Jump to topic:

Declawing cats should be illegal

IHateThinkingOfNames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 9:42:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Declawing cats is an inhumane and totally unnecessary procedure. I can't believe it's still legal in America when it has been outlawed in so many other countries. I understand that people don't want their furniture to be torn up, but there are so many other non-surgical alternatives. Thoughts?

For those interested: If you don't have an account on We the People already, please sign up and join the cause to put an end to declawing: http://wh.gov...
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 10:07:58 PM
At 10/18/2013 9:42:06 PM, IHateThinkingOfNames wrote:
Declawing cats is an inhumane and totally unnecessary procedure. I can't believe it's still legal in America when it has been outlawed in so many other countries. I understand that people don't want their furniture to be torn up, but there are so many other non-surgical alternatives. Thoughts?

For those interested: If you don't have an account on We the People already, please sign up and join the cause to put an end to declawing: http://wh.gov...

Y u no post as debate?
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 4:36:36 PM
At 10/18/2013 9:42:06 PM, IHateThinkingOfNames wrote:

Benjamin franklin once said, "If you treat a dog like a human, he will treat you like a dog." It means that we shouldn't treat animals as equals at least not until we stop treating each other like crap
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
IHateThinkingOfNames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 4:42:35 PM
Benjamin Franklin is not infallible. And just because we should work on treating each other kindly doesn't mean we can't stop the unethical practice of declawing.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 4:43:35 PM
At 10/21/2013 4:42:35 PM, IHateThinkingOfNames wrote:
Benjamin Franklin is not infallible. And just because we should work on treating each other kindly doesn't mean we can't stop the unethical practice of declawing.

did i say he was infallible noooooo I DIDN'T. ugghhhh
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 5:00:01 PM
At 10/21/2013 4:45:21 PM, IHateThinkingOfNames wrote:
So why was the quote relevant? Why does it matter that Benjamin Franklin said it?

it doesn't matter it just has great insight.

10 things that separate us from animals

speech: a humans voice box sits lower in our throats than most animals, also we have a descended hyoid bone not connected to any other bones that allows us to articulate words.

Upright posture: the way that our backbones are oriented make it so that we are able to say upright while sitting standing and moving

Nakedness: we have just as many hair follicles as primates just thinner shorter lighter hairs.

Hands: while we are not the only animals to posses thumbs our hands are more flexible.

Brains: while not the largest, the human brain, weighing only about 3 pounds when fully grown, give us the ability to reason and think on our feet beyond the capabilities of the rest of the animal kingdom

Clothing: connected into the brain we made something to cover up our nakedness

fire: history explains this

blushing: humans are the only species known to blush

long childhoods: humans parents take care of their children for longer than every other species

Life after children: most species reproduce and die that one explains itself
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 5:13:44 PM
At 10/21/2013 5:10:25 PM, IHateThinkingOfNames wrote:
None of that gives us a right to abuse animals. Declawing cats is indeed animal abuse.

How!?!?!?!?
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 5:41:32 PM
At 10/21/2013 5:29:38 PM, IHateThinkingOfNames wrote:
Because the feel pain just like us. There is no reason to abuse them.

that is one of the most flawed arguments i have ever seen
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 5:46:33 PM
At 10/21/2013 5:41:54 PM, IHateThinkingOfNames wrote:
How so?

you're argument would propose that giving shots which causes cats pain is abuse.
IHateThinkingOfNames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 5:49:46 PM
And shots aren't generally considered "abuse". People give their kids shots but they aren't arrested for child abuse.
IHateThinkingOfNames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 9:59:10 AM
At 10/22/2013 9:13:27 AM, MassiveDump wrote:
Until cats find a productive niche in our society, I'll do what I want.

Cats are used as companions and for pest control. There you go.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 11:04:23 AM
At 10/22/2013 9:59:10 AM, IHateThinkingOfNames wrote:
At 10/22/2013 9:13:27 AM, MassiveDump wrote:
Until cats find a productive niche in our society, I'll do what I want.

Cats are used as companions and for pest control. There you go.

Are cats paying income tax?
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 11:45:55 AM
At 10/22/2013 11:44:43 AM, IHateThinkingOfNames wrote:
Do babies pay income tax?

If they earn money, they do.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
IHateThinkingOfNames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 11:46:53 AM
At 10/22/2013 11:45:55 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:

Not very many babies earn money.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 5:27:27 PM
At 10/22/2013 11:46:53 AM, IHateThinkingOfNames wrote:
At 10/22/2013 11:45:55 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:

Not very many babies earn money.

And it's legal to declaw babies.

/thread
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 5:29:10 PM
1) It's just a cat...
2) Cats without claws are super easy to handle, they don't destroy furniture or your face.
3) Like any surgical procedure, cats get over it and are fine in the long run.
4) You're an idiot.
5) It's just a cat...
annnnnddddd
6) It's just a cat.

YEE-ZUSSSS
IHateThinkingOfNames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 5:33:49 PM
At 10/22/2013 5:29:10 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
1) It's just a cat...
2) Cats without claws are super easy to handle, they don't destroy furniture or your face.
4) You're an idiot.
5) It's just a cat...
annnnnddddd
6) It's just a cat.

YEE-ZUSSSS

I would like to remind you that this is Debate.org, not the YouTube comments section.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 5:40:58 PM
At 10/22/2013 5:33:49 PM, IHateThinkingOfNames wrote:
1) It's just a cat...
4) You're an idiot.
5) It's just a cat...
annnnnddddd
6) It's just a cat.

YEE-ZUSSSS

This comment received too many negative votes.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 5:46:09 PM
At 10/22/2013 5:33:49 PM, IHateThinkingOfNames wrote:
1) It's just a cat...
4) You're an idiot.
5) It's just a cat...
annnnnddddd
6) It's just a cat.

YEE-ZUSSSS

I would like to remind you that this is Debate.org, not the YouTube comments section.

I would like to remind you that... I have been here for a long long time. So long in fact that I even forgot the touch of grass... the breath of wind... even my own name...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 5:50:25 PM
Are you saying that animals have rights? Why?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush