Jump to topic:

Gun Owners on DDO?

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 7:03:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What's your favorite? What was your first? What's on your wishlist?

My favorite rifle is the AR15 (.223 or .556) because it's so customizable and you can do a lot with it, closely followed by a Ruger 1022 (.22) because it's such an easy one to shoot.
My favorite handgun is the Smith & Wesson M&P compact (9mm) for actual shooting. for fun it's a Beretta TomCat (.22) it's a picky little thing, doesn't like most brands of ammo, but it sure is fun.
The coolest thing I have ever shot is a very close tie between the Desert Eagle (50AE) and the SAW I played with at basic training.
The first gun I ever shot was either a Ruger LCP (.380 caliber) or a Ruger SR9c (9mm compact).
My wishlist is a mile long, and includes pretty much everything I have ever fired.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 8:43:03 PM
I'm interested in doing some recreational shooting. What's a good handgun for someone who has never held one in his life?

Similarly, what is a good gun for home defense? Assume I will be trained in that gun prior to purchasing.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 12:53:34 AM
At 8/16/2013 8:43:03 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I'm interested in doing some recreational shooting. What's a good handgun for someone who has never held one in his life?

Similarly, what is a good gun for home defense? Assume I will be trained in that gun prior to purchasing.

If you're nervous, I recommend something that's a .22 caliber. the Beretta TomCat is an awesome fun gun, but is very small, and hard to hold comfortably, even for smaller people like myself and my mom. I haven't shot anything else in that caliber, so I can't advise, but your local gun range should have pistols for rent, along with free advice on where to begin. Most range safety officers are glad to help you if you have questions (and some will help you even if you don't ask!) Anything that shoots .22 is going to be very light on recoil which is good for beginners. That absolutely doesn't mean you can't start with something else, the first gun I shot, I was 17 and it was a 9mm. Same goes for a first rifle, .22 is a good starting point. This is because it's a cheap versatile round, and it's very small, so it doesn't deliver that recoil that the bigger guns have.

For home defense, a shogun loaded with birdshot is the way to go. Shotguns are great because even if you don't have a lot of training, the spread increases probability of hitting the intruder, and if you're not yet comfortable shooting the "proper" way, you can also shoot from the hip which creates a little more stability.

I say to use birdshot, because it packs a punch, but doesn't have enough velocity to go through your intruder and then the wall behind them, which would potentially endanger other people in your home.

For personal defense, a handgun in the caliber of your choice with hollowpoint ammunition. Full metal jacket (ball) ammo is still effective, but hollowpoint will "mushroom" out and slow down very quickly, decreasing the chance of going through and hitting someone behind them. Also, don't feel like you have to listen to the people that want to tell you that you should only use .45. It's a good round, but for someone who is built small or who doesn't love their gun, it's a hassle. It doesn't matter what you shoot, no one wants a lead slug in them.

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 12:59:01 AM
At 8/16/2013 11:22:30 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
One day, I'll own a handgun for sure.

Probably a revolver of some sort.

Revolvers are great, and very dependable, but if you go for a concealed carry license, I recommend at least qualifying with a semiautomatic. In my state (Texas), at least, you have to qualify with a semiauto to carry one. It's a dumb rule, because pretty much a gun is a gun is a gun is a gun, but there is also round capacity and possibly conceal-ability. I personally prefer semiautomatics because I like to have a 17 round magazine plus one in the chamber. ;) If you're going to carry, I believe you should be able to shoot until the threat is eliminated, and reload quickly if necessary.

LevelWithMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 1:09:18 AM

Glock 17/19/26(essentially the same gun, full, compact, and subcompact respectively) Hideous, boring, plastic, but it works. It's an intuitive and notoriously simple/reliable gun that competes with the other big names like the Beretta, SIG, and S&W just fine as far as range reports go. It's also fairly cheap as far as reliability+life expectancy compared to the cost. Guns are important investments. Buying something on the cheap, specifically designed and manufactured to be bought by people who need to defend themselves that otherwise wouldn't be able to afford them, is a bad idea.

