Jump to topic:

Lets play MAFIA

Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2008 10:54:23 AM
Posted: 8 years ago
Gather around and lets play a game of wits. Trust me, I've played it on other forums and its rather fun.

Basic Rules:

In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia.

At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases. Usually the first is Night. During Night, the Town can not communicate, but the Mafia can discuss and choose someone to murder. After the Moderator has received the name of the victim, the Moderator reveals the dead player, and Day begins.

During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch; they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it is once again Night.

The game alternates between Night and Day until either the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have killed everyone else.

If you're having trouble understanding how to play, click on the following link and then click on basic sample on the left hand side of the screen: http://www.sitesled.com...'s a simple game, but rather fun. It should definately get this forum more active if people play.

With that said, I shall be the moderator for this game and shall need and odd number of participants (7 for this game since it's doubtful that anyone has ever played . . . just as is the case in the basic sample provided in my link, though I'm willing to allow more assuming more than 7 peopel are interested)

#1.
#2.
#3.
#4.
#5.
#6.
#7.

If there are any extra questions that concern this game's setup, feel free to ask.

PS:
Usually in games, all players have roles that grant them abilities, but for this game, I'll keep it simple, so the game will be EXACTLY like the basic sample game you found in the link.

PPS:

I might recruit an experienced friend from another forum just so that things may run smoothly.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2008 1:13:53 PM
count me in mate.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2008 1:17:30 PM
At 11/26/2008 1:16:35 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
Awesome. You won't regret it.

#1. askbob.
#2.
#3.
#4.
#5.
#6.
#7.

I'll play, but only if I cam be designated #5.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2008 1:24:13 PM
At 11/26/2008 1:17:30 PM, JBlake wrote:
At 11/26/2008 1:16:35 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
Awesome. You won't regret it.

#1. askbob.
#2.
#3.
#4.
#5.
#6.
#7.

I'll play, but only if I cam be designated #5.

Sure.

#1. askbob
#2.
#3.
#4.
#5. JBlake
#6.
#7.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2008 6:21:24 PM
http://www.sitesled.com...

My previous link wasn't working, so here is that link for those who wish to see a sample:

#1. askbob
#2. ournamestoolong
#3.manutdredseal46 (either 8 or 46)
#4. TheSkeptic
#5. JBlake
#6.
#7.

PS: I've never played this game at any place but a forum. How do you do it in real life? I'm rather curious? Won't people be able to tell who the mafia are if they see them leave the room to discuss their night kill?
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2008 6:31:12 PM
PS: I've never played this game at any place but a forum. How do you do it in real life? I'm rather curious? Won't people be able to tell who the mafia are if they see them leave the room to discuss their night kill?

Haha oh man, you're missing out. I would say that playing Mafia in real life is much more challenging and fun. At Night, everyone will "go to sleep" (bow their head and close their eyes) while "God" (the moderator) asks for the Mafia to wake up. They all bring up their head and silently point at someone to kill. The God confirms the kill, and tells them to go to sleep. Then, you incorporate other base players like the Healer and the Cop (excluding tons of other various extra roles), and you got one hell of a Mafia game!

It's fun cause it brings in the human element when you play. Observing people's behavior and stuff really works if you play with them after awhile, so acting turns into a necessity.

PS: Are we gonna have the whole accusations-court-trial thing?
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2008 6:38:11 PM
At 11/26/2008 6:31:12 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

Haha oh man, you're missing out. I would say that playing Mafia in real life is much more challenging and fun. At Night, everyone will "go to sleep" (bow their head and close their eyes) while "God" (the moderator) asks for the Mafia to wake up. They all bring up their head and silently point at someone to kill. The God confirms the kill, and tells them to go to sleep. Then, you incorporate other base players like the Healer and the Cop (excluding tons of other various extra roles), and you got one hell of a Mafia game!

It's fun cause it brings in the human element when you play. Observing people's behavior and stuff really works if you play with them after awhile, so acting turns into a necessity.

