Total Posts:46|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

wtf?

leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 11:40:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Humourless folks in the USA have been responsible for getting a KFC ad pulled off the air in Australia because they (absolutely ridiculously IMO) believe it is racist against African Americans.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au...

Methinks Kelly184 or whatever that dude's name is from ddo has been up to his old tricks again. The black people in the ad weren't even African American, they were West Indian. It was a stupid ad anyway and frankly I'm glad to see it taken off the air because of how sh*t it was, but not for something as stupid as this.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:13:16 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I could see how that's offensive. I just thought it was kinda funny.

If anything it's a shot against white people because he's the only one not dancing. :p
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:20:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 12:18:28 AM, Puck wrote:
How?

Black people and greasy chicken is an apparent stereotype in the US. Odd, I know.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:24:03 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 12:18:28 AM, Puck wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:13:16 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
I could see how that's offensive.

How?

Hmm, an uncomfortable white guy makes the situation less akward (or gets "in" with them) by thrusting out a bucket of chicken to black people? Do you know the stereotype about black people and chicken in the US? It's not offensive to me but I can see how some people could take it the wrong way.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:24:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 12:20:09 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:18:28 AM, Puck wrote:
How?

Black people and greasy chicken is an apparent stereotype in the US. Odd, I know.

True, but how does this then equate to a commercial showing a bunch of West Indians being offered a bucket of chicken being offensive to African Americans. That's like me personally getting offended by an ad with a stereotypical Dutch dude Clog-dancing and smoking a joint, just because our skin is roughly the same colour.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:27:20 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 12:24:51 AM, leet4A1 wrote:
True, but how does this then equate to a commercial showing a bunch of West Indians being offered a bucket of chicken being offensive to African Americans. That's like me personally getting offended by an ad with a stereotypical Dutch dude Clog-dancing and smoking a joint, just because our skin is roughly the same colour.

Either because a) they're too stupid to see it was West Indians, or b) they think the viewers are too stupid to see they're West Indians.
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:34:55 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 12:27:20 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:24:51 AM, leet4A1 wrote:
True, but how does this then equate to a commercial showing a bunch of West Indians being offered a bucket of chicken being offensive to African Americans. That's like me personally getting offended by an ad with a stereotypical Dutch dude Clog-dancing and smoking a joint, just because our skin is roughly the same colour.

Either because a) they're too stupid to see it was West Indians, or b) they think the viewers are too stupid to see they're West Indians.

Haha, probably a 50/50 split.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:36:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 12:24:03 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:18:28 AM, Puck wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:13:16 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
I could see how that's offensive.

How?

Hmm, an uncomfortable white guy makes the situation less akward (or gets "in" with them) by thrusting out a bucket of chicken to black people? Do you know the stereotype about black people and chicken in the US? It's not offensive to me but I can see how some people could take it the wrong way.

No, I fail to see how it's offensive. It's no different than if he handed out marshmallows. People eat KFC, big deal.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:42:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 12:36:35 AM, Puck wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:24:03 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:18:28 AM, Puck wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:13:16 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
I could see how that's offensive.

How?

Hmm, an uncomfortable white guy makes the situation less akward (or gets "in" with them) by thrusting out a bucket of chicken to black people? Do you know the stereotype about black people and chicken in the US? It's not offensive to me but I can see how some people could take it the wrong way.

No, I fail to see how it's offensive. It's no different than if he handed out marshmallows. People eat KFC, big deal.

What if he was handing out watermelon? Would you say that's the same as him handing out marshmallows?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:47:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 12:42:51 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

What if he was handing out watermelon? Would you say that's the same as him handing out marshmallows?

Yup because the ad isn't playing to the stereotype at all, simply food makes friends. To hold it as true you must indict all instances where it occurs, including when they actually do eat the food (portraying the stereotype is less offensive than it actively occuring) thus requiring the ban of sales of chicken/watermelon/stereotype of choice to black people.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:48:25 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
And yes I am well aware of the various stereotypes that occur, that is not the issue of whether it was offensive or not.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:51:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 12:48:25 AM, Puck wrote:
And yes I am well aware of the various stereotypes that occur, that is not the issue of whether it was offensive or not.