You may also want to consider getting a plinkser .22, depending on how you want to balance between the overlap in your recreation and practice for your self defense gun.

As far as standalone guns go, the U22 Neo and Ruger SR22 come to mind. Really, just find a company with a good name that slaps the word "22" at the end of the name, and you'll be fine for a plinkster.

Alternatively, with the note of balance for recreation/practice, buy a .22lr conversion kit for your Glock/other purchased gun. Two guns for the price of one, and you're practicing with the same weight/grip on paper targets.

Any reliable gun that doesn't have an absurd barrel length. Your question is really "what is a good gun?" to which I would say, your Glock 17/19/26 will suit your needs just fine. Make sure you buy hollow point bullets if you're using it for home defense. The spread insures that the bullet does the job against biological targets and won't end up going through your wall into your kid's room or your neighbor's home. Responsible ownership and safety is top priority.

Other guns that come to mind, once you've got comfortable with gun ownership/safety in general, feel an inkling to get another one, and do some fingering around in shops/gun shows:

SIG Sauer pistols: P226, P229, P239, P225, SP2022. It's really hard to go wrong with SIG, honestly. SP2022 is the cheapest. P226 is my personal favorite/owned an is used by US military special forces.

CZ-75. Same concept as the Glock as far as reliable, good results, and the cost aspect.

Beretta PX4. Get the decocker version. It's a "different" gun. It's trigger consistency and "torque" to the recoil throw people off. Get a trial run before purchase in some manner. It's a love or hate gun.

Beretta 92G. This is the decocker model. It was the military's choice(only because it was cheaper than the P226), and it's an enormous abomination(you would look ridiculous trying to conceal carry it). Due to that aspect, it has mild recoil.

Ruger LCP. Want a tiny gun? Get this.

Ruger LCR(small) Ruger SP101(larger) . In the event that you're a revolver romanticist. Be aware that recoil acts differently in revolvers(backward thrust instead of upward thrust). STAY AWAY FROM TAURUS REVOLVERS.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND WHEN BUYING YOUR FIRST GUN:

Safety:
1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded. Regardless of precived or actual condition.
2. Always keep your weapon pointed in a safe direction. Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
3. Keep your weapon on 'SAFE' until the decision to shoot has been made.

Think about the rest of your personal security first
Just owning a gun won't make you safer, and if you're actually forced to use it, even in the most clear-cut self-defense imaginable, severely injuring or killing another human being is going to mess with your life. Legally, emotionally, and financially, if you have to defend yourself with deadly force, right or wrong, you're not going to enjoy the fallout, and that's assuming you come out alive and relatively intact. You need to look around at other parts of your life that may make that exceptionally crappy situation more likely.

Learn the laws and rules at the federal, state, local, and really local levels.
Every country, state, county, and city has laws, and the interactions between them can be even more complicated. There is no substitute for professional legal council for your concerns(not saying you would go to some website, I know nothing about you and don't care for assumptions). You can certainly find this for free from certain venues in your state/region.

How are you going to keep your gun(s) safe?
When shopping for guns, include the cost of maintaining and storing your guns in a safe place. Your needs may vary by law and practicality. The last thing you want is for your gun to be a threat to persons you do not wish to harm and yourself, more than your possible assailant.

How much will this really cost for my usage of the gun?
Governmental Costs(tax, background check, FFL fees)
Training
Cleaning Supplies
Gun Safe/Quick Access Box
Defensive Ammo
Practice Ammo
Range Fees for your first outing(if it's not part of your training or you live in an area with various places to legally shoot for free).
Eye and Ear Protection
Other accessories (like holsters or a decent case for the range, for example).