PS: Are we gonna have the whole accusations-court-trial thing?

I see. That does sound like fun, though I'd imagine players can more easily get away with cheating in that game during the "bow your head" process. :D

By the way, do you think I should incorporate roles such as the healer and cop in this game or do you think I should wait until the second game (assuming people like this game enough), given that this is probably the first time others have even heard of this game as well as the fact that there won't be that many players for this game?

Are we gonna have the whole accusations-court-trial thing?

What do you mean?
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2008 7:42:35 PM
By the way, do you think I should incorporate roles such as the healer and cop in this game or do you think I should wait until the second game (assuming people like this game enough), given that this is probably the first time others have even heard of this game as well as the fact that there won't be that many players for this game?

I think we should just stick with Mafia - Villagers since this is the first time this game has come to Debate.org forums.

Are we gonna have the whole accusations-court-trial thing?

What do you mean?

Actually nevermind, I just realized that maybe it wouldn't really apply since this is a forum. It's basically when someone accuses another person of being Mafia, and everyone has to be silent except for these two players. The prosecutor states his reason, the accused defends, the prosecutor can call witness or give his own reasons, and the accused can similarly call a witness or give his own reasons before everyone goes to vote-for-lynch. Witnesses are basically people who raise their hand willing to give their reasons for why you are not guilty (if your the accused and calling upon them) or for why the accused is guilty (if your the prosecutor and calling upon them).

Yeah, it's mainly so people won't be shouting over each and for crowd control. But this is a forum so since we are typing, not so much of a problem.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2008 9:10:22 PM
#1. askbob
#2. ournamestoolong
#4. TheSkeptic
#5. JBlake
#6. Harlan
#7.

We only need one more people. :D (though if more want to play, I don't mind. The more the merrier.)
Labrat228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2008 9:19:52 PM
I'm In.
1 Q - How is the mafia going to execute or kill (Through message?)
VOTE INNOMEN

How much pot does Charlie Sheen do?
Enough to kill Two and a Half Men!
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2008 9:27:05 PM
At 11/26/2008 9:19:52 PM, Labrat228 wrote:
I'm In.

Yes, through private messages of course. I'll start a private message discussion with the mafia and they can discuss who to kill as well as inform me of their decision of who to kill.

#1. askbob
#2. ournamestoolong
#4. TheSkeptic
#5. JBlake
#6. Harlan
#7. Labrat228

Keep in mind, slots are still open people. Other possibly players can still join if they want to. I'll give it another hour or 2 before I start the game.
Labrat228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2008 9:29:04 PM
At 11/26/2008 9:27:05 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
I'm In.

Yes, through private messages of course. I'll start a private message discussion with the mafia and they can discuss who to kill as well as inform me of their decision of who to kill.

Makes since
VOTE INNOMEN

How much pot does Charlie Sheen do?
Enough to kill Two and a Half Men!
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2008 9:33:42 PM
I'm In.

So the forum itself will only be used for you to make announcements? Will the town also have private voting?
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2008 9:38:43 PM
At 11/26/2008 9:33:42 PM, Harlan wrote:
I'm In.

So the forum itself will only be used for you to make announcements? Will the town also have private voting?

Sorry for instigating confusion. Let me explain: The actual mafia team will be the only ones who vote to kill in private during the NIGHT PHASE. During the DAY PHASE, everyone will be using this thread to discuss as well as to lynch off a player.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2008 10:01:31 PM
Actually, there might be one slot open. Labrat sent me a message suggesting that he wouldn't be able to play (given that this game may very well last over the course of several days, I'm not sure if he merely meant tomorrow). If it turns out that he will be able to play and we get an extra player, then we'll just have 8 players instead of 7.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2008 8:31:14 AM
Axe Inquire
let Brian in.

Sorry Inquire, Brian's just too funny.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2008 8:45:02 AM
Heh, I'm letting both in. Labrat will probably have to be excluded as I haven't heard any clarification on his change of plans. I think he won't be back for a while.