Uh what? That'd be exactly why it'd seem offensive to some people.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:53:08 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 12:51:05 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:48:25 AM, Puck wrote:
And yes I am well aware of the various stereotypes that occur, that is not the issue of whether it was offensive or not.

Uh what? That'd be exactly why it'd seem offensive to some people.

Nope, the offensiveness is a construct made up entirely on the end of those that scream racism, enforcing the ad as stereotypical black behaviour. It has nothing to do with the ad itself.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 11:16:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 12:47:34 AM, Puck wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:42:51 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

What if he was handing out watermelon? Would you say that's the same as him handing out marshmallows?

Yup because the ad isn't playing to the stereotype at all, simply food makes friends. To hold it as true you must indict all instances where it occurs, including when they actually do eat the food (portraying the stereotype is less offensive than it actively occuring) thus requiring the ban of sales of chicken/watermelon/stereotype of choice to black people.

Talk about a non-sequitur. What would be "playing to the stereotype" to you?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 1:58:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 11:16:44 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:47:34 AM, Puck wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:42:51 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

What if he was handing out watermelon? Would you say that's the same as him handing out marshmallows?

Yup because the ad isn't playing to the stereotype at all, simply food makes friends. To hold it as true you must indict all instances where it occurs, including when they actually do eat the food (portraying the stereotype is less offensive than it actively occuring) thus requiring the ban of sales of chicken/watermelon/stereotype of choice to black people.

Talk about a non-sequitur.

No it's a reductio ad absurdum.

What would be "playing to the stereotype" to you?

How is this difficult? Recognising a stereotype and recreating it.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:08:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The Ad was clearly abusing the stereo type and It was conscious of it, the Ad is therefore at fault. I see how it's funny but leave humor to the Internet and choice viewing; it's immoral to broadcast something like that on public TV.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:10:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 2:08:06 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
The Ad was clearly abusing the stereo type and It was conscious of it.

Utterly wrong. The ad series shows multiple instances of white people in groups eating chicken and these were *West Indians* where the stereotype does not even apply.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:13:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 1:58:03 PM, Puck wrote:
How is this difficult? Recognising a stereotype and recreating it.

So how is it difficult for you to see why some people would be offended by the commercial? Stereotype: black people and fried chicken - usually negative connotations. Commerical: Guy feels akward in a crowd full of black people. So he gives them a bucket of fried chicken in order to be cool with them.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:14:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 2:08:06 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
The Ad was clearly abusing the stereo type and It was conscious of it, the Ad is therefore at fault. I see how it's funny but leave humor to the Internet and choice viewing; it's immoral to broadcast something like that on public TV.

FFS man.

THE STEREOTYPE: In AMERICA, the stereotype is that AFRICAN AMERICANS eat a lot of chicken.

THE AD: In AUSTRALIA, a man offers a bunch of WEST INDIANS some chicken so that they will be friends with him.

The ad had nothing to do with the U.S. stereotype. It is an ad based on cricket, the national game which KFC happens to sponsor. West Indies is a team Australia verses often. Most Australians don't even know about the African American stereotype, and those who do couldn't give two sh*ts. Why on earth would KFC play to a stereotype nobody in the viewing audience knows or cares about?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Frodobaggins
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:15:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 12:24:03 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:18:28 AM, Puck wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:13:16 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
I could see how that's offensive.

How?

Hmm, an uncomfortable white guy makes the situation less akward (or gets "in" with them) by thrusting out a bucket of chicken to black people? Do you know the stereotype about black people and chicken in the US? It's not offensive to me but I can see how some people could take it the wrong way.

Are you attempting to say that 51% of black people do not like fried chicken? I'm willing to put it on the line that at least 51% of white people would be fine with a bucket of fried chicken. It would get them back with me.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:18:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 2:13:45 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/7/2010 1:58:03 PM, Puck wrote:
How is this difficult? Recognising a stereotype and recreating it.

So how is it difficult for you to see why some people would be offended by the commercial?

You are making the wrong argument. You set out to prove that the ad *was* offensive, not that some idiots like to scream BLACK PEOPLE IN AN AD LET'S CAUSE A FUSS.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:21:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 2:13:45 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Guy feels akward in a crowd full of black people. So he gives them a bucket of fried chicken in order to be cool with them.

Also completely wrong. It's a sport issue, not race. No different than if you were screaming for ManU in a crowd of shaven head Leeds supporters.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:22:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 2:08:06 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
The Ad was clearly abusing the stereo type and It was conscious of it

Take a look at the color of the clothing, rather than the color of the skin.

Notice that the guy 'in an awkward situation" is wearing yellow and green.

Everyone else is wearing maroon and (blue?)

One is Australian cricket colors. One is West Indian cricket colors. That is the awkward situation, and why the fellow needs to do something to relieve the tension- Puck's "food makes friends."

Most people in the West Indies have black skin, it is true-- KFC would be accused of racism if they attempt to whitewash the fan base of a sports team like that, and probably rightly so. I don't know the extent to which the "fried chicken" stereotype exists in Australia, but it would be nonsensical for a FRIED CHICKEN company to perpetuate a stereotype about fried chicken. To the extent racism is present, such would only serve to present fried chicken as a less pleasant option.

I don't know how you could possibly come to the conclusion you did, unless you simply wanted to be able to conclude it so bad you convinced yourself to ignore all contrary information.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:23:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 2:18:25 PM, Puck wrote:
At 1/7/2010 2:13:45 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/7/2010 1:58:03 PM, Puck wrote:
How is this difficult? Recognising a stereotype and recreating it.

So how is it difficult for you to see why some people would be offended by the commercial?

You are making the wrong argument. You set out to prove that the ad *was* offensive, not that some idiots like to scream BLACK PEOPLE IN AN AD LET'S CAUSE A FUSS.

When did I say the ad was offensive? Quote me.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:26:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
"I could see how that's offensive"

And before you go that's just those other people, to see it as that you must first recognise the offensiveness of their case, so moot.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:29:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
If he handed out fried chicken and watermelon, at the same time. You might have a resemblance of a case. Lol.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:32:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 2:21:42 PM, Puck wrote:
At 1/7/2010 2:13:45 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Guy feels akward in a crowd full of black people. So he gives them a bucket of fried chicken in order to be cool with them.

Also completely wrong. It's a sport issue, not race. No different than if you were screaming for ManU in a crowd of shaven head Leeds supporters.

Why also handing out saltine crackers and mayonaise because I felt akward? I could see how that'd be offensive to some white people who knew of the stereotype - doesn't mean that I actually find it offensive.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:33:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/7/2010 2:14:42 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 1/7/2010 2:08:06 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
The Ad was clearly abusing the stereo type and It was conscious of it, the Ad is therefore at fault. I see how it's funny but leave humor to the Internet and choice viewing; it's immoral to broadcast something like that on public TV.

FFS man.

THE STEREOTYPE: In AMERICA, the stereotype is that AFRICAN AMERICANS eat a lot of chicken.

THE AD: In AUSTRALIA, a man offers a bunch of WEST INDIANS some chicken so that they will be friends with him.

The ad had nothing to do with the U.S. stereotype. It is an ad based on cricket, the national game which KFC happens to sponsor. West Indies is a team Australia verses often. Most Australians don't even know about the African American stereotype, and those who do couldn't give two sh*ts. Why on earth would KFC play to a stereotype nobody in the viewing audience knows or cares about?

Citation need. I'm sorry but I doubt that very much, the sterotype is know all over the world. (non-literal)
'sup DDO -- july 2013