Jump to topic:

Questions about Don Quixote

Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 9:05:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Man this is a really interesting book but as of where I'm at right now, the perspectives are a bit confusing. If you've read the book, please shed some light on this without spoiling it.

We all know Cervantes is the one writing the book in real life ok. In part 1 of the book, he obviously places himself within the story as a nameless character, who finds the different authors ( or really the historical writings of different authors) who write about Don Quixote's adventures and tells the reader about the adventures through the perspective of these different authors, with a little background narration.

This is clear, but in part 2 , it is initially thought that Don Quixote (after his recovery from final injuries in part 1) is famous from his exploits by what Sanson Carrascos says (aka Knight of the Forest aka Knight of the Spangles). Which is basically that his deeds have been recorded in history and that people all over the world are talking about him. After this, Don Quixote decides to go on more adventures (partially because Sanson persuaded him to) where he meets Sanson (disguised as the Knight of the Spangles) who tries to bring Quixote back home by defeating him in a battle. Winning the battle would allow him to command that Quixote stay in his homelands by the laws of chivalry. However, It is later revealed that Sanson and the priest actually devised this whole plot to bring Don Quixote home by force.

Butttt, what isn't revealed is why Sanson told Don Quixote that his deeds are famous. Actually he (Sanson) even gives descriptions of the authors who wrote about Quixote - descriptions that somewhat coincides with what the "nameless character" (who I mentioned above) said about the authors who wrote about Don Quixote.

So if you actually read through this post, I'm just as mind-fucked as you. Is Don Quixote breaking the wall due to the knowledge of the people who are writing about him and does this mean that the authors that the "nameless character" is talking about are actually characters in the book, not just writers who write about Quixote or am I just over analyzing this. Or will this all make sense after I'm done reading it?

Here is a little breakdown if you're hopelessly confused.

Ok this is like a painting within a painting breakdown of who is writing about who.

Cervantes --> "Nameless Character" ( who I think is Cervantes actually in the book) --> Different historical authors
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 10:22:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
And if this question can't be answered, then to paraphrase the ingenious Don Quixote himself :)

You are all the greatest wretches and villains of the whole earth. Ya good for nothing rogues, curse the whores who brought you all in to the world, for you all have thrown me into the greatest bewilderment that I've known for all the days of my life.

And, if this question still isn't answered, then I have a good mind to work such havoc on you all from now to the end of time. /sarcasm