Jump to topic:

Grading Exam Methods?

Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 12:47:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Okay I've been taking sociology for a few weeks now. Initially I liked it and thought it was interesting, but now I just don't like it as much.

The main reason is because we have to write exam papers called practicums. In which we do little social experiment or something of that nature, and write something about it. One practicum in particular our group members had to write and give separate parts of the paper (like into, procedure, conclusion etc....) to the group leader who put it all together and turned it in. I got a low score on my portion but I felt like I answered my part appropriately.

Before I was about to ask why I scored low, the teacher announces that even though you are in a group we will heavily grade you according to what other group members did, basically comparing effort. This gave me the impression that they could care less about the actual rubric they provided, making your grade subjected to what someone else does. And on top of that she has two TA's that do grading for her, allowing for some subjective bs.

This really isn't affecting my grade since the practicums are only 10% of it and all of them are different, but it still sucks.

Ask more questions for clarification.

Do you think she should grade like this?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2013 8:51:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/2/2013 12:47:32 PM, Disquisition wrote:
Okay I've been taking sociology for a few weeks now. Initially I liked it and thought it was interesting, but now I just don't like it as much.

The main reason is because we have to write exam papers called practicums. In which we do little social experiment or something of that nature, and write something about it. One practicum in particular our group members had to write and give separate parts of the paper (like into, procedure, conclusion etc....) to the group leader who put it all together and turned it in. I got a low score on my portion but I felt like I answered my part appropriately.

Before I was about to ask why I scored low, the teacher announces that even though you are in a group we will heavily grade you according to what other group members did, basically comparing effort. This gave me the impression that they could care less about the actual rubric they provided, making your grade subjected to what someone else does. And on top of that she has two TA's that do grading for her, allowing for some subjective bs.

This really isn't affecting my grade since the practicums are only 10% of it and all of them are different, but it still sucks.

Ask more questions for clarification.

Do you think she should grade like this?

The Fool: well that social Science. Lol. The University is a business to, so as long as they Can extrapolate I nice bell curve over the the distribution over the class scores they are happy.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL