Jump to topic:

how long before resources run out

headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 11:08:40 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
How long do you guys think it would be before resources run out and what factors would contribute to this please if you want post whatever you want funny <warning funny videos will be laughed at>
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 11:44:55 PM
At 12/12/2009 11:08:40 PM, headphonegut wrote:
How long do you guys think it would be before resources run out and what factors would contribute to this please if you want post whatever you want funny <warning funny videos will be laughed at>

Well it depends on what resources we are talking about but as an overall rule we are talking at least milenia, possible millions of years.

Sure oil and gas have relatively short durations, but there are alternatives, renewable ones as well.

It really is a question of the speed at which 'new' or alternative resources are developed. If oil run out today western civilisation would collapse. If we knew it was due to run out in exactly 50 years we would have time to adapt.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 11:47:46 PM
Depends on rate of technological innovation.

Of which I do not know.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 10:53:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Resources will not "run out" because they are not "used up". Matter is neither gained or lost. It is simply transformed.

Even further, transmutation is allowing man to produce desired elements at will.

Conclusion: We won't run out of all resources. Individual ones may disappear, but they can be reproduced or replaced.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 1:25:02 PM
At 12/13/2009 10:53:49 AM, wjmelements wrote:
Resources will not "run out" because they are not "used up". Matter is neither gained or lost. It is simply transformed.

Even further, transmutation is allowing man to produce desired elements at will.

Conclusion: We won't run out of all resources. Individual ones may disappear, but they can be reproduced or replaced.

Wjm - That's a contradiction if I've ever heard one. You said that resources will not "run out" and then a few sentences later said "individual ones may disappear."

Right now we can produce SOME desired elements at will, but not all. And what about the places we use as resources being exploited (such as the ocean and forests)?

Also just because matter is transformed does not mean that it transforms to something we can utilize.

Conclusion: We will run out of SOME resources (and already have) --- We can reproduce some of them, but not all. We're working on it.
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 1:28:46 PM

Yeah, last I checked transmutation was still a kind of 'magic'. A cool kind, but I think in order to specialize in it you have to give up evocation, which kind of sucks.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 1:37:42 PM
At 12/13/2009 1:28:46 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Yeah, last I checked transmutation was still a kind of 'magic'. A cool kind, but I think in order to specialize in it you have to give up evocation, which kind of sucks.

Never heard of nuclear fission/fusion? :P
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 1:40:10 PM
At 12/13/2009 1:25:02 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Conclusion: We will run out of SOME resources (and already have) --- We can reproduce some of them, but not all. We're working on it.

Waste eating bacteria that produce petroleum are neat. ^^
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 1:42:57 PM
At 12/13/2009 1:37:42 PM, Puck wrote:

yes that's getting energy from matter, is it not? not changing lead into gold.

I wouldn't say chemistry/physics hasn't allowing us to rearrange things on much smaller scales, but we can't just make one thing into another at will.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 1:44:40 PM
At 12/13/2009 1:42:57 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I wouldn't say chemistry/physics hasn't allowing us to rearrange things on much smaller scales, but we can't just make one thing into another at will.

And most of our processes to do so take a lot more energy than that we get out of it, like hydrogen.

Metaphysics:
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 1:45:25 PM

Do you know how much energy that requires?
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 1:48:48 PM
At 12/13/2009 1:45:25 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Fusion. Relatively little compared to other fuels, a a lot compared to what we have.

Fissions. Little over time.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 1:48:50 PM
At 12/13/2009 1:42:57 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

It's changing elements, which was referred to earlier. Lead > gold is alchemy, nuclear reactions which change elements and alchemy just share the same term, transmuting, which simply indicates a change of matter, not its creation.

That would be called God. We however are bound by physics.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 1:50:01 PM
At 12/13/2009 1:45:25 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Yes. It was aimed more at the comment suggesting it couldn't be done. :)
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 1:52:32 PM
At 12/13/2009 1:25:02 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Wjm - That's a contradiction if I've ever heard one. You said that resources will not "run out" and then a few sentences later said "individual ones may disappear."
Not at all. Resources as a whole will not run out, but individuals will be expended.
Hurray. We agree.
And what about the places we use as resources being exploited (such as the ocean and forests)?
Dumb statement. Those are far from being expended and in every case where parts of them are privatized (tree farms and fish farms), there is zero problem of over fishing.
Also just because matter is transformed does not mean that it transforms to something we can utilize.
They can be transformed back or into something else. Take for example the turning of oil into plastic. Plastic can be recycled or reused. Sure, it is currently cheeeper to create new plastics, but when there is a need for plastic to be recycled, a more efficient process will be found.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 1:54:44 PM

We can do it on a small scale with alpha particles and beta particles as of now. The human race is still working on other methods, but transmutation should become an effective means of production.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2009 4:30:44 AM
At 12/14/2009 3:41:27 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
Tommorrow......or the next day

Oh poo, that will spoil christmas!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.