Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

A Christmas Boycott

brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2008 7:33:39 AM
Posted: 8 years ago
When it's Chinese New Year, do your Chinese friends come up to you and say: "Hey, where's my lei-xi? Where's my red and gold envelope stuffed with money, eh?"

No they don't.

And when it's the end of Ramadan, do you Muslim friends approach you and ask "Where's my Zakat al-Fitr, huh? Where's my Festival of Eid food parcel?"

No they don't.

And when it's Diwali, do your Hindi, Sikh and Buddhist friends corner you and demand "Where's my laddu? Where the hell are my Indian sweets?

No they don't.

So why is it at Christmas time your Christian friends expect presents off you, even though they know you are not a practicing Christian?

What with all the seasonal adverts on TV and the secret Santa scams and Christmas party discussions at work, I've had enough of this whole Christmas malarkey already and there's still over five weeks more of it to endure.

As far as I'm concerned, if Christians want to celebrate Christmas, that's up to them, but if they want any Christmas gifts off me, they can go and whistle for them.

The trouble with that policy is that the people who know me may confuse my non-hypocritical moral principles with a reluctance to go out shopping. Therefore, I would like to use the good offices of debate.org to encourage my fellow atheists to show their support and join me in boycotting Christmas presents this year.

Thank you.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2008 9:52:49 AM
Posted: 8 years ago
http://www.wmamc.com...

96% of Americans celebrate christmas. Here its more of a secular holiday. So many people assume others celebrate it reguardless of their religion.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2008 12:22:45 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
I agree that you shouldn't give presents if you're not Christian, but some people are satisfied with a card. or you could go into the big argument that you're an atheist. You're choice really.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
knick-knack
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2008 12:36:31 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
Christmas is not just about religious beliefs.
It's about a big fat old pedophile with a beard, who breaks into your house at night, takes all of your delicious cookies and dairy products, and then gives presents to the little children. He sees them when they are sleeping and knows everything that they do. He hires socially rejected midgets to come and build these toys with him in one of the coldest places on Earth.
So by all means, if you don't believe in Jesus then believe in this wonderful, old, well fed man that we so rightfully call Santa clause. Or as my math teachers calls Satan.
John Hancock
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2008 12:59:29 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
Haha Brian is once again entertaining.

Well all I can say is mirror what other's have said. Christmas has shifted into much more of a secular holiday. Besides, I'm a greedy bastard. I get presents much more than I give >:D
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2008 4:06:23 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
Celebrating modern Christmas is a very un-Jesusy thing to do. That is part of why I like it :D.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2008 5:20:28 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
At 11/22/2008 4:06:23 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Celebrating modern Christmas is a very un-Jesusy thing to do. That is part of why I like it :D.

The day when we start engraving Jesus into our Turkey and stuffing is the day we go down ragnar!!!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 11:08:12 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
It's that time of year again. The grasping chain stores are peddling their over-priced tat to gullible punters who allow themselves to get whipped up into a state of hysteria because by inane yuletide TV adverts that keep reminding them that there's only 43 shopping days until Christmas, or whatever.

Once again, I'm compiling a list of all the shops and manufacturers that put Christmas adverts on before December and am religiously boycotting them.

It's not easy and last Christmas my niece ended up with a carton of Marlboro Lights (you are not allowed to advertise cigarettes in the UK) which wasn't the ideal present for a 5 year old girl, but if everybody joined my crusade against corporate exploitation of Christmas perhaps they would think twice before winding us all up with their crappy out-of-season adverts.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 11:14:26 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/17/2008 7:33:39 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
So why is it at Christmas time your Christian friends expect presents off you, even though they know you are not a practicing Christian?

I don't have any Christian friends, I don't think I even know any Christians... but Christmas just happens to be a tradition in this country!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 11:39:43 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I don't believe in Jesus; My girlfriend is a non-practicing Muslim and I'm worrying about what to get her for Christmas lol.
President of DDO
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 12:10:33 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/12/2009 11:39:43 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I don't believe in Jesus; My girlfriend is a non-practicing Muslim and I'm worrying about what to get her for Christmas lol.

