise it somehow. If you've ever watched America's got talent - that stupid audience booing at the slightest, most carefully worded hint of criticism of an obviously not-great performance, you'll know what I mean. This mentality is particularly annoying when it comes to book reviews. I want you to think of the crappiest book you've ever read. Now look up the reviews on say, amazon. What's the rating? I bet it's at, near, or above 4/5.

I want to say that people have different tastes and genuinely enjoy what might be considered lousy by someone else, but that's not even it. They just don't want to critique anything.

I sympathize. I think the reason is because people are afraid of confrontation.

I, on the other hand, only watched American Idol for the first few seasons to see Simon.

avoiding confrontation is one thing, shooting down people who don't is another. Sometimes I feel so estranged around people. Is everything just so relaxed and fantastic to them? At what point can we appropriately call things "bad"?

Can you explain to me how the dullest, most torturously awful novel I've ever been compelled to read, has a 4.5/5 rating? The author doesn't even tell a story. He's just describing stuff for dozens of pages and that passes for 4.5....
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 10:43:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 10:39:57 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:23:43 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:21:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
What's wrong with people? It seems like it doesn't matter how much something sucks, they will still clap or praise it somehow. If you've ever watched America's got talent - that stupid audience booing at the slightest, most carefully worded hint of criticism of an obviously not-great performance, you'll know what I mean. This mentality is particularly annoying when it comes to book reviews. I want you to think of the crappiest book you've ever read. Now look up the reviews on say, amazon. What's the rating? I bet it's at, near, or above 4/5.

I want to say that people have different tastes and genuinely enjoy what might be considered lousy by someone else, but that's not even it. They just don't want to critique anything.

I sympathize. I think the reason is because people are afraid of confrontation.

I, on the other hand, only watched American Idol for the first few seasons to see Simon.

avoiding confrontation is one thing, shooting down people who don't is another. Sometimes I feel so estranged around people. Is everything just so relaxed and fantastic to them? At what point can we appropriately call things "bad"?

Can you explain to me how the dullest, most torturously awful novel I've ever been compelled to read, has a 4.5/5 rating? The author doesn't even tell a story. He's just describing stuff for dozens of pages and that passes for 4.5....

What book was that?
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 10:43:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 10:39:57 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:23:43 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:21:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
What's wrong with people? It seems like it doesn't matter how much something sucks, they will still clap or praise it somehow. If you've ever watched America's got talent - that stupid audience booing at the slightest, most carefully worded hint of criticism of an obviously not-great performance, you'll know what I mean. This mentality is particularly annoying when it comes to book reviews. I want you to think of the crappiest book you've ever read. Now look up the reviews on say, amazon. What's the rating? I bet it's at, near, or above 4/5.

I want to say that people have different tastes and genuinely enjoy what might be considered lousy by someone else, but that's not even it. They just don't want to critique anything.

I sympathize. I think the reason is because people are afraid of confrontation.

I, on the other hand, only watched American Idol for the first few seasons to see Simon.

avoiding confrontation is one thing, shooting down people who don't is another. Sometimes I feel so estranged around people. Is everything just so relaxed and fantastic to them? At what point can we appropriately call things "bad"?

Can you explain to me how the dullest, most torturously awful novel I've ever been compelled to read, has a 4.5/5 rating? The author doesn't even tell a story. He's just describing stuff for dozens of pages and that passes for 4.5....

Pray tell, what novel (ugh, I know you shudder at every mention of the word) is that?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 10:43:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 10:43:03 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:39:57 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:23:43 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:21:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
What's wrong with people? It seems like it doesn't matter how much something sucks, they will still clap or praise it somehow. If you've ever watched America's got talent - that stupid audience booing at the slightest, most carefully worded hint of criticism of an obviously not-great performance, you'll know what I mean. This mentality is particularly annoying when it comes to book reviews. I want you to think of the crappiest book you've ever read. Now look up the reviews on say, amazon. What's the rating? I bet it's at, near, or above 4/5.

I want to say that people have different tastes and genuinely enjoy what might be considered lousy by someone else, but that's not even it. They just don't want to critique anything.

I sympathize. I think the reason is because people are afraid of confrontation.

I, on the other hand, only watched American Idol for the first few seasons to see Simon.

avoiding confrontation is one thing, shooting down people who don't is another. Sometimes I feel so estranged around people. Is everything just so relaxed and fantastic to them? At what point can we appropriately call things "bad"?

Can you explain to me how the dullest, most torturously awful novel I've ever been compelled to read, has a 4.5/5 rating? The author doesn't even tell a story. He's just describing stuff for dozens of pages and that passes for 4.5....

What book was that?

time and again by Jack Finney
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 10:52:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 10:43:27 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:43:03 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:39:57 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:23:43 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:21:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
What's wrong with people? It seems like it doesn't matter how much something sucks, they will still clap or praise it somehow. If you've ever watched America's got talent - that stupid audience booing at the slightest, most carefully worded hint of criticism of an obviously not-great performance, you'll know what I mean. This mentality is particularly annoying when it comes to book reviews. I want you to think of the crappiest book you've ever read. Now look up the reviews on say, amazon. What's the rating? I bet it's at, near, or above 4/5.

I want to say that people have different tastes and genuinely enjoy what might be considered lousy by someone else, but that's not even it. They just don't want to critique anything.

I sympathize. I think the reason is because people are afraid of confrontation.

I, on the other hand, only watched American Idol for the first few seasons to see Simon.

avoiding confrontation is one thing, shooting down people who don't is another. Sometimes I feel so estranged around people. Is everything just so relaxed and fantastic to them? At what point can we appropriately call things "bad"?

Can you explain to me how the dullest, most torturously awful novel I've ever been compelled to read, has a 4.5/5 rating? The author doesn't even tell a story. He's just describing stuff for dozens of pages and that passes for 4.5....

What book was that?

time and again by Jack Finney

Time and Again? What, were you high when you read that book? It was genuinely good; compelling story, compelling characters. Probably the third-best time-traveling story in my opinion, next to Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Colfer's Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 10:55:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 10:52:21 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Time and Again? What, were you high when you read that book? It was genuinely good; compelling story, compelling characters. Probably the third-best time-traveling story in my opinion, next to Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Colfer's Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox.

hundreds of pages describing scenes of New York is not a compelling story. The time travel aspect is so pathetically watered down - it's some glorified hypnosis with nothing remotely exciting about it. This is the dullest book I've ever read.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Posts: 36,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 10:58:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 10:39:57 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:23:43 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:21:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
What's wrong with people? It seems like it doesn't matter how much something sucks, they will still clap or praise it somehow. If you've ever watched America's got talent - that stupid audience booing at the slightest, most carefully worded hint of criticism of an obviously not-great performance, you'll know what I mean. This mentality is particularly annoying when it comes to book reviews. I want you to think of the crappiest book you've ever read. Now look up the reviews on say, amazon. What's the rating? I bet it's at, near, or above 4/5.

I want to say that people have different tastes and genuinely enjoy what might be considered lousy by someone else, but that's not even it. They just don't want to critique anything.

I sympathize. I think the reason is because people are afraid of confrontation.

I, on the other hand, only watched American Idol for the first few seasons to see Simon.

avoiding confrontation is one thing, shooting down people who don't is another. Sometimes I feel so estranged around people. Is everything just so relaxed and fantastic to them? At what point can we appropriately call things "bad"?

Can you explain to me how the dullest, most torturously awful novel I've ever been compelled to read, has a 4.5/5 rating? The author doesn't even tell a story. He's just describing stuff for dozens of pages and that passes for 4.5....

Of things in general, I call them bad when I see them as so. Sometimes I'm wrong, but even though I'm no singer -for example- I can tell when some guy can't stay in tune. I can play a few instruments though... but I digress.

On the novel, I haven't read it so I don't know. I have seen MANY reviews I disagree with, but different people find different things in literature. There are some novels (like On the Road) which I view as among the most wretched things I've ever read. A Tale of Two Cities is a close second. There are a few things by Kafka that are up there too... but the point is that while I detested them, others thought they were brilliant. Of Mice and Men was awful too... (I'm just listing these because I'm pretty sure at least most of the people here have probably already read all of these). The fact remains that those books are celebrated as foundational to the modern English cannon.

It's ok to hate a novel though, even when others like it. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with reviews either. However, I can tell you that some of the books that I initially hated (like everything Jane Austen ever wrote) were not so much bad books as they were too "mature" for me when I read them. I read Jane Austen when I was a freshman and sophomore in high school, and understandably I wasn't mature enough to get them. By the time I was a sophomore in college, that was a different situation... I also had a better English professor in college, which might have contributed.
Tsar of DDO
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 10:58:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hang on, Ike. I thought that you previously would always clarify when questioned that you're judgments are just your own, subjectively.

But haven't you just been declaring that certain things (like Time and Again) ARE bad, not that you THINK they're bad, and you're only wondering why they aren't rated as poorly as they ARE.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:01:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 10:55:26 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:52:21 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Time and Again? What, were you high when you read that book? It was genuinely good; compelling story, compelling characters. Probably the third-best time-traveling story in my opinion, next to Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Colfer's Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox.

hundreds of pages describing scenes of New York is not a compelling story. The time travel aspect is so pathetically watered down - it's some glorified hypnosis with nothing remotely exciting about it. This is the dullest book I've ever read.

If it's so bad, why did you finish it? If you didn't finish it, how do you know it's so bad? That's right folks....no negative book review could be legitimate. LOGIC.
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:03:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 10:58:21 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:39:57 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:23:43 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:21:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
What's wrong with people? It seems like it doesn't matter how much something sucks, they will still clap or praise it somehow. If you've ever watched America's got talent - that stupid audience booing at the slightest, most carefully worded hint of criticism of an obviously not-great performance, you'll know what I mean. This mentality is particularly annoying when it comes to book reviews. I want you to think of the crappiest book you've ever read. Now look up the reviews on say, amazon. What's the rating? I bet it's at, near, or above 4/5.

I want to say that people have different tastes and genuinely enjoy what might be considered lousy by someone else, but that's not even it. They just don't want to critique anything.

I sympathize. I think the reason is because people are afraid of confrontation.

I, on the other hand, only watched American Idol for the first few seasons to see Simon.

avoiding confrontation is one thing, shooting down people who don't is another. Sometimes I feel so estranged around people. Is everything just so relaxed and fantastic to them? At what point can we appropriately call things "bad"?

Can you explain to me how the dullest, most torturously awful novel I've ever been compelled to read, has a 4.5/5 rating? The author doesn't even tell a story. He's just describing stuff for dozens of pages and that passes for 4.5....

Of things in general, I call them bad when I see them as so. Sometimes I'm wrong, but even though I'm no singer -for example- I can tell when some guy can't stay in tune. I can play a few instruments though... but I digress.

On the novel, I haven't read it so I don't know. I have seen MANY reviews I disagree with, but different people find different things in literature. There are some novels (like On the Road) which I view as among the most wretched things I've ever read. A Tale of Two Cities is a close second. There are a few things by Kafka that are up there too... but the point is that while I detested them, others thought they were brilliant. Of Mice and Men was awful too... (I'm just listing these because I'm pretty sure at least most of the people here have probably already read all of these). The fact remains that those books are celebrated as foundational to the modern English cannon.

It's ok to hate a novel though, even when others like it. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with reviews either. However, I can tell you that some of the books that I initially hated (like everything Jane Austen ever wrote) were not so much bad books as they were too "mature" for me when I read them. I read Jane Austen when I was a freshman and sophomore in high school, and understandably I wasn't mature enough to get them. By the time I was a sophomore in college, that was a different situation... I also had a better English professor in college, which might have contributed.

I don't even care if others have a differing opinion, but Of Mice and Men was a terrible book and that's a fact.
Noctan
Posts: 420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:03:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 10:23:43 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:21:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
What's wrong with people? It seems like it doesn't matter how much something sucks, they will still clap or praise it somehow. If you've ever watched America's got talent - that stupid audience booing at the slightest, most carefully worded hint of criticism of an obviously not-great performance, you'll know what I mean. This mentality is particularly annoying when it comes to book reviews. I want you to think of the crappiest book you've ever read. Now look up the reviews on say, amazon. What's the rating? I bet it's at, near, or above 4/5.

I want to say that people have different tastes and genuinely enjoy what might be considered lousy by someone else, but that's not even it. They just don't want to critique anything.

I sympathize. I think the reason is because people are afraid of confrontation.

I, on the other hand, only watched American Idol for the first few seasons to see Simon.
I can manage my anger if people can manage their stupidity.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:04:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 10:58:28 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Hang on, Ike. I thought that you previously would always clarify when questioned that you're judgments are just your own, subjectively.

But haven't you just been declaring that certain things (like Time and Again) ARE bad, not that you THINK they're bad, and you're only wondering why they aren't rated as poorly as they ARE.

