Jump to topic:

texting and driving

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 6:55:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Why do people do it? ... are they stupid? I don't get what's so hard about not picking up a phone and typing things with your thumbs while you're on the freeway. It particularly pissed me off when my driver's ed teacher a year ago, was telling the class not to text and drive but admitted to doing it sometimes.

I'm stumped. This is literally one of the stupidest things I can imagine someone doing while handling 2 tons of metal and combustible liquid at mindless speeds.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 6:59:38 PM
At 8/25/2013 6:55:11 PM, 000ike wrote:
Why do people do it? ... are they stupid? I don't get what's so hard about not picking up a phone and typing things with your thumbs while you're on the freeway. It particularly pissed me off when my driver's ed teacher a year ago, was telling the class not to text and drive but admitted to doing it sometimes.

I'm stumped. This is literally one of the stupidest things I can imagine someone doing while handling 2 tons of metal and combustible liquid at mindless speeds.

I really don't know. My guess is that some people really don't care about their safety. Smartphones are an addiction to some people. They just text anywhere.
Ashton
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 7:02:30 PM

I'm not advocating that this should be done under any circumstances.

However to me, it's more or less situational. E.g., if there aren't many cars on the road and I'm going at a speed that I can text and drive, then I'll text. (I didn't attempt this as an inexperienced driver though)
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 7:38:58 PM
Looking over and seeing a driver bobbing their head up and down from looking at the road to looking at the cell phone is one of the most infuriating things I've ever experienced. Looking back and seeing they have children in their car is one of the few things to top that.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 7:43:23 PM
It's so obvious when someone is texting and driving too, their skills are so impaired. They'll always swerve into the other lane like a drunk
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 7:47:29 PM

I can't think of a rational reason... but I think that most people just assume that they won't become another statistic, whether they actually consider the risk or not.
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 10:21:22 PM
The situation is similar to that of a smoker who, knowing full well the health problems likely to be sustained from continuing, cannot quit because (among various other reasons) the option to smoke is always presented as "just one more." The damage he incurs is the sum of many actions, any one of which is quite benign to his health, and whose threat does not compel him to refrain. For some, the perceived danger of texting while driving is limited to the scope of answering a single text, and the total danger is not recognized and never dealt with accordingly. Also, people tend to think reality applies to everyone except them, and like to think they are in control even when they obviously aren't.