Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

I Wanna Learn Spanish...

PatriotPerson
Posts: 1,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 9:30:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I would get Rosetta Stone or something, but that crap is expensive.
I have a friend named Jose who is fluent in Spanish, but frankly he sucks at teaching.
Reading from an English-Spanish dictionary would be too slow and boring.
I would rather do it alone than in some sort of class.

What should I do?
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 9:39:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/21/2013 9:30:03 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
I would get Rosetta Stone or something, but that crap is expensive.
I have a friend named Jose who is fluent in Spanish, but frankly he sucks at teaching.
Reading from an English-Spanish dictionary would be too slow and boring.
I would rather do it alone than in some sort of class.

What should I do?

Theres no way to quickly and easily learn a language all by yourself without dropping some serious money.

Of the four things you listed above, pick the one that bothers you the least, eliminate it, and re-evaluate your options
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
PatriotPerson
Posts: 1,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 9:41:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/21/2013 9:39:37 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/21/2013 9:30:03 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
I would get Rosetta Stone or something, but that crap is expensive.
I have a friend named Jose who is fluent in Spanish, but frankly he sucks at teaching.
Reading from an English-Spanish dictionary would be too slow and boring.
I would rather do it alone than in some sort of class.

What should I do?

Theres no way to quickly and easily learn a language all by yourself without dropping some serious money.

Of the four things you listed above, pick the one that bothers you the least, eliminate it, and re-evaluate your options

I guess I could stick with Jose and a dictionary.
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
PatriotPerson
Posts: 1,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 3:11:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/23/2013 12:37:03 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Pirate it. Its what the cool kids are doing.

I'd rather stay legal.
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
yay842
Posts: 5,680
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 3:39:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
this super cool (ineffective) trick can help you learn a language easily. (because I haven't tried it) All you have to do is to listen to a couple of natives speak Spanish for 2 weeks or so. Something like that. Like watch Spanish opera or listen to a Spanish radio
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
http://www.debate.org...
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
http://www.debate.org...
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
PatriotPerson
Posts: 1,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 5:19:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/23/2013 3:39:41 PM, yay842 wrote:
this super cool (ineffective) trick can help you learn a language easily. (because I haven't tried it) All you have to do is to listen to a couple of natives speak Spanish for 2 weeks or so. Something like that. Like watch Spanish opera or listen to a Spanish radio

Jee thanks for giving me an ineffective trick.Yay842? More like Nay842.
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
yay842
Posts: 5,680
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 12:17:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/23/2013 5:19:30 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
At 11/23/2013 3:39:41 PM, yay842 wrote:
this super cool (ineffective) trick can help you learn a language easily. (because I haven't tried it) All you have to do is to listen to a couple of natives speak Spanish for 2 weeks or so. Something like that. Like watch Spanish opera or listen to a Spanish radio

Jee thanks for giving me an ineffective trick.Yay842? More like Nay842.

it actually works, just keep listening to a bunch of natives speak the language fluently for about an hour a day and in 2 weeks, you could learn at least basic Spanish
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
http://www.debate.org...
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
http://www.debate.org...
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 1:59:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/23/2013 3:11:09 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
At 11/23/2013 12:37:03 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Pirate it. Its what the cool kids are doing.

I'd rather stay legal.

Well, thats the most efficient way to learn if you want to learn on your own and don't want to spend a lot of money. But if you Google "rosetta stone alternatives", you'll find several products that are significantly cheaper. Inevitably, they won't be as good, but combined with supplemental material, they should achieve the same result. You can also check Best Buy or some other local electronics store and see what products they have. In addition to Best Buy, I've also seen an alternative language software in Sams Club, which means they probably have it at Walmart, too.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 2:02:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/27/2013 1:42:50 PM, Sargon wrote:
Go to school.

Incidentally, this is good advice. I only became interested in learning Spanish after finishing high school, and I immediately regret not listening as much in Spanish classes as I should have. Since you actually have someone in the room that knows spanish in and out (hopefully....) you'll be able to ask questions about things that would be a lot harder to find the answer to if you're just using a program.