In this case, I guess I'm just struggling to find what is POSSIBLY appealing about the book from the perspective of the people who like it. It's still very much my opinion - but I suppose the presentation does not make that clear because that would undermine the level of difficulty I'm legitimately having seeing the merit from the other perspective, which I'm trying to communicate. If that makes sense.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Posts: 36,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:05:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 11:03:29 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:58:21 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:39:57 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:23:43 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:21:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
What's wrong with people? It seems like it doesn't matter how much something sucks, they will still clap or praise it somehow. If you've ever watched America's got talent - that stupid audience booing at the slightest, most carefully worded hint of criticism of an obviously not-great performance, you'll know what I mean. This mentality is particularly annoying when it comes to book reviews. I want you to think of the crappiest book you've ever read. Now look up the reviews on say, amazon. What's the rating? I bet it's at, near, or above 4/5.

I want to say that people have different tastes and genuinely enjoy what might be considered lousy by someone else, but that's not even it. They just don't want to critique anything.

I sympathize. I think the reason is because people are afraid of confrontation.

I, on the other hand, only watched American Idol for the first few seasons to see Simon.

avoiding confrontation is one thing, shooting down people who don't is another. Sometimes I feel so estranged around people. Is everything just so relaxed and fantastic to them? At what point can we appropriately call things "bad"?

Can you explain to me how the dullest, most torturously awful novel I've ever been compelled to read, has a 4.5/5 rating? The author doesn't even tell a story. He's just describing stuff for dozens of pages and that passes for 4.5....

Of things in general, I call them bad when I see them as so. Sometimes I'm wrong, but even though I'm no singer -for example- I can tell when some guy can't stay in tune. I can play a few instruments though... but I digress.

On the novel, I haven't read it so I don't know. I have seen MANY reviews I disagree with, but different people find different things in literature. There are some novels (like On the Road) which I view as among the most wretched things I've ever read. A Tale of Two Cities is a close second. There are a few things by Kafka that are up there too... but the point is that while I detested them, others thought they were brilliant. Of Mice and Men was awful too... (I'm just listing these because I'm pretty sure at least most of the people here have probably already read all of these). The fact remains that those books are celebrated as foundational to the modern English cannon.

It's ok to hate a novel though, even when others like it. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with reviews either. However, I can tell you that some of the books that I initially hated (like everything Jane Austen ever wrote) were not so much bad books as they were too "mature" for me when I read them. I read Jane Austen when I was a freshman and sophomore in high school, and understandably I wasn't mature enough to get them. By the time I was a sophomore in college, that was a different situation... I also had a better English professor in college, which might have contributed.

I don't even care if others have a differing opinion, but Of Mice and Men was a terrible book and that's a fact.

It really was. Certainly in the top five of "most awful ever."
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:06:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 11:01:37 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:55:26 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:52:21 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Time and Again? What, were you high when you read that book? It was genuinely good; compelling story, compelling characters. Probably the third-best time-traveling story in my opinion, next to Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Colfer's Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox.

hundreds of pages describing scenes of New York is not a compelling story. The time travel aspect is so pathetically watered down - it's some glorified hypnosis with nothing remotely exciting about it. This is the dullest book I've ever read.

If it's so bad, why did you finish it? If you didn't finish it, how do you know it's so bad? That's right folks....no negative book review could be legitimate. LOGIC.

I'd post that jackie chan meme that reflects my facial expression right now, but I can't post pictures at the moment. Just imagine a "what the hell did I just read" face.

You finish the book because it's compulsory.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:08:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 11:06:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 11:01:37 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:55:26 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:52:21 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Time and Again? What, were you high when you read that book? It was genuinely good; compelling story, compelling characters. Probably the third-best time-traveling story in my opinion, next to Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Colfer's Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox.

hundreds of pages describing scenes of New York is not a compelling story. The time travel aspect is so pathetically watered down - it's some glorified hypnosis with nothing remotely exciting about it. This is the dullest book I've ever read.

If it's so bad, why did you finish it? If you didn't finish it, how do you know it's so bad? That's right folks....no negative book review could be legitimate. LOGIC.

I'd post that jackie chan meme that reflects my facial expression right now, but I can't post pictures at the moment. Just imagine a "what the hell did I just read" face.

