Jump to topic:

HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!l

Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 10:07:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In sociology class we are doing a project where we have to break social norms and write about people's reactions.

Here are a few examples to get the thought process going (but I cant use these so use your brain and think of something creative)

1) Walking into an elevator without turning around and facing the doors
2) Stare at people
3) Walk in between people who are talking and invade people's personal space.

The only thing I can think of is to stare at people at red lights but I need other stuff any suggestions?

Would you guys want to see the paper I write on this?
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 10:20:27 PM
Do the "stare at people thing" in a rough neighborhood... Should make for a very interesting paper.*

*Neither Airmax nor DDO actually endorses such a thing nor take any responsibility for any injuries that become of it.
Debate.org Moderator
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 10:27:36 PM
Cross dress
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 10:29:06 PM
At 9/13/2013 10:07:41 PM, Disquisition wrote:
In sociology class we are doing a project where we have to break social norms and write about people's reactions.

Here are a few examples to get the thought process going (but I cant use these so use your brain and think of something creative)

2) Stare at people

The only thing I can think of is to stare at people at red lights but I need other stuff any suggestions?

- Blast music that people wouldnt suspect you would be the type of person to listen to
- when talking to every word, sing every sentence
- scratch your butt and dont stop unless you sit down
- Talk really loud and then really soft without reaching a normal range
- go to a public bathroom and announce what you are experiencing as you drop a deuce in vivid detail

Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 10:30:06 PM
At 9/13/2013 10:29:06 PM, imabench wrote:

2) Stare at people

- Blast music that people wouldnt suspect you would be the type of person to listen to
- when talking to someone sing every word*

fixed it

- go to a public bathroom and announce what you are experiencing as you drop a deuce in vivid detail

Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 10:31:53 PM
At 9/13/2013 10:20:27 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Do the "stare at people thing" in a rough neighborhood... Should make for a very interesting paper.*

*Neither Airmax nor DDO actually endorses such a thing nor take any responsibility for any injuries that become of it.

After watching what happened to vitaly, specifically at the end Im not so sure lol.
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 10:33:42 PM

2) Stare at people

I might do the bathroom thing then quickly explain but I dunno about the others lol
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 10:34:39 PM
At 9/13/2013 10:33:42 PM, Disquisition wrote:

2) Stare at people

I might do the bathroom thing then quickly explain but I dunno about the others lol

Actually never mind I dunno how chill this professor is
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 10:41:14 PM
I think you should go more subtle:

Use large bills when spending under 50 cents.
walk a cat
Wear two different color shoes
Ask for extra MSG when ordering Chinese food (and seriously, who doesn't love MSG?)
Get something from a fast food place without bacon in it... (I think they have bacon free shakes now)
Debate.org Moderator
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 10:47:41 PM
At 9/13/2013 10:41:14 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

walk a cat
Ask for extra MSG when ordering Chinese food (and seriously, who doesn't love MSG?)
Get something from a fast food place without bacon in it... (I think they have bacon free shakes now)

NOT EXTREME ENOUGH

Walk a rhinocerous and act like its a dog
Wear as many shoes as you can
Ask for extra ketchup over and over and over
order a milkshake and pour it all over yourself when they hand it to you
yell out 'WHO FARTED' really loudly and then immediately run out of the building you are in
Leave a note on a car that says 'sorry about the damage' and then watch them try to find the damage

Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 11:38:49 PM
At 9/13/2013 11:37:25 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
out of the social norm

>rape

Bet you took a lot of meaningful time to come up with that one.
proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 11:52:18 PM
out of the social norm

>rape

NOT funny, sir!
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 11:55:21 PM
At 9/13/2013 10:47:41 PM, imabench wrote:

walk a cat

NOT EXTREME ENOUGH

yell out 'WHO FARTED' really loudly and then immediately run out of the building you are in
Leave a note on a car that says 'sorry about the damage' and then watch them try to find the damage

NOTE to MassiveDumA$$

This is funny.

Oh and the youtube, though long, was funny, also. Oh and Airmax was even a bit funny.

Sexual violence? Not so much.
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 11:59:44 PM
At 9/13/2013 11:55:21 PM, proglib wrote:
At 9/13/2013 10:47:41 PM, imabench wrote:

walk a cat

NOT EXTREME ENOUGH

NOTE to MassiveDumA$$

This is funny.

Oh and the youtube, though long, was funny, also. Oh and Airmax was even a bit funny.

Humor isn't really my thing, (in fact, I'm thinking about banning it) so being even a bit funny is a huge win for me.

...But I agree with your point..

Sexual violence? Not so much.
Debate.org Moderator
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 5:04:10 AM
Go into a nearly empty movie theater and sit right next to people.

Skip at every crosswalk.

Stand at the entrance of a public restroom and snap a picture of every person as they come out.

Try to start a game of "peek a boo" with strangers on the street.

Go to the grocery store and touch all the fruit while making yummy noises.

Go to a Catholic Church service. Bend down at the entrance, and noisily sip from the holy water. Take a phone call during the Epiphany and discuss Miley Cyrus in your outdoor voice. Receive the communion but instead of eating it, make a show out of putting it in your wallet. When the offering basket comes around, blow your nose into a Kleenex and put it the basket.

Knock on a stranger's door and casually ask if they've seen "Smurfs2" then begin explaining the plot in minute detail until they slam the door.

Walk up to a Police Officer and offer to give him a hug because he looks like he needs one.

When you shake hands with a man, admire the softness of his hands. Ask him what moisturizer he uses.

Put Qtips and cigarette butts in your hair.

Stuff you pockets with unwrapped food, sandwiches, cookies, etc Eat while you talk to people.

Clip your fingernails at the library and make a little pile of them in front of you.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:18:36 AM
Do the stare at people thing, but when they notice you, mouth the words "I love you" repeatedly.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:24:07 AM
Mouth vacuum at random people and see how they react or say words that sound like curse words under your breath near families.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:28:56 AM

2) Stare at people

I'm surprised that you were given this assignment; firstly because its being assigned is precariously close to being unethical, secondly because of the risk that could be inherent in doing this.

I really don't even see the reason to actually do the assignment -that is, actually "experiment" by breaking norms. It wouldn't be difficult to figure out how people would react.

Is this a college assignment? For what level class?
Tsar of DDO
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:33:23 AM
At 9/14/2013 10:28:56 AM, YYW wrote:

2) Stare at people

I'm surprised that you were given this assignment; firstly because its being assigned is precariously close to being unethical, secondly because of the risk that could be inherent in doing this.

I really don't even see the reason to actually do the assignment -that is, actually "experiment" by breaking norms. It wouldn't be difficult to figure out how people would react.

I totally agree with you, I'm regretting even taking this over psychology now since apparently people say it's easier. It's an introductory sociology class which I was forced to take and I'm a freshman. She did say don't do anything that would put your life in jeopardy put she certainly didn't emphasize that.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:42:28 AM
At 9/14/2013 10:33:23 AM, Disquisition wrote:
At 9/14/2013 10:28:56 AM, YYW wrote:

2) Stare at people

I totally agree with you, I'm regretting even taking this over psychology now since apparently people say it's easier. It's an introductory sociology class which I was forced to take and I'm a freshman. She did say don't do anything that would put your life in jeopardy put she certainly didn't emphasize that.

Who teaches the class? A grad student, non-tenured professor, tenure-track professor or a tenured professor? I'm guessing a non-tenured or grad student...
Tsar of DDO
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:59:49 AM
At 9/14/2013 10:58:56 AM, tulle wrote:
You should get a friend to do the observing for you while you do whatever you're doing.

Or vice versa. Get a friend willing to do something and observe them, is probably the better option since you're the one writing the paper.
yang.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 11:26:59 AM

2) Stare at people

A while back in Cal they did a study where people of the same gender walked about holding hands. That got a LOT of feedback.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 11:46:10 AM
At 9/13/2013 11:52:18 PM, proglib wrote:
out of the social norm

>rape

NOT funny, sir!

It was a reference. I obviously don't condone stuff like that.
rajun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 12:02:42 PM
1.In a bus stand, Hold a pole and shout " no, don"t take me...somebody please help me"
2.Wear a T-shirt with Justin Bieber in it and sing "Man is born free to be anything...."
3.In a lift, fart and then point at someone...
4.Ask a stranger for a lift and while stepping in, say "Your car is not nice..."
5.Keep on singing Yo mama jokes
6. Scratch your groin before doing a handshake.
Only cool guys can see this....
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 12:06:26 PM
Why does e dry thing have to have a potentially negative affect?

Simple things like going up to strangers and initiating a discussion about their lives, how they are doing, politics, movies, sports, anything really is outside societal norms yet holds a positive affect on others. Even things like giving free hugs or complimenting strangers randomly isn't a sociatal norm and is a lot less risky than some of these.
Nolite Timere
simpleman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 4:41:36 PM
Actually display common courtesy towards others and bear a smile when others take it for granted or even resent it.