Jump to topic:

The Old Man and the Sea

studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 3:38:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
In English class today, my teacher asked the class two questions that stumped us all:

"What is Hemingway's purpose of using Christ Imagery to depict Santiago? Why does Hemingway use it in the novel?"

I've been thinking about this, and I have no idea. Would anyone care to share an explanation?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 3:47:18 PM
This goes in Education.

We were supposed to read that Freshman year, but we never got around to it. Can't help you.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 3:53:04 PM
At 1/7/2010 3:47:18 PM, wjmelements wrote:
This goes in Education.

Thanks PoeJoe.

I found this in the Wiki article for the book:

"Waldmeir was one of the most prominent critics to wholly consider the function of the novella's Christian imagery, made most evident through Santiago's blatant reference to the crucifixion following his sighting of the sharks that reads:

"‘Ay,′ he said aloud. There is no translation for this word and perhaps it is just a noise such as a man might make, involuntarily, feeling the nail go through his hands and into the wood."
Waldmeir's analysis of this line, supplemented with other instances of similar symbolism, caused him to claim that The Old Man and the Sea was a seminal work in raising Hemingway's "philosophy of Manhood" to a religious level.[4] This hallmark criticism stands as one of the most durable, positive treatments of the novella."

You may want to head to the library and track Waldmeir's book down. It is:

Joseph Waldmeir (1957). "Confiteor Hominem: Ernest Hemingway's Religion of Man". Papers of the Michigan Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters XLII: 349–356.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 3:55:16 PM
http://www.123helpme.com...

http://www.essaydepot.com...

There are a few more you could sift through if you google "old man and the sea christ".

This sounds like a good book.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 4:45:12 PM
At 1/7/2010 3:53:04 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
This goes in Education.

Thanks PoeJoe.

I haven't done anything like that in close to a year now. :P
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 5:09:16 PM
At 1/7/2010 4:45:12 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 1/7/2010 3:53:04 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
This goes in Education.

Thanks PoeJoe.

I haven't done anything like that in close to a year now. :P

Lol yeah, just joking.

Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 6:48:43 PM
Christ imagery to show his faith, I suppose it gives you a general idea on his morals and the whole "epic battle of good and evil between him and the fish"; I suppose it helps to emphasize the dramatic battle between them two as something godly. I also suppose that in the past their was a high Christian population, well more than now anyway, so it would make sense to include some form of the faith
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 12:37:12 AM
Many years since I've read Hemingway. The sailors stories mimics Christs in several ways, at a guess endurance through suffering, or enlightenment through suffering. Remember, Hemingway was a troubled man, the story is a type of tribute to the man he was.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 12:53:18 AM
Christ imagery to show his faith, I suppose it gives you a general idea on his morals and the whole "epic battle of good and evil between him and the fish

Nope. Hemingway was a moral hedonist. What felt good was right, what felt bad was wrong.