You finish the book because it's compulsory.

but you're no fun!
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:09:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 11:06:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 11:01:37 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:55:26 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:52:21 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Time and Again? What, were you high when you read that book? It was genuinely good; compelling story, compelling characters. Probably the third-best time-traveling story in my opinion, next to Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Colfer's Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox.

hundreds of pages describing scenes of New York is not a compelling story. The time travel aspect is so pathetically watered down - it's some glorified hypnosis with nothing remotely exciting about it. This is the dullest book I've ever read.

If it's so bad, why did you finish it? If you didn't finish it, how do you know it's so bad? That's right folks....no negative book review could be legitimate. LOGIC.

I'd post that jackie chan meme that reflects my facial expression right now, but I can't post pictures at the moment. Just imagine a "what the hell did I just read" face.

You finish the book because it's compulsory.

So have you never read a novel when it wasn't required of you to do so?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:11:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 11:09:39 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 8/3/2013 11:06:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 11:01:37 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:55:26 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:52:21 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Time and Again? What, were you high when you read that book? It was genuinely good; compelling story, compelling characters. Probably the third-best time-traveling story in my opinion, next to Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Colfer's Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox.

hundreds of pages describing scenes of New York is not a compelling story. The time travel aspect is so pathetically watered down - it's some glorified hypnosis with nothing remotely exciting about it. This is the dullest book I've ever read.

If it's so bad, why did you finish it? If you didn't finish it, how do you know it's so bad? That's right folks....no negative book review could be legitimate. LOGIC.

I'd post that jackie chan meme that reflects my facial expression right now, but I can't post pictures at the moment. Just imagine a "what the hell did I just read" face.

You finish the book because it's compulsory.

So have you never read a novel when it wasn't required of you to do so?

nope. I voluntary read strictly non-fiction; it's been that way since I was little.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Posts: 36,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:12:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 11:11:25 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 11:09:39 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 8/3/2013 11:06:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 11:01:37 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:55:26 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:52:21 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Time and Again? What, were you high when you read that book? It was genuinely good; compelling story, compelling characters. Probably the third-best time-traveling story in my opinion, next to Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Colfer's Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox.

hundreds of pages describing scenes of New York is not a compelling story. The time travel aspect is so pathetically watered down - it's some glorified hypnosis with nothing remotely exciting about it. This is the dullest book I've ever read.

If it's so bad, why did you finish it? If you didn't finish it, how do you know it's so bad? That's right folks....no negative book review could be legitimate. LOGIC.

I'd post that jackie chan meme that reflects my facial expression right now, but I can't post pictures at the moment. Just imagine a "what the hell did I just read" face.

You finish the book because it's compulsory.

So have you never read a novel when it wasn't required of you to do so?

nope. I voluntary read strictly non-fiction; it's been that way since I was little.

Is that because you've always had bad experiences with the novels you have been required to read?
Tsar of DDO
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:14:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 11:11:25 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 11:09:39 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 8/3/2013 11:06:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 11:01:37 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:55:26 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:52:21 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Time and Again? What, were you high when you read that book? It was genuinely good; compelling story, compelling characters. Probably the third-best time-traveling story in my opinion, next to Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Colfer's Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox.

hundreds of pages describing scenes of New York is not a compelling story. The time travel aspect is so pathetically watered down - it's some glorified hypnosis with nothing remotely exciting about it. This is the dullest book I've ever read.

If it's so bad, why did you finish it? If you didn't finish it, how do you know it's so bad? That's right folks....no negative book review could be legitimate. LOGIC.

I'd post that jackie chan meme that reflects my facial expression right now, but I can't post pictures at the moment. Just imagine a "what the hell did I just read" face.

You finish the book because it's compulsory.

So have you never read a novel when it wasn't required of you to do so?

nope. I voluntary read strictly non-fiction; it's been that way since I was little.

Have you ever considered the possibility of voluntarily reading a novel to actually be an interesting, engaging, and enlightening experience?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:15:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 11:12:13 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/3/2013 11:11:25 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 11:09:39 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

So have you never read a novel when it wasn't required of you to do so?

nope. I voluntary read strictly non-fiction; it's been that way since I was little.

Is that because you've always had bad experiences with the novels you have been required to read?

no. I don't read for entertainment. I read because I'm curious about something. I've always been familiar with what fiction has to offer (because of school), and it never seemed attractive to me, as something to voluntarily do.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:17:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I accepted your challenge. Heart of Darkness has a 4.1 out of 5 on Amazon. You are correct, sir.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
YYW
Posts: 36,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:18:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 11:17:20 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I accepted your challenge. Heart of Darkness has a 4.1 out of 5 on Amazon. You are correct, sir.

What was your problem with Heart of Darkness?
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:18:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 10:23:43 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:21:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
What's wrong with people? It seems like it doesn't matter how much something sucks, they will still clap or praise it somehow. If you've ever watched America's got talent - that stupid audience booing at the slightest, most carefully worded hint of criticism of an obviously not-great performance, you'll know what I mean. This mentality is particularly annoying when it comes to book reviews. I want you to think of the crappiest book you've ever read. Now look up the reviews on say, amazon. What's the rating? I bet it's at, near, or above 4/5.

I want to say that people have different tastes and genuinely enjoy what might be considered lousy by someone else, but that's not even it. They just don't want to critique anything.

I sympathize. I think the reason is because people are afraid of confrontation.

I, on the other hand, only watched American Idol for the first few seasons to see Simon.

I don't like American idol. But when my girlfriend wanted us to watch it the most enjoyment I got out of it was watching absolutely talentless people audition and just get brought down to earth (to put it nicely) by Simon. It's some of the funniest TV I've ever seen. Without that, I honestly don't know what other reason there is to watch the show.
Debate.org Moderator
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:18:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 11:14:51 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Have you ever considered the possibility of voluntarily reading a novel to actually be an interesting, engaging, and enlightening experience?

That's not how my mind works. It's not like I've hated every novel I've been forced to read in High school and before that. I liked to kill a mockingbird, animal farm, and reluctant fundamentalist; they were interesting and engaging (infinitely more so than time and again); but would I go out of my way to read them? No. That engagement isn't enough.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:20:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 11:17:10 PM, YYW wrote:
Ike, have you read the Harry Potter series?

I read the first 100 pages of prisoner of Azkaban in either 2nd or 3rd grade, got bored, and quit. I watched some of the movies though.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Posts: 36,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:22:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 11:18:20 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:23:43 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:21:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
What's wrong with people? It seems like it doesn't matter how much something sucks, they will still clap or praise it somehow. If you've ever watched America's got talent - that stupid audience booing at the slightest, most carefully worded hint of criticism of an obviously not-great performance, you'll know what I mean. This mentality is particularly annoying when it comes to book reviews. I want you to think of the crappiest book you've ever read. Now look up the reviews on say, amazon. What's the rating? I bet it's at, near, or above 4/5.

I want to say that people have different tastes and genuinely enjoy what might be considered lousy by someone else, but that's not even it. They just don't want to critique anything.

I sympathize. I think the reason is because people are afraid of confrontation.

I, on the other hand, only watched American Idol for the first few seasons to see Simon.

I don't like American idol. But when my girlfriend wanted us to watch it the most enjoyment I got out of it was watching absolutely talentless people audition and just get brought down to earth (to put it nicely) by Simon. It's some of the funniest TV I've ever seen. Without that, I honestly don't know what other reason there is to watch the show.

The fact that both you're a nice guy and that you're agreeing with me is sort of reassuring, because whenever I tell that to people, I usually get pretty bad responses... -to the effect of "how could you be such a heartless bastard?" or something like that.
Tsar of DDO
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:22:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 11:18:20 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:23:43 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:21:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
What's wrong with people? It seems like it doesn't matter how much something sucks, they will still clap or praise it somehow. If you've ever watched America's got talent - that stupid audience booing at the slightest, most carefully worded hint of criticism of an obviously not-great performance, you'll know what I mean. This mentality is particularly annoying when it comes to book reviews. I want you to think of the crappiest book you've ever read. Now look up the reviews on say, amazon. What's the rating? I bet it's at, near, or above 4/5.

I want to say that people have different tastes and genuinely enjoy what might be considered lousy by someone else, but that's not even it. They just don't want to critique anything.

I sympathize. I think the reason is because people are afraid of confrontation.

I, on the other hand, only watched American Idol for the first few seasons to see Simon.

I don't like American idol. But when my girlfriend wanted us to watch it the most enjoyment I got out of it was watching absolutely talentless people audition and just get brought down to earth (to put it nicely) by Simon. It's some of the funniest TV I've ever seen. Without that, I honestly don't know what other reason there is to watch the show.

I find it sad that so many people enjoy others getting their hopes and dreams crushed into tiny pieces. As God Bless America put it, it's the modern-day equivalent to the Roman Colosseum, where the weak are torn apart for our amusement and it's a sick way to seek amusement.