Jump to topic:

Can someone please explain this to me?

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 1:31:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
"The human being is spirit. But what is spirit? Spirit is the self. But what is the self? The self is a relation which relates to itself, or that in the relation which is its relating to itself. The self is not the relation but the relation's relating to itself. A human being is a synthesis of the infinite and the finite, of the temporal and the eternal, of freedom and necessity. In short a synthesis. A synthesis is a relation between two terms. Looked at in this way, a human being is not yet a self."

This may be the most confusing thing I've ever read.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 1:50:24 AM
At 8/4/2013 1:31:04 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
"The human being is spirit. But what is spirit? Spirit is the self. But what is the self? The self is a relation which relates to itself, or that in the relation which is its relating to itself. The self is not the relation but the relation's relating to itself. A human being is a synthesis of the infinite and the finite, of the temporal and the eternal, of freedom and necessity. In short a synthesis. A synthesis is a relation between two terms. Looked at in this way, a human being is not yet a self."

Spiritualism mumbo-jumbo is meant to be convoluted so that it sounds nice even though it's literally meaningless.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:17:14 AM
At 8/4/2013 1:50:24 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Spiritualism mumbo-jumbo is meant to be convoluted so that it sounds nice even though it's literally meaningless.

haha yeah.. pretty much this.
Debate.org Moderator
Noctan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 8:48:53 AM
At 8/4/2013 1:50:24 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

I can manage my anger if people can manage their stupidity.