Hopefully this was insightful information, and you put some of it to use as a potential/future gun owner, for the sake of yourself/loved ones/community/your bank account. I would say happy hunting, but hunting doesn't seem to be on the agenda. But, seriously, good luck.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 1:10:55 AM
At 8/17/2013 12:59:01 AM, devinni01841 wrote:

Revolvers are great, and very dependable, but if you go for a concealed carry license, I recommend at least qualifying with a semiautomatic. In my state (Texas), at least, you have to qualify with a semiauto to carry one. It's a dumb rule, because pretty much a gun is a gun is a gun is a gun, but there is also round capacity and possibly conceal-ability. I personally prefer semiautomatics because I like to have a 17 round magazine plus one in the chamber. ;) If you're going to carry, I believe you should be able to shoot until the threat is eliminated, and reload quickly if necessary.

Nice, my parents live in Texas.

And true the semi-auto sounds more dependable in a defense situation. But revolvers are just so cool.

I want a conceal-carry license eventually.
LevelWithMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 1:14:21 AM
At 8/17/2013 1:09:18 AM, LevelWithMe wrote:
Any reliable gun that doesn't have an absurd barrel length.

By this I simply mean that you shouldn't buy something unwieldy, especially if you're in a home with tight hallways/corners. 9 inches total gun length max. A specific gun to a specific need.
LevelWithMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 1:19:12 AM
In addition, I should have mentioned the S&W M&P in my list of alternate/future gun purchases. Get whatever model floats your boat.

It's essentially a Glock... with features. OoOoOoOo aaah the crowd goes wild.
LevelWithMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 1:48:37 AM
Oh. Right. I wish there was an edit post feature.

I personally own a Mossberg 702(21" model) and a SIG P2022( which is my actual favorite, I just got my words mixed up while typing/editing). I intend to own a Mossberg 500 sometime in the future, which pretty much settles my desires as far as gun ownership goes in my life(P2022-open carry, 500-home defense, 702-recreation). I'm not really the hunting or competitive shooting type, so I don't really feel compelled to get a more powerful rifle. Nor am I a collector or enthusiast, so any other potential purchasing thoughts are non-existent in that regard. Really, I don't have any problems swapping out firearms with range folks or friends/family when I want a change of pace, so I'll pretty much be set in my ways once I get the Mossberg.

I've fired many of the guns I've already listed in the previous post, most owned by friends/family/associates/acquaintances. I've had practice with the Beretta M9 and Mossberg 500 in my service. I have never fired a fully automatic firearm.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 3:39:23 AM
At 8/17/2013 1:09:18 AM, LevelWithMe wrote:

Glock 17/19/26(essentially the same gun, full, compact, and subcompact respectively) Hideous, boring, plastic, but it works. It's an intuitive and notoriously simple/reliable gun that competes with the other big names like the Beretta, SIG, and S&W just fine as far as range reports go. It's also fairly cheap as far as reliability+life expectancy compared to the cost. Guns are important investments. Buying something on the cheap, specifically designed and manufactured to be bought by people who need to defend themselves that otherwise wouldn't be able to afford them, is a bad idea.

You may also want to consider getting a plinkser .22, depending on how you want to balance between the overlap in your recreation and practice for your self defense gun.

As far as standalone guns go, the U22 Neo and Ruger SR22 come to mind. Really, just find a company with a good name that slaps the word "22" at the end of the name, and you'll be fine for a plinkster.

Alternatively, with the note of balance for recreation/practice, buy a .22lr conversion kit for your Glock/other purchased gun. Two guns for the price of one, and you're practicing with the same weight/grip on paper targets.

Any reliable gun that doesn't have an absurd barrel length. Your question is really "what is a good gun?" to which I would say, your Glock 17/19/26 will suit your needs just fine. Make sure you buy hollow point bullets if you're using it for home defense. The spread insures that the bullet does the job against biological targets and won't end up going through your wall into your kid's room or your neighbor's home. Responsible ownership and safety is top priority.

Other guns that come to mind, once you've got comfortable with gun ownership/safety in general, feel an inkling to get another one, and do some fingering around in shops/gun shows:

SIG Sauer pistols: P226, P229, P239, P225, SP2022. It's really hard to go wrong with SIG, honestly. SP2022 is the cheapest. P226 is my personal favorite/owned an is used by US military special forces.

CZ-75. Same concept as the Glock as far as reliable, good results, and the cost aspect.

Beretta PX4. Get the decocker version. It's a "different" gun. It's trigger consistency and "torque" to the recoil throw people off. Get a trial run before purchase in some manner. It's a love or hate gun.

Beretta 92G. This is the decocker model. It was the military's choice(only because it was cheaper than the P226), and it's an enormous abomination(you would look ridiculous trying to conceal carry it). Due to that aspect, it has mild recoil.

Ruger LCP. Want a tiny gun? Get this.

Ruger LCR(small) Ruger SP101(larger) . In the event that you're a revolver romanticist. Be aware that recoil acts differently in revolvers(backward thrust instead of upward thrust). STAY AWAY FROM TAURUS REVOLVERS.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND WHEN BUYING YOUR FIRST GUN:

Safety:
1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded. Regardless of precived or actual condition.
2. Always keep your weapon pointed in a safe direction. Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
3. Keep your weapon on 'SAFE' until the decision to shoot has been made.

Think about the rest of your personal security first
Just owning a gun won't make you safer, and if you're actually forced to use it, even in the most clear-cut self-defense imaginable, severely injuring or killing another human being is going to mess with your life. Legally, emotionally, and financially, if you have to defend yourself with deadly force, right or wrong, you're not going to enjoy the fallout, and that's assuming you come out alive and relatively intact. You need to look around at other parts of your life that may make that exceptionally crappy situation more likely.

Learn the laws and rules at the federal, state, local, and really local levels.
Every country, state, county, and city has laws, and the interactions between them can be even more complicated. There is no substitute for professional legal council for your concerns(not saying you would go to some website, I know nothing about you and don't care for assumptions). You can certainly find this for free from certain venues in your state/region.

How are you going to keep your gun(s) safe?
When shopping for guns, include the cost of maintaining and storing your guns in a safe place. Your needs may vary by law and practicality. The last thing you want is for your gun to be a threat to persons you do not wish to harm and yourself, more than your possible assailant.

How much will this really cost for my usage of the gun?
Governmental Costs(tax, background check, FFL fees)
Training
Cleaning Supplies
Gun Safe/Quick Access Box
Defensive Ammo
Practice Ammo
Range Fees for your first outing(if it's not part of your training or you live in an area with various places to legally shoot for free).
Eye and Ear Protection
Other accessories (like holsters or a decent case for the range, for example).

Hopefully this was insightful information, and you put some of it to use as a potential/future gun owner, for the sake of yourself/loved ones/community/your bank account. I would say happy hunting, but hunting doesn't seem to be on the agenda. But, seriously, good luck.

Thumbs up to all of this. I don't know if LevelWithMe mentioned it (it's late and I may have missed it) but it is worth noting that females - and people in general shouldn't necessarily go for the pocket guns. I HATED he Ruger LCP, because it had horrible trigger bite and it was difficult for me to put more than 10 rounds through it at a time. Smaller gun also (in my experience) have more recoil because there is less barrel to travel down and less area to grip.

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 3:40:15 AM
At 8/17/2013 1:10:55 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 8/17/2013 12:59:01 AM, devinni01841 wrote:

Nice, my parents live in Texas.

And true the semi-auto sounds more dependable in a defense situation. But revolvers are just so cool.

I want a conceal-carry license eventually.

revolvers are absolutely amazing, and any gun legally carried is better than none at all.

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 3:41:14 AM
At 8/17/2013 1:19:12 AM, LevelWithMe wrote:
In addition, I should have mentioned the S&W M&P in my list of alternate/future gun purchases. Get whatever model floats your boat.

It's essentially a Glock... with features. OoOoOoOo aaah the crowd goes wild.

Thumbs up here too! I am a huge fan of the M&P

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 3:44:02 AM
At 8/17/2013 1:48:37 AM, LevelWithMe wrote:
I have never fired a fully automatic firearm.

If you know someone who is a dealer and can get fun sh!t, or if there's some kind of tactical range / military shooting event where you have the opportunity - TAKE IT! The SAW and 240B are the shizzznit.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 10:31:30 AM
I own a mean a** super soaker if that counts
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
LevelWithMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 11:44:25 AM
At 8/17/2013 3:39:23 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
Thumbs up to all of this. I don't know if LevelWithMe mentioned it (it's late and I may have missed it) but it is worth noting that females - and people in general shouldn't necessarily go for the pocket guns. I HATED he Ruger LCP, because it had horrible trigger bite and it was difficult for me to put more than 10 rounds through it at a time. Smaller gun also (in my experience) have more recoil because there is less barrel to travel down and less area to grip.

I mentioned it(though, only in reverse). I mentioned that larger, heavier guns(ie. the Beretta 92G) have less recoil, but not that smaller, lighter guns have more recoil(implicitly).
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 11:48:56 AM
At 8/17/2013 11:44:25 AM, LevelWithMe wrote:

I mentioned it(though, only in reverse). I mentioned that larger, heavier guns(ie. the Beretta 92G) have less recoil, but not that smaller, lighter guns have more recoil(implicitly).

Ah, gotcha. LIke I said, I was up late when I replied to that.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 10:56:33 PM
The last time someone recommended birdshot, it didn't turn out so well for them.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 11:12:41 PM
At 8/17/2013 10:56:33 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
The last time someone recommended birdshot, it didn't turn out so well for them.

haha I remember that... You have really great recall of DDO thread history.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 11:13:38 PM
At 8/17/2013 10:31:30 AM, imabench wrote:

If you are battling a house cat, you can't go wrong with that.
Debate.org Moderator
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 12:13:41 PM
I'm a gun owner. I hunt deer and what not, and go to shooting competitions. I would love to own an AS50. Those things are awesome. I'm saving up for one.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 5:09:33 PM
At 8/17/2013 10:56:33 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

BossyBurrito, That's an interesting post. JaxsonRaine is absolutely right that you still have to aim with a shotgun, but the problem with a slug is that if your intruder is NOT wearing body armor, that slug will travel through them (good because of the extra damage) and it will also continue traveling through whatever is behind them (through walls into other rooms where family members, children, roommates, etc. may be). If you are willing to risk the lives of other people in your home (or even the homes around you if you live in an apartment/condo/duplex/whatever) that is up to the individual, but know that you are responsible for every injury resulting from the discharge of that gun. So if your buckshot or your slug goes through your walls into another room or another apartment, you will not only potentially be killing an innocent bystander, but you will be prosecuted for it, too. The same goes for people who use FMJ ammo instead of hollowpoints. they are responsible for knowing what is behind their target and will be held accountable if anyone other than the attacker is hurt.

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 5:10:30 PM
At 8/17/2013 11:13:38 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 8/17/2013 10:31:30 AM, imabench wrote:

If you are battling a house cat, you can't go wrong with that.

LOL this was my thought, but I enjoyed the humor

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 5:11:36 PM
At 8/21/2013 12:13:41 PM, leojm wrote:
I'm a gun owner. I hunt deer and what not, and go to shooting competitions. I would love to own an AS50. Those things are awesome. I'm saving up for one.

I'm not a big fan of competition shooting because it emphasizes time and not always accuracy, but I will admit I am always impressed by competitive shooters.

leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 5:12:34 PM
At 8/21/2013 5:11:36 PM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 8/21/2013 12:13:41 PM, leojm wrote:

I'm not a big fan of competition shooting because it emphasizes time and not always accuracy, but I will admit I am always impressed by competitive shooters.

Thanks. =)
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 6:55:29 PM
Everything is changed on DDO from the last time I was on. I love it. It's so much better and easier. Thank you to whoever changed this.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 9:54:36 AM
My first gun was 1961 Winchester Model 88, it's a lever action .308 and fun to shoot. I've got a variety of shotguns and revolvers but what I really want are
Hk USP 45
A 1911, Sig or Kimber or Colt or S&W
Sig 516 rifle
Also need to get a less expensive plastic gun, Glock, M&P, XDS or something like that.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler