RiP

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 11:15:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Bear with me...

Today, I lost one of my very best friends. My 10 year old German Shepard, Duchess, had to be put down. This has been one of if not THEE hardest loss I've ever had... and while it may sound trivial to some, I guess the reality is that I love my dogs more than I love most people.

I got my big girl when she was just a puppy and she's been with me through it all. I grew up with her and she came with me when I got my very first and then my second apartment. I'm glad she took those big steps with me. She was the most loyal companion I've ever had; so aloof but loving - just like me :)

Haha - We always joked that she was a lesbian too because she was so awesome. She was incredibly intelligent, LOVED the outdoors, and her favorite things in the entire world were being athletic -- playing catch and playing fetch (aside from lying with me or right next to me). Plus, she was just so chilltacular, and only a lesbian could be that awesome :p

Every morning she would come into our bedroom and wake Vi up by nuzzling her -- She knew better than to come to me, because I sleep like a log. I'm really gonna miss that amongst other things. She was so incredibly attached; honestly she would follow Vi and I around the house and sleep next to us or right under us at all times. Her favorite was lying under Vi's legs while she rested them on the coffee table as she went on her laptop.

Anyway, I really miss my little homie. It's not 'home' without her. My other dog seems to be okay which I was worried about, since I got them both on the very same day so they've never been apart. I guess we're all taking it pretty hard in our own way. Now I don't believe in heaven or life after death in a religious sense, but I do realize that all energy is recycled. Here's to hoping that all of Duchess' good vibes get passed on to another amazing puppy(s) so that her legacy lives on.

Again, I know this is kind of random, but bear with me. This is a random thread commemorating all of our lost loved ones - especially our furry friends. Rest in Peace, Dutch Girl... She may have been a Duchess, but she was always my Queen.
President of DDO
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 11:17:00 AM
At 12/24/2009 11:15:09 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Bear with me...

Today, I lost one of my very best friends. My 10 year old German Shepard, Duchess, had to be put down. This has been one of if not THEE hardest loss I've ever had... and while it may sound trivial to some, I guess the reality is that I love my dogs more than I love most people.

I got my big girl when she was just a puppy and she's been with me through it all. I grew up with her and she came with me when I got my very first and then my second apartment. I'm glad she took those big steps with me. She was the most loyal companion I've ever had; so aloof but loving - just like me :)

Haha - We always joked that she was a lesbian too because she was so awesome. She was incredibly intelligent, LOVED the outdoors, and her favorite things in the entire world were being athletic -- playing catch and playing fetch (aside from lying with me or right next to me). Plus, she was just so chilltacular, and only a lesbian could be that awesome :p

Every morning she would come into our bedroom and wake Vi up by nuzzling her -- She knew better than to come to me, because I sleep like a log. I'm really gonna miss that amongst other things. She was so incredibly attached; honestly she would follow Vi and I around the house and sleep next to us or right under us at all times. Her favorite was lying under Vi's legs while she rested them on the coffee table as she went on her laptop.

Anyway, I really miss my little homie. It's not 'home' without her. My other dog seems to be okay which I was worried about, since I got them both on the very same day so they've never been apart. I guess we're all taking it pretty hard in our own way. Now I don't believe in heaven or life after death in a religious sense, but I do realize that all energy is recycled. Here's to hoping that all of Duchess' good vibes get passed on to another amazing puppy(s) so that her legacy lives on.

Again, I know this is kind of random, but bear with me. This is a random thread commemorating all of our lost loved ones - especially our furry friends. Rest in Peace, Dutch Girl... She may have been a Duchess, but she was always my Queen.

I am sorry, i had a feeling so i sent vi a pm asking her earlier.
so you can tell her to disregard and that i am sorry.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 11:19:16 AM
I love dogs and I have to agree if you don't have one it seems outrageous to make such a big deal about a dogs death. But once you have one and you laugh at all the stupid crap they do, then its seriously equivalent to a person.

Dogs become part of the family, sorry about your loss Lwerd.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 11:29:47 AM
At 12/24/2009 11:19:46 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Wow, sorry for your loss. What happened to the dog?

She was perfectly fine until last week. One day she just couldn't really stand up or walk. I took her to the vet, and X-Rays showed that she had really bad arthritis. We got her pain meds, and made an appointment with the neurologist since we only had enough pills to last the week.

For a few days afterward, she seemed better. We knew she'd never be the same (the arthritis just made her joints too stiff, so she couldn't run or be as active as she used to)... but then on the 3rd day, she just collapsed and couldn't stand up. The medicine originally seemed to help, but then she went backwards. She couldn't use her hind legs at ALL. Without being able to move, she was no longer able to go outside, and she stopped going to the bathroom all together (except for while we were asleep -- she had too much dignity to soil herself in front of us -- she was really smart like that). We took her to the vet again, but the vet couldn't do anything about it and just told us to make her comfortable.

Yesterday I realized that she wasn't really eating or drinking, and just seeing her lying there was taking a huge toll on all of us. She was always smiling (lol literally, it seemed!) but she just got so sullen and her eyes have been watering like she was crying. I realized yesterday that she would never be the same. The neurologist may have performed a surgery on her with no guarantees, but I couldn't afford that procedure which costs thousands of dollars. Plus, her quality of life would have been - and already was - greatly diminished.

In German Shepard years, she was about 70. I think it was just her time and the right thing to do. We should be so humane to our humans! No one wants to die scared, and she certainly didn't. Her last moments were spent eating treats as Vi and I stroked her and told her we loved her. It all happened so fast. I only wish I could be so lucky as to depart peacefully like that!

Anyway I'm completely distraught, but I'm comforted in believing whole heartedly that it was the best thing for her. To keep her here would have been selfish. She wasn't living her life the way she wanted to, and this prevented the maximum amount of pain and suffering for everyone - most of all, her. It was eerily prophetic, too, since this morning I gave her the very last pill of pain medicine in the bottle.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 11:31:29 AM
Thanks, john. I have one "half" sister and one "half" brother... It sounds f-cked up, but my dogs are more like siblings (or even children... hell, family in general) to me than both of them. She's a part of the family indeed. Especially for me, who lives so so so far from everyone I know.
President of DDO
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 11:37:26 AM
I know what you mean my dog does a whole plethora of ridiculous things. My life wasn't even half as humorous before I got my dog. I'm sure I'll be just as devastated when she leaves. Just enjoy the family you have while you have it.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 11:39:01 AM
I've never had to go through the loss of an animal I was attached to, so I wouldn't be able to relate yet; however, I will have to eventually. I love my dog.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 11:42:09 AM
Well wherever she is, she definitely took a part of me with her.

That dog has been there with me through it all. Seriously. Once time I was in a (physical) altercation and she actually came to my rescue; I was being choked and she jumped up and smacked the person -- and I guess scratched em -- with her huge paw. It's funny looking back, but she was my hero. I was really young at the time too, so it seemed even more, I dunno, magical?

She's been with me through the craziest nights of my life. I've been through a lot. I've spent holidays with her, and f-cked up nights with her, and sober nights with her, and everything in between. She's been there through my "phases." She's been there through boys; she's certainly been there through the girls... She lived with my ex and I as well -- I'm dreading breaking the news to my ex (which I feel I should), because she was so attached to her also just as Vi came to be attached to her. Anyone who really knew her could see and sense how great she really was. She's definitely the most awesome dog I've ever met, and I'm not just saying that because she was mine :) I just got really lucky with her.

Anyway, thanks again for the well wishes. I should probably go now because I'm bawling and can't really see the computer screen - heh. Happy Holidays, everyone.
President of DDO
untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 1:01:12 PM
At 12/24/2009 11:42:09 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Well wherever she is, she definitely took a part of me with her.

That dog has been there with me through it all. Seriously. Once time I was in a (physical) altercation and she actually came to my rescue; I was being choked and she jumped up and smacked the person -- and I guess scratched em -- with her huge paw. It's funny looking back, but she was my hero. I was really young at the time too, so it seemed even more, I dunno, magical?

She's been with me through the craziest nights of my life. I've been through a lot. I've spent holidays with her, and f-cked up nights with her, and sober nights with her, and everything in between. She's been there through my "phases." She's been there through boys; she's certainly been there through the girls... She lived with my ex and I as well -- I'm dreading breaking the news to my ex (which I feel I should), because she was so attached to her also just as Vi came to be attached to her. Anyone who really knew her could see and sense how great she really was. She's definitely the most awesome dog I've ever met, and I'm not just saying that because she was mine :) I just got really lucky with her.

Anyway, thanks again for the well wishes. I should probably go now because I'm bawling and can't really see the computer screen - heh. Happy Holidays, everyone.

Greatest sympathies, L and to Vi as well. My first dog died when I was 8 and then the one we adopted shortly thereafter had behavioral issues that could not be corrected so we had to give him away. Right now we have a Rott/Alaskan Shepard/Lab mix who just found us on vacation who is the sweetest thing ever - I dread the day I will have to put her down.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 9:01:04 PM
At 12/24/2009 1:03:21 PM, Puck wrote:
Mayhaps plant something in memoriam. Life to commemorate life. :)

That's a good idea :)

We put her collar around the Xmas tree at the top because she's our star :)
President of DDO
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 9:10:37 PM
My dog died when I was about seven, and it really hurt.

I have another dog, and couldn't imagine losing her.

Truly sorry for the loss. Based on the pictures, you're dog was quite adorable.
dogparktom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 4:47:45 AM
L, please accept my sympathy at your loss. I know what you and Vi are going through. Now you must grieve. Just cry whenever you feel the need.

Bill was my cockapoo, a one person dog. We camped and canoed together. I had him for sixteen years. Finally, my wife said that he had to be put down, that she would take him to the vet. I said goodbye to Bill and went to work.

I stopped for my usual breakfast. Just as the server came, I started to cry. I told her why. She expressed sympathy and said she'd get me some breakfast. She explained my crying to the other regulars. As they left, the men patted me and the women hugged me, all without saying anything. After that day I stuffed my grief.

Thereafter, I actually suffered from depression. I didn't realize that I needed to let go and cry, and grieve. I quit camping and canoing.

Real men aren't supposed to cry over dead dogs!

I hate to say this but losing my dog Bill was more painful than losing my father. I loved Bill more than I did my father. There was no distance of any kind between me and Bill.

So, my advice is that terrible personal losses - our dogs - must be grieved.
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:17:05 AM
My condolences for your loss. I've lost dogs before, so I know what a horrible feeling it is, and I truly sympathize with you.
"We were having a philosophical discussion and I asserted that the only demonstrable reality is individual consciousness, but he insisted on the existence of a priori moral values that transcended free will. So I hit him." - Walon Vau
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 11:06:52 AM
Thanks for the sympathies, everyone. I've been crying a lot and trying to get used to her not being in her usual spots in the house (she liked laying in corners). Also, tom, condolences on your loss as well. Dogs are really special. I don't know if I've ever been this upset over the loss of a person :/
President of DDO
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:34:56 PM
Aww, sorry for your loss, L and Vi. I lost a dog back when I was 8, and it didn't hurt too bad. Now, I have a 7 year-old dog and I am very attached to her. I love her more than most people, definitely my brother, and sometimes my sister. I lost my Nana recently and I didn't cry once, and she lived with my family for like eight years because she was handicapped. The rest of my family, nuclear and extended, was delirous but I didn't show any emotion at all, really - and I was downstairs with my Dad and Mom when the ambulance came to take her out. I'm not sure how I'll react when I lose Jessie (female, seven y/o, yellow lab-golden retriever mix), but I'll definitely be sad.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:38:40 PM
Thank you so much, Nags. Our other dog is a yellow lab/ golden retriever mix :) His name is Duke (the yellow one in the video I posted here). He misses his sister very much :/
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:48:31 PM
No problem. And your other dog, Duke looks very similar to my dog Jessie -- they could probably be brother and sister, or at least cousins. :) I'll try to get a picture up by tomorrow. I got a new laptop today and I've been on for HOURS trying to connect it to the wireless adapter or whatever, so I'm kinda pissed right about now. Feel better!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:48:58 PM
Nags - Sorry about all that. Everyone reacts to loss differently. I was a lot more hardened when I was younger, but as I got older, I got more emotional with each one. At this point, my baby girl is definitely the hardest loss I've gone through. I can say that I love my 2 dogs more than I love my siblings (honestly) as I've never been close to either of them, and since I moved out, I only see them a few times a year and it's awkward and strained. We don't get along and barely talk. Plus, they're a lot younger than me (My brother's going to be 16 and my sister is only 12). Anyway, my dogs are my heart - my family... especially now that I live in Illinois and the only other person I know here is Vi and our roommate... ugh. If there is indeed an afterlife, I hope that Duchess is happy somewhere eating peanut butter and playing catch non-stop. We got our other dog, Duke, on the same day 10 years ago and he is also 1/2 yellow lab and 1/2 golden retriever.

THIS IS DUKE (And Vi)!

http://i710.photobucket.com...
President of DDO
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:55:36 PM
Aw - I cried while watching the video. I really never cry unless I'm watching a video about animals passing on or things of that nature. Both of your dogs looked quite healthy and happy.

Nonetheless, the road to recovery (obviously) will not be easily. I personally value my dog over certain members of my family, as I'm sure you guys did as well. I find it best to not necessarily think about the happiest times you were with your dog, but glancing at the spots in the house where your dog used to lie and take presence. When I lost my first dog, I would do that all the time. I'd look at the spot and picture her laying there, waiting for me to give her a nice belly rub or a treat. After picturing her body, I'd realize that she wasn't here anymore, but instead of feeling depressed, it kind of relaxed me. Although I can never bring my dog back, I can always remember her at certain locations of the house.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:56:24 PM
I'm sorry. One of my dogs died there at the beginning of the summer and it wrecked me. He was sick and myself and my cousin had to bring him to get put down, but we couldn't do it so we just left him out on the road miles from anywhere and told the family we did it. Then he landed home again about two days later and died not long afterwards at home. I love dogs. I've had so many.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:57:44 PM
At 12/25/2009 8:52:44 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Isn't he/they cuuute :)

Very ;)

I really enjoy labs and german shepherds. Beagles are my favorite.

At least you have pictures and vids to look at...