Blogging. Graphic/Web design.
Software engineer.
Writer/journalist.
Copywriting/Sales.
Consulting and Coaching.
EBay.
ECommerce/Dropshipping.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 1:57:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/30/2013 1:38:37 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Poker.
SOLD
Stock/Options/FX Trading.
Requires math.
Freelancing.
Requires planning.
Consulting.
Requires people.
Internet marketing.
Requires math.
Blogging. Graphic/Web design.
Requires creative abilities.
Software engineer.
Requires hella math.
Writer/journalist.
Requires being liberal.
Copywriting/Sales.
Requires giving a f*ck about copyright laws.
Consulting and Coaching.
Requires giving a f*ck in general.
EBay.
Sure, I could sell my soul.

Dammit.
ECommerce/Dropshipping.
Screw it, I'm sticking with poker.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 9:50:44 AM
At 11/30/2013 2:02:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Nearly all of those (discounting freelancing, which could actually mean a number of things) require reliable internet access, which arguably limits one's mobility.

Free WiFi is everywhere. Not only that, but with a reliable 3G internet card or portable high-speed satellite internet device, you can use the Internet everywhere on the planet.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 9:51:31 AM
At 11/30/2013 2:03:18 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
You forgot all the criminal ones.

My list is by no means comprehensive, feel free to add some dope criminal ones.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 9:52:02 AM
At 11/30/2013 4:16:39 PM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
Being a professional hitman is often a good source of mobile income.

Imma miss u SIlk Road :'(
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 2:34:33 PM
At 12/1/2013 9:50:44 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Nearly all of those (discounting freelancing, which could actually mean a number of things) require reliable internet access, which arguably limits one's mobility.

Free WiFi is everywhere. Not only that, but with a reliable 3G internet card or portable high-speed satellite internet device, you can use the Internet everywhere on the planet.

Everywhere?
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 1:58:57 PM
At 12/1/2013 2:34:33 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Everywhere?

Yeah, my parents' Galaxies even have internet on the highway. However, it doesn't seem to work when flying; presumably they block it so you have to fork out money for their Wi-fi.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 3:39:21 PM
At 12/2/2013 1:58:57 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Everywhere?

Yeah, my parents' Galaxies even have internet on the highway. However, it doesn't seem to work when flying; presumably they block it so you have to fork out money for their Wi-fi.

I think it would be nice to travel someplace where one could not access the internet--an image flashes before me in this regard of a secluded forest clearing, or a kind of Shangri-La nested cozily in some mountain range. It is a shame that to these places there might always be the possibility of traveling with some kind of networked mobile device.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 3:59:55 PM
At 12/2/2013 3:39:21 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Everywhere?

I think it would be nice to travel someplace where one could not access the internet--an image flashes before me in this regard of a secluded forest clearing, or a kind of Shangri-La nested cozily in some mountain range. It is a shame that to these places there might always be the possibility of traveling with some kind of networked mobile device.

Why? Also, not necessarily: http://radioghost.com...

When did you get into this ascetic stuff? Was it a factor in your deleting your facebook?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 5:50:53 PM
At 12/2/2013 3:59:55 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

I've spent several nights now thinking about that question--the question of why in response to a desire or to an emotion, and the only real answer I've come up with is itself an emotion--disappointment.

In one way, there is never a satisfactory answer--one can trace and trace without ever reaching an origin or a beginning, or none which, in any case, can be trusted absolutely. On the other hand, when one is afraid of something, one might do well, not only to ask why one is afraid of something, but how one might overcome this fear. Or, when one is in a relationship with the person one loves, one could choose either to commit full faith to the arrangement or to inquire into what may have spurred the attraction, what keeps the relationship moving, whether one's partner is actually satisfied or is thinking something which, if revealed, might cause some kind of tension.

So, I could say "I think I would feel at peace in such a place", but one might wonder whether there's not some other reason, perhaps a psychoanalytic repression or simple fact of conditioned response (or something more incomprehensible), and then, what emotions or other conditionings might underlie this, and why they did not manifest in some other preference, whether there's perhaps some "ultimate preference" which cannot be escaped, etc.

I am not sure, therefore, whether to say "this is simply what I want to do" or "I really have no idea". It's the situation, perhaps, of being upset with someone who is hostile to you, only to find out later that they lost, say, their job or significant other, or wanting to condemn a thief who you do not realize was only trying to steal to feed his family (but then, perhaps this person also gets a rush from stealing, and yet, where does this rush come from, and who could blame him anyway for following what gave him such a sense of being alive?).

It's clumsy and pregnant with all kinds of meaning to say so, but I think there's a certain kind of madness involved in thought. In the way that, in Kafka's Trial, the trial gradually becomes the sentence and the punishment, thought, as a kind of attempt to avoid groping around in the dark, is itself the groping, a kind of performative apocalypse enacted in the act of trying to resist.

When did you get into this ascetic stuff? Was it a factor in your deleting your facebook?

I couldn't say. I don't think "ascetic stuff" really designates something clear or precise, temporally or conceptually, which makes it hard to say whether "it" influenced my withdrawal from Facebook.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 5:58:28 PM
At 12/2/2013 5:50:53 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 12/2/2013 3:59:55 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

I've spent several nights now thinking about that question--the question of why in response to a desire or to an emotion, and the only real answer I've come up with is itself an emotion--disappointment.

In one way, there is never a satisfactory answer--one can trace and trace without ever reaching an origin or a beginning, or none which, in any case, can be trusted absolutely. On the other hand, when one is afraid of something, one might do well, not only to ask why one is afraid of something, but how one might overcome this fear. Or, when one is in a relationship with the person one loves, one could choose either to commit full faith to the arrangement or to inquire into what may have spurred the attraction, what keeps the relationship moving, whether one's partner is actually satisfied or is thinking something which, if revealed, might cause some kind of tension.

So, I could say "I think I would feel at peace in such a place", but one might wonder whether there's not some other reason, perhaps a psychoanalytic repression or simple fact of conditioned response (or something more incomprehensible), and then, what emotions or other conditionings might underlie this, and why they did not manifest in some other preference, whether there's perhaps some "ultimate preference" which cannot be escaped, etc.

I am not sure, therefore, whether to say "this is simply what I want to do" or "I really have no idea". It's the situation, perhaps, of being upset with someone who is hostile to you, only to find out later that they lost, say, their job or significant other, or wanting to condemn a thief who you do not realize was only trying to steal to feed his family (but then, perhaps this person also gets a rush from stealing, and yet, where does this rush come from, and who could blame him anyway for following what gave him such a sense of being alive?).

It's clumsy and pregnant with all kinds of meaning to say so, but I think there's a certain kind of madness involved in thought. In the way that, in Kafka's Trial, the trial gradually becomes the sentence and the punishment, thought, as a kind of attempt to avoid groping around in the dark, is itself the groping, a kind of performative apocalypse enacted in the act of trying to resist.

You sound pretty introspective. Have you considered isolation tanks?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 11:18:03 AM

Everywhere?

Want to travel from Kenya to South Africa with me in a few months?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 3:40:58 PM
At 12/7/2013 11:18:03 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Everywhere?

Want to travel from Kenya to South Africa with me in a few months?

When is "a few months"? I'd want to start reserving some money for this.