Jump to topic:

Should I eave DDO for a month?

leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 5:23:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I just feel I need a break from DDO. It get's so boring at times. It takes so much of my time. What are your thoughts? Should I or shouldn't I?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 5:33:49 PM
It's hard for me to describe to you my facial expression when I read some of the threads you start... it's something like this: http://download.ultradownloads.com.br... just taken down a few notches.

In all seriousness, if you find the site boring and time-consuming, then I'm not sure what's keeping you here. Are we to convince you to stay? is that it?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 6:10:59 PM
Nope.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 10:13:00 PM
At 9/17/2013 6:16:47 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
I think we could all use a month off.

This. Go ahead and take some time off if you really want to.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 10:15:39 PM
Log off DDO. Don't log back on until you think it would be fun to log back on again. Then see if it's been a month
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 10:02:27 AM
At 9/17/2013 5:23:49 PM, leojm wrote:
I just feel I need a break from DDO. It get's so boring at times. It takes so much of my time. What are your thoughts? Should I or shouldn't I?

At least a month, if only for starting inane threads which are nothing more than poorly disguised attempts to fish for compliments "Oh, don't leave leojm, you're such an interesting, thought-provoking person, we couldn't bare to be away from for a whole month!"
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 10:14:44 AM
At 9/18/2013 10:02:27 AM, drafterman wrote:

At least a month, if only for starting inane threads which are nothing more than poorly disguised attempts to fish for compliments "Oh, don't leave leojm, you're such an interesting, thought-provoking person, we couldn't bare to be away from for a whole month!"

No, that's not the reason. I'm actually wanted people to say yes.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 10:19:27 AM
At 9/18/2013 10:14:44 AM, leojm wrote:

Then yes.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 10:26:05 AM

Which doesn't refute my point. Passive-aggressive attempts to fish for compliments often include self-deprecating comments in order to incite people's nature inclination toward empathy. You insult yourself in an attempt to coerce people to disagree or argue with you, thus complimenting you in the process.

If you actually wanted people to tell you to leave, you'd just leave.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 11:28:22 AM
At 9/18/2013 10:26:05 AM, drafterman wrote:

Which doesn't refute my point. Passive-aggressive attempts to fish for compliments often include self-deprecating comments in order to incite people's nature inclination toward empathy. You insult yourself in an attempt to coerce people to disagree or argue with you, thus complimenting you in the process.

I find it strange you are accusing her of this. She doesn't do it in the OP, she's simply asking for advice.

I've seen a LOT of other people do this, and those people I think would make a much more appropriate target for this specific criticism.

As it stands, agree with just about everyone here, no one is forcing leojm to stay, she's free to come and go as she pleases.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 11:50:07 AM
At 9/18/2013 11:28:22 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

I find it strange you are accusing her of this. She doesn't do it in the OP, she's simply asking for advice.

I don't even see how that's possible. How can anyone else be in a position to determine her level of activity on this site? I can't see this as anything but a compliment fishing expedition. All such "goodbye" threads are really just that IMO. If I'm leaving I have other ways of getting/keeping in touch with the people who I want to get/keep in touch with.

I've seen a LOT of other people do this, and those people I think would make a much more appropriate target for this specific criticism.

No argument. This is the one I happened to see at this moment in time.

As it stands, agree with just about everyone here, no one is forcing leojm to stay, she's free to come and go as she pleases.

Then what's to advise on? Or is the suggestion that she didn't know she's free to come and go as she pleases?
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 12:20:21 PM
It is getting slightly boring, at one point the posts flowed like wine, now however they do not seem to exist. I was thinking of taking a break.
Turn around, go back.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 12:49:49 PM
At 9/18/2013 11:50:07 AM, drafterman wrote:

I don't even see how that's possible. How can anyone else be in a position to determine her level of activity on this site? I can't see this as anything but a compliment fishing expedition. All such "goodbye" threads are really just that IMO. If I'm leaving I have other ways of getting/keeping in touch with the people who I want to get/keep in touch with.

1) I don't see any self-deprecating comments from her.
2) I see no self-insults from her.
3) I don't see any desire to get people to disagree with her.
4) I agree with you that "goodbye threads" have much of that in common, but this didn't look like a "goodbye thread" to me. It looked like a "what am I missing on DDO?" thread, and so far the chorus seems to be saying "not much" and "cya."

Then what's to advise on? Or is the suggestion that she didn't know she's free to come and go as she pleases?

Basically, no, she's not missing much, and maybe she got caught up posting on DDO for whatever reason, and after taking a step back, realized that she wasn't getting nearly as much out of it as she thought she was. If that's the case, the advice is "yes, take some time off, cya."
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:02:21 PM
At 9/18/2013 12:49:49 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

The fact that she says she wants people to tell her to leave.

3) I don't see any desire to get people to disagree with her.

I think it's implied.

4) I agree with you that "goodbye threads" have much of that in common, but this didn't look like a "goodbye thread" to me. It looked like a "what am I missing on DDO?" thread, and so far the chorus seems to be saying "not much" and "cya."

Basically, no, she's not missing much, and maybe she got caught up posting on DDO for whatever reason, and after taking a step back, realized that she wasn't getting nearly as much out of it as she thought she was. If that's the case, the advice is "yes, take some time off, cya."
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:06:19 PM
At 9/18/2013 1:02:21 PM, drafterman wrote:

lol, maybe it's not a self-insult, but an insult to DDO and the DDO community, in which case I'm fvcking offended! LOL

I don't know. I probably don't see nearly as much of leojm's activity here than others on this website, so I will probably read far less into such comments than others.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:07:04 PM
inb4 - was sarcastic above, lol. =)
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:08:28 PM
At 9/18/2013 1:06:19 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

lol, maybe it's not a self-insult, but an insult to DDO and the DDO community, in which case I'm fvcking offended! LOL

I don't know. I probably don't see nearly as much of leojm's activity here than others on this website, so I will probably read far less into such comments than others.

I probably read too much into it. Oh well.
BritWolfe19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:08:43 PM

I say it is your choices and you shouldn't take other people's opinions... If you feel like you need or want to take a break from DDO then do it. If not then stay. It is a choice only you can make. Have fun with whatever you choose... Bye. Ttyl...
Brittaney S. Wolfe
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 4:10:16 PM
At 9/18/2013 1:08:28 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 9/18/2013 1:06:19 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

I probably read too much into it. Oh well.

i do see a lot of here activity, and i hate to say it drafter, but your kinda right
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 5:05:32 PM
At 9/18/2013 1:40:12 PM, leojm wrote:
I'm going to take a break, in the fall.

It should be in the summer instead or when I shove off to the land that God forgot in Paris Island in March.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 5:57:54 PM
At 9/18/2013 5:05:32 PM, lannan13 wrote:

It should be in the summer instead or when I shove off to the land that God forgot in Paris Island in March.

lol. ok. I will think bout it.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 5:59:00 PM
At 9/18/2013 5:57:54 PM, leojm wrote:

What's there to laugh about? I'm being serious.

leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 6:00:50 PM
At 9/18/2013 5:59:00 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I laughed at the part you were going to shove off to the land that God forgot in Paris Island in March. ok, I didn't know if you were serious, but now I know.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 6:09:52 PM
At 9/18/2013 6:00:50 PM, leojm wrote:
At 9/18/2013 5:59:00 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I laughed at the part you were going to shove off to the land that God forgot in Paris Island in March. ok, I didn't know if you were serious, but now I know.

That's what a lot of Marines call it. Trust me I've been there before and it was hell!