Jump to topic:

Facebook!

leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 10:12:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm thinking of getting a Facebook account, what are the pros and cons to having a Facebook, and should I make one, and what are some suggestions you might like to offer in using Facebook.
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 11:48:13 PM
I have a Facebook. It's pretty cool. I'm just not going to reveal my full real name and stuff like that. It's just personal. Plus the raging atheists would probably attack my wall if I revealed my name. So, I'd rather not.

Go ahead and get one. You can stay in touch with friends and family, and read up on things you like. You can also play games and watch videos!
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 2:57:00 AM
Facebook is horrible. Don't do it. I would go into the cons, but I just get mad thinking about them.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 7:28:59 AM
pros:
. A good way to waste time
. If you want depression facebook is the best way to get it.

cons:
. Filled with idiots with worse grammar than a blind six year old.
. Makes about as much sense as Barack Obama on speed.
.Don't know what a duckface is? Well after 5 seconds on facebook you will.
.Having to put up with the endless stream of "friends" likes such as "whatshisname like Starbucks UK!"
.People who seem intelligent and reasonable turn very different on facebook, very different indeed..
.If you post anything that contains less than 43 spelling mistakes and does not use the "words" OMFG or LOL and you may as well be speaking Spanish.
. Posting a status about how crap your life is or how you just broke up with someone will receive about 48,0000 likes.
.Post anything meaningful or well written and it will evaporate into non existence.
. Post a picture of you and your dog/best friend, add some crappy photo editing and watch your popularity soar. Or take a photo of a tree, insert a shitty caption and you will get replies like "your sooo deep man XD" and "wish i can be takin pics like those"
.believe it or not this is considered poetry...
"this is a sad storyy it wil maek you cri. a bf was with her gf and they wer cuddlin at home when the gf say to the bf that she is got cancer and will die in 24 howers so then them bf sayed to the gf butt i love u for not 24 howe but forevar and i promise that i will maek our last 24 hours togethar be them best 24 hours of our lifes. most of u will not likek becus u are to scared but ik some og u will if u have a hert. LIKE AND COMMENT IF U CARE!!1111!

I'm practically weeping...
Turn around, go back.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 8:50:20 AM
At 9/1/2013 7:28:59 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
pros:

cons:
.Having to put up with the endless stream of "friends" likes such as "whatshisname like Starbucks UK!"
.People who seem intelligent and reasonable turn very different on facebook, very different indeed..
.If you post anything that contains less than 43 spelling mistakes and does not use the "words" OMFG or LOL and you may as well be speaking Spanish.
. Posting a status about how crap your life is or how you just broke up with someone will receive about 48,0000 likes.
.Post anything meaningful or well written and it will evaporate into non existence.
. Post a picture of you and your dog/best friend, add some crappy photo editing and watch your popularity soar. Or take a photo of a tree, insert a shitty caption and you will get replies like "your sooo deep man XD" and "wish i can be takin pics like those"
"this is a sad storyy it wil maek you cri. a bf was with her gf and they wer cuddlin at home when the gf say to the bf that she is got cancer and will die in 24 howers so then them bf sayed to the gf butt i love u for not 24 howe but forevar and i promise that i will maek our last 24 hours togethar be them best 24 hours of our lifes. most of u will not likek becus u are to scared but ik some og u will if u have a hert. LIKE AND COMMENT IF U CARE!!1111!

We are clearly using different Facebooks.

Let's go with this conclusion: Your Facebook experience may vary depending on what kind of friends you have.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 8:57:31 AM
At 9/1/2013 8:50:20 AM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 9/1/2013 7:28:59 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
pros:

cons:

We are clearly using different Facebooks.

Let's go with this conclusion: Your Facebook experience may vary depending on what kind of friends you have.

Very true, I have the misfortune of living where I live...
Turn around, go back.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 8:45:36 PM
At 9/1/2013 8:33:01 PM, leojm wrote:
Well, I surely don't have time to waste. But there seems to be a lot of bad than good to having a Facebook.

Facebook is what you make of it. I personally enjoy it.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 8:46:51 PM
At 9/1/2013 8:45:36 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
Well, I surely don't have time to waste. But there seems to be a lot of bad than good to having a Facebook.

But, it's also a pretty fast-advancing method of communication. And it's free.

You got nothing to lose.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 8:48:07 PM
At 9/1/2013 8:46:51 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 9/1/2013 8:45:36 PM, MassiveDump wrote:

But, it's also a pretty fast-advancing method of communication. And it's free.

You got nothing to lose.

thnx for the advice.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 9:14:58 PM
Pros:
A vast new array of information.
An effective way of keeping in touch with people.
Nearly everyone you know likely has a Facebook.
It's fun and often hilarious.

Cons:
Privacy is a thing of the past.
It's addicting and distracting.
You will realize how utterly annoying most of your friends are.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 9:59:27 PM
At 9/1/2013 9:14:58 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Pros:
A vast new array of information.
An effective way of keeping in touch with people.
Nearly everyone you know likely has a Facebook.
It's fun and often hilarious.

Cons:
Privacy is a thing of the past.
It's addicting and distracting.
You will realize how utterly annoying most of your friends are.

Pretty much this.

My main gripe is that Facebook has destroyed so many popular memes. Once upon a time (and this is me being a hipster elitist here) memes were something only geeks understood. Now, they're prevalent to the point of spilling over into every day vernacular, just as acronyms like 'lol' did. They're not special any more.
And this is just one example of the power of Facebook to make something go viral, and thus become so overexposed that you don't like it any more.
If I could, I'd leave Facebook; delete my account and never look at it again. UNFORTUNATELY, I have two dozen people on there that I would completely lose contact with, as it's the only avenue I have to communicate with them.
I wish people would wake up and realise G+ is basically superior in every way, with the added benefit of linking a whole bunch of other services they almost definitely use (like Youtube and Gmail) into one account.

/endrant
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2013 7:04:37 PM
Google+ is infinitely better and everyone knows so. But it's a ghost town because everyone uses Facebook. I wish we could all just immigrate at once.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
SitaraPorDios
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2013 7:25:26 PM
At 8/31/2013 10:12:59 PM, leojm wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a Facebook account, what are the pros and cons to having a Facebook, and should I make one, and what are some suggestions you might like to offer in using Facebook.

Facebook rewards and allows abuse. I was tagged in rape jokes and they did nothing while when the hookers on the Planned Parenthood Action page filed false reports to get me on a month long block. It is not worth it.
Jesus is the only way to be saved.
http://www.biblegateway.com...
Liberalism is the superior philosophy.
If you are going to talk dirty to me, say it in Spanish.
I will respect you if you respect me. Otherwise, no.
Atrag
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2013 1:36:01 PM
At 9/2/2013 7:25:26 PM, SitaraPorDios wrote:

Facebook rewards and allows abuse. I was tagged in rape jokes and they did nothing while when the hookers on the Planned Parenthood Action page filed false reports to get me on a month long block. It is not worth it.

Don't mean to be 'that guy' but you do have a reputation for being banned from things. Its extremely difficult to get banned from facebook.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2013 3:46:05 PM
My facebook account is in my sig.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~