Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Weird...

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 5:15:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Why does "<x>" show up whenever I type the word "non<x>starter" on DDO?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
lannan13
Posts: 23,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 6:26:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't know, but that's a good question.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 1:35:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I suggest a three part answer:

1. <x> looks like embedded html, even though as far as I know it isn't a valid command.
2. The DDO text editor is looking for embedded html. We know that because people hack the site by putting in html commands.
3. When given bad commands, software can do anything it wants to do.

So don't do that.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 2:35:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/13/2013 1:35:11 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I suggest a three part answer:

1. <x> looks like embedded html, even though as far as I know it isn't a valid command.
2. The DDO text editor is looking for embedded html. We know that because people hack the site by putting in html commands.
3. When given bad commands, software can do anything it wants to do.

So don't do that.

I don't follow....don't do what?

all I did was type "non<x>starter"
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 3:32:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/13/2013 2:35:44 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/13/2013 1:35:11 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I suggest a three part answer:

1. <x> looks like embedded html, even though as far as I know it isn't a valid command.
2. The DDO text editor is looking for embedded html. We know that because people hack the site by putting in html commands.
3. When given bad commands, software can do anything it wants to do.

So don't do that.

I don't follow....don't do what?

all I did was type "non<x>starter"

I don't know what you're you seeing because I'm using a minimalist browser, but it seems like you just want a dash between "non" and "starter". You would think computers could get a dash right but there are em dashes and en dashes and several other kinds (http://en.wikipedia.org...). Try typing a dash in a very simple text editor (like Notepad) and copying that into DDO. Or use DDO's plain-text (instead of rich-text) editor. The least fancy, the better.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 3:43:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/13/2013 3:32:00 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 9/13/2013 2:35:44 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/13/2013 1:35:11 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I suggest a three part answer:

1. <x> looks like embedded html, even though as far as I know it isn't a valid command.
2. The DDO text editor is looking for embedded html. We know that because people hack the site by putting in html commands.
3. When given bad commands, software can do anything it wants to do.

So don't do that.

I don't follow....don't do what?

all I did was type "non<x>starter"

I don't know what you're you seeing because I'm using a minimalist browser, but it seems like you just want a dash between "non" and "starter". You would think computers could get a dash right but there are em dashes and en dashes and several other kinds (http://en.wikipedia.org...). Try typing a dash in a very simple text editor (like Notepad) and copying that into DDO. Or use DDO's plain-text (instead of rich-text) editor. The least fancy, the better.

it's actually stranger than that. I typed no dash; I just typed it as a compound word and it inserts "<x>" in between non and starter, when what I typed was n o n s t a r t e r. And it doesn't happen with any other word except "non starter" specifically.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Bullish
Posts: 3,527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 9:11:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/13/2013 9:11:37 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 9/13/2013 9:11:18 PM, Bullish wrote:
non<x>starter

on<x>starter

on<x>start
0x5f3759df
Bullish
Posts: 3,527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 9:12:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/13/2013 9:11:58 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 9/13/2013 9:11:37 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 9/13/2013 9:11:18 PM, Bullish wrote:
non<x>starter

on<x>starter

on<x>start

nstart
0x5f3759df
Bullish
Posts: 3,527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 9:12:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/13/2013 9:12:24 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 9/13/2013 9:11:58 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 9/13/2013 9:11:37 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 9/13/2013 9:11:18 PM, Bullish wrote:
non<x>starter

on<x>starter

on<x>start

nstart

onstar
0x5f3759df
Bullish
Posts: 3,527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 9:13:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/13/2013 9:12:41 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 9/13/2013 9:12:24 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 9/13/2013 9:11:58 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 9/13/2013 9:11:37 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 9/13/2013 9:11:18 PM, Bullish wrote:
non<x>starter

on<x>starter

on<x>start

nstart

onstar

It's happening here too.

Anybody know what "on start" means?

onend
0x5f3759df