Jump to topic:

How does DDO Mafia Work?

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 12:45:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm curious--how does it work? And, once I know the rules, where do I sign up?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 1:07:56 AM
Its a game thing not an actual organization, ask drafterman for details about DDO mafia, and it all happens in the games section
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 1:09:59 AM
At 10/31/2013 12:45:19 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I'll be starting a beginner series soon.
Feel free to sign up then. (I'll post a link when sign ups are here)

But, the short answer is in the games section.
My work here is, finally, done.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 1:44:12 AM

The other posters hit the general nail on the head.

But, since I didn't know WTH it was for a long time, and I'm still a relative newbie myself, I'll give a brief explanation:

Mafia is a game where 2 teams attempt to win: Mafia (or Scum) and Town. Each one wins when the other is "dead".

The Mafia know who each other are, and are given a strategy Private Message (PM) that they can talk amongst themselves in. The townsfolk are not given this, and are restricted to only posting in the main game thread and any special PMs set up by the moderator for any special abilities they may have.

The game as played in forums (it's originally a party game, I believe) is played basically thus:

There are 2 phases: Day Phase and Night Phase. The game starts on Day Phase. (These are often abbreviated DP and NP).

There is a main thread for each "Day Phase". The Day Phase begins with an account of what has happened in the secret "Night Phase" (if anything). Over the course of the Day Phase, the town decides as a whole (Townsfolk and Mafia) who to lynch. Again, the mafia know who they are and who the townsfolk are, but the Townsfolk do not--they are attempting to figure out who the mafia is. Once a majority is reached on an individual, that individual is "lynched", and the Day Phase ends.

Over the Night Phase, the mafia gets to kill 1 Townsperson. They decide in their PM who that is.

Also during the NP are abilities used. There are many abilities, though there are several common ones such as Cop, who is a "Townie" who can choose one person a night to investigate, and "Roleblocker", a "Scum" who can block others's roles.

The game ends when the Mafia are all lynched, or the Town is reduced to the same number of people as the Mafia at the end of a DP (because then they get their night kill, though that presumes there not to be a Town NP kill ability).

Now, that's the simple version. A lot of games have themes, or muck around with the abilities, or even with the night/day phases, or even have "third parties" to throw into the mix, but that's a bare-bones summary.

It's a game of behavioral analysis, trying to figure out who's trying to help town vs. who's trying to LOOK like they're helping Townies find Scum.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 1:29:37 PM
At 10/31/2013 1:44:12 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

The other posters hit the general nail on the head.

But, since I didn't know WTH it was for a long time, and I'm still a relative newbie myself, I'll give a brief explanation:

Mafia is a game where 2 teams attempt to win: Mafia (or Scum) and Town. Each one wins when the other is "dead".

The Mafia know who each other are, and are given a strategy Private Message (PM) that they can talk amongst themselves in. The townsfolk are not given this, and are restricted to only posting in the main game thread and any special PMs set up by the moderator for any special abilities they may have.

The game as played in forums (it's originally a party game, I believe) is played basically thus:

There are 2 phases: Day Phase and Night Phase. The game starts on Day Phase. (These are often abbreviated DP and NP).

There is a main thread for each "Day Phase". The Day Phase begins with an account of what has happened in the secret "Night Phase" (if anything). Over the course of the Day Phase, the town decides as a whole (Townsfolk and Mafia) who to lynch. Again, the mafia know who they are and who the townsfolk are, but the Townsfolk do not--they are attempting to figure out who the mafia is. Once a majority is reached on an individual, that individual is "lynched", and the Day Phase ends.

Over the Night Phase, the mafia gets to kill 1 Townsperson. They decide in their PM who that is.

Also during the NP are abilities used. There are many abilities, though there are several common ones such as Cop, who is a "Townie" who can choose one person a night to investigate, and "Roleblocker", a "Scum" who can block others's roles.

The game ends when the Mafia are all lynched, or the Town is reduced to the same number of people as the Mafia at the end of a DP (because then they get their night kill, though that presumes there not to be a Town NP kill ability).

Now, that's the simple version. A lot of games have themes, or muck around with the abilities, or even with the night/day phases, or even have "third parties" to throw into the mix, but that's a bare-bones summary.

It's a game of behavioral analysis, trying to figure out who's trying to help town vs. who's trying to LOOK like they're helping Townies find Scum.

Thanks for the explanation!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 3:39:58 AM

If you're interested...
http://www.debate.org...
My work here is, finally, done.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 5:48:51 PM

-_-
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 6:17:20 PM
I remember there was a post on it in the DDO Orientation, which is stickied in the DDO board in the forums. I'd link it for you, but i'm on my phone and it's being stupid. Oh eayh and i wrote it so i'm awesome.
UnopinionatedMoron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2013 6:22:30 PM

PM airmax and sell your soul.
"I am stupid but this quote is not." - A genius