Jump to topic:

Battle Royale vs. The Hunger Games

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 7:55:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Here, my friends, is a thread about which film is the best depiction of children killing each other.

That's right, it's the Battle Royale vs. The Hunger Games movie debate.

In celebration of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, I've decided to hold a battle to the death here. Battle Royale... Or the Hunger Games. There can be only one winner.

Only the first film in either series counts. No Battle Royale 2 or Catching Fire, only the first releases.

(Note: The extended version of Battle Royale can be used to prove your case here.)

"Life is a game. So find out if you are worth it."
#FeeltheFreezerBern
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 7:59:49 PM
At 8/31/2013 7:55:55 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Here, my friends, is a thread about which film is the best depiction of children killing each other.

That's right, it's the Battle Royale vs. The Hunger Games movie debate.

In celebration of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, I've decided to hold a battle to the death here. Battle Royale... Or the Hunger Games. There can be only one winner.

Only the first film in either series counts. No Battle Royale 2 or Catching Fire, only the first releases.

(Note: The extended version of Battle Royale can be used to prove your case here.)

"Life is a game. So find out if you are worth it."

I just read up on the plot of Battle Royale. jeeze I thought the hunger games plot was dark
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 8:07:43 PM
Why only the movies? I mean, I'll argue Battle Royale was a better film than The Hunger Games AND a better novel, but I gotta say that I thought the novel was quite better than the film in both instances.

But anyway, I think Battle Royale was MUCH MUCH MUCH more philosophical and thematic. Yes, THG dealt with entirely different themes, but Battle Royale I think was a much more thought-provoking novel than THG, whose themes were a bit stereotypical and beaten-over-the-head.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 8:15:49 PM
At 8/31/2013 8:07:43 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Why only the movies? I mean, I'll argue Battle Royale was a better film than The Hunger Games AND a better novel, but I gotta say that I thought the novel was quite better than the film in both instances.

But anyway, I think Battle Royale was MUCH MUCH MUCH more philosophical and thematic. Yes, THG dealt with entirely different themes, but Battle Royale I think was a much more thought-provoking novel than THG, whose themes were a bit stereotypical and beaten-over-the-head.

Reasons:

1. More people have seen the movies, and it allows for a more open debate.
2. Battle Royale came out in manga as well, so it would be too many versions, and it would be a jumbled mess.
3. The Hunger Games was a 3 book series of continuing storyline, and attention was taken away from the actual Hunger Games.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 8:18:41 PM
At 8/31/2013 8:15:49 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 8/31/2013 8:07:43 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Reasons:

1. More people have seen the movies, and it allows for a more open debate.

Eh, I suppose.

2. Battle Royale came out in manga as well, so it would be too many versions, and it would be a jumbled mess.

That's why I specified NOVEL. Although admittedly there was a second edition of the novel that was released in 2009 that was a better translation.

3. The Hunger Games was a 3 book series of continuing storyline, and attention was taken away from the actual Hunger Games.

That's why I was specific only to the literal novel The Hunger Games, not Catching Fire or Mockingjay.

But it doesn't matter, really. I vote Battle Royale, all the way.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 9:22:12 PM
Both movies were terrible, but in terms of the OP's question - which movie more realistically depicted children killing each other - it's obviously Battle Royale. It's not even a question.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 9:27:37 PM
At 8/31/2013 9:22:12 PM, Maikuru wrote:
but in terms of the OP's question - which movie more realistically depicted children killing each other - it's obviously Battle Royale. It's not even a question.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 1:32:23 PM
At 8/31/2013 9:22:12 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Both movies were terrible, but in terms of the OP's question - which movie more realistically depicted children killing each other - it's obviously Battle Royale. It's not even a question.

Really? You think both were terrible? I can understand the Hunger Games, since it can be especially slow and too much shaky cam, but Battle Royale, too? I mean, if you can forgive the occasional acting mistakes by the teenagers, then this film is great.
#FeeltheFreezerBern