Get her a submissive Jesus.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 12:30:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/12/2009 11:39:43 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I don't believe in Jesus; My girlfriend is a non-practicing Muslim and I'm worrying about what to get her for Christmas lol.

Really? Is she? If she is, don't worry about it. Save your money and get her nothing.

And if she hands you are present on Christmas morning just say "I'm not a Christian but thanks very much all the same and when it comes to the Festival of Eid I'll ritually slaughter a lamb for you."

I did something like that last Christmas which I spent in Istanbul with my non-practicing Muslim girlfriend (now ex-girlfriend).
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 2:13:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
First on this year's list of firms that I will never use again, ever, for peddling their Christmas wares way too early is...

Corrigan's of Mayfair

This restaurant sent me an e-mail yesterday which read:

Festive Menus

It is that time of year again
The sun is shining, school's out for summer
and our Christmas Menus are now available


http://www.corrigansmayfair.com...
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 2:18:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/5/2010 2:17:02 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If you want to give a gift to someone for whom you care very much, I can't imagine you'd need an excuse like "Well, it's Christmas!"

Lol yea. If you care about somebody it would be pretty much appropriate to get them a gift whenever!
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 2:22:57 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/5/2010 2:18:05 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/5/2010 2:17:02 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If you want to give a gift to someone for whom you care very much, I can't imagine you'd need an excuse like "Well, it's Christmas!"

Lol yea. If you care about somebody it would be pretty much appropriate to get them a gift whenever!

I'd be careful not to overdo it, though.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 2:23:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/5/2010 2:22:57 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 8/5/2010 2:18:05 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/5/2010 2:17:02 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If you want to give a gift to someone for whom you care very much, I can't imagine you'd need an excuse like "Well, it's Christmas!"

Lol yea. If you care about somebody it would be pretty much appropriate to get them a gift whenever!

I'd be careful not to overdo it, though.

Yea, haha. It's not like I'm expecting any gifts from anybody.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 2:29:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/5/2010 2:23:51 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/5/2010 2:22:57 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 8/5/2010 2:18:05 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/5/2010 2:17:02 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If you want to give a gift to someone for whom you care very much, I can't imagine you'd need an excuse like "Well, it's Christmas!"

Lol yea. If you care about somebody it would be pretty much appropriate to get them a gift whenever!

I'd be careful not to overdo it, though.

Yea, haha. It's not like I'm expecting any gifts from anybody.

I presumed that the gift of my digital presence was more than sufficient.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 2:31:38 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/5/2010 2:29:35 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 8/5/2010 2:23:51 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/5/2010 2:22:57 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 8/5/2010 2:18:05 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/5/2010 2:17:02 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If you want to give a gift to someone for whom you care very much, I can't imagine you'd need an excuse like "Well, it's Christmas!"

Lol yea. If you care about somebody it would be pretty much appropriate to get them a gift whenever!

I'd be careful not to overdo it, though.

Yea, haha. It's not like I'm expecting any gifts from anybody.

I presumed that the gift of my digital presence was more than sufficient.

Haha.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 8:34:02 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/5/2010 2:13:34 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
First on this year's list of firms that I will never use again, ever, for peddling their Christmas wares way too early is...

Corrigan's of Mayfair

This restaurant sent me an e-mail yesterday which read:

Festive Menus

It is that time of year again
The sun is shining, school's out for summer
and our Christmas Menus are now available


http://www.corrigansmayfair.com...

You have to be messing.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
CrysisPillar
Posts: 71
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 8:39:57 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
well, here's the thing though - we don't ask for gifts on Xmas because it's a national and international holiday. You get gifts, but you also give to others. And if you don't give to others, people look at you like some creep.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 8:51:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/5/2010 8:34:02 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/5/2010 2:13:34 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
First on this year's list of firms that I will never use again, ever, for peddling their Christmas wares way too early is...

Corrigan's of Mayfair

This restaurant sent me an e-mail yesterday which read:

Festive Menus

It is that time of year again
The sun is shining, school's out for summer
and our Christmas Menus are now available


http://www.corrigansmayfair.com...

You have to be messing.

No kidding. Did you notice the small print on the menu, by the way? The minimum spend during the festive season is £1,000 (EUR1,200 / US$1,550) per person.

This outfit is run by one of your lot, by the way Panda – a bloke called Richard Corrigan – I believe he's got a show on Irish television called Corrigan Knows Food?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:14:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/5/2010 8:39:57 AM, CrysisPillar wrote:
well, here's the thing though - we don't ask for gifts on Xmas because it's a national and international holiday. You get gifts, but you also give to others. And if you don't give to others, people look at you like some creep.

Nah, I personally think non-christians have no right celebrating christmas(same goes for easter). You don't see non-jews celebrating things like hanukkah.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:15:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/5/2010 8:51:10 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 8/5/2010 8:34:02 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/5/2010 2:13:34 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
First on this year's list of firms that I will never use again, ever, for peddling their Christmas wares way too early is...

Corrigan's of Mayfair

This restaurant sent me an e-mail yesterday which read:

Festive Menus

It is that time of year again
The sun is shining, school's out for summer
and our Christmas Menus are now available


http://www.corrigansmayfair.com...

You have to be messing.

No kidding. Did you notice the small print on the menu, by the way? The minimum spend during the festive season is £1,000 (EUR1,200 / US$1,550) per person.

Per person or per party?


This outfit is run by one of your lot, by the way Panda – a bloke called Richard Corrigan – I believe he's got a show on Irish television called Corrigan Knows Food?

I wouldn't know, I'm a straight 15 year old male, no a gay 33 year old gay man going through a mid-life crisis.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:16:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/5/2010 1:14:05 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/5/2010 8:39:57 AM, CrysisPillar wrote:
well, here's the thing though - we don't ask for gifts on Xmas because it's a national and international holiday. You get gifts, but you also give to others. And if you don't give to others, people look at you like some creep.

Nah, I personally think non-christians have no right celebrating christmas(same goes for easter). You don't see non-jews celebrating things like hanukkah.

Meh, Christmas is a federally recognized holiday in America.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:19:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/5/2010 1:16:34 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 8/5/2010 1:14:05 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/5/2010 8:39:57 AM, CrysisPillar wrote:
well, here's the thing though - we don't ask for gifts on Xmas because it's a national and international holiday. You get gifts, but you also give to others. And if you don't give to others, people look at you like some creep.

Nah, I personally think non-christians have no right celebrating christmas(same goes for easter). You don't see non-jews celebrating things like hanukkah.

Meh, Christmas is a federally recognized holiday in America.

Well celebrating christmas with my family is always awkward now, even though they celebrate it from a secular, non-religious perspective.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 9:00:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/5/2010 8:51:10 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

No kidding. Did you notice the small print on the menu, by the way? The minimum spend during the festive season is £1,000 (EUR1,200 / US$1,550) per person.

I think that is the minimum total for the party using one of their special rooms. Nonetheless, pricey.

Are you sure you are really opposed to Christmas, and not just the general concept of cheerfulness?
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 9:11:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I posted the question on a hardcore atheist forum as to whether the people there celebrated Christmas. Over 80% said they did. It a secular holiday also celebrated as a religious holiday.

Christmas is widely celebrated in Japan and Taiwan, even though there are very few Christians. In Japan it is not a national holiday, but it is considered a romantic or partying holiday - more like New Year's is in the West. The Japanese have lots of public Christmas Trees, and being unschooled in the fine points of political correctness, they call them "Christmas Trees."

The Japanese are also picking up Halloween: cosplay!

The U.S. lacks a good summer festival. We should adopt the Buddhist Bon Festival in late August.