Jump to topic:

Some Policy aspects of LD

oceanix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 4:45:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Where I live, using any of the policy aspects of LD is generally very discouraged, so I don't really have a place to learn about them. Could anyone offer a few hints on what they are and how to use them? I've heard a few names but haven't really been able to figure out what they mean, i.e. shell, K, CP, parametrics.

Thank you.
Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 4:55:27 PM
How is policy like LD in anyway?

Policy is what we "Should" do.

LD is what we "ought" to do.

Ex: Let's say we're in the desert, I have a bottle of water, you are about to die of thirst.

I "ought" to give you the water because it is morally correct. I "should" keep the water, because I get to live much longer with the water.

Seriously, LD and Policy are not meant to be inter-mingled >.>
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 4:56:45 PM
At 1/11/2010 4:55:27 PM, Sky_ace25 wrote:

Ex: Let's say we're in the desert, I have a bottle of water, you are about to die of thirst.

I "ought" to give you the water because it is morally correct. I "should" keep the water, because I get to live much longer with the water.

So, basically, LD = philosophy; Policy = Application to real life.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 4:57:52 PM
At 1/11/2010 4:56:45 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

So, basically, LD = philosophy; Policy = Application to real life.

Bingo.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 5:36:33 PM

In a perfect world, you are correct. However, with resolutions such as the current one, policy aspects are impossible to avoid

At 1/11/2010 4:45:03 PM, oceanix wrote:
Where I live, using any of the policy aspects of LD is generally very discouraged, so I don't really have a place to learn about them. Could anyone offer a few hints on what they are and how to use them? I've heard a few names but haven't really been able to figure out what they mean, i.e. shell, K, CP, parametrics.

Thank you.

Shell- just organization; the shell of an LD case might be
Value
Value Criterion
Definitions
Def 1
Def 2 (etc)
Observations
Obv 1
Obv 2 (Etc)
Contention 1
Sub point A
Sub point B

and so on and so forth, just as a DA shell would be
Uniqueness
Link
Internal Link
Impact

K- stands for the German word Kritik; a type of argument that challenges a certain mindset, assumption, or discursive element that is in the opponents argument For example, a Feminism K on the current L-D topic might argue that because violence cannot be solved as long as international relations are male dominated

CP- Counter-plan; just what it sounds like, a counter advocacy to the plan made; in CX the aff makes the plan, but due to the wording of the L-D resolution, the aff would be making a counter-plan Ex. Instead of economic sanctions, lets remove our embassy from the target country, all out war, etc.

parametrics: I have not heard of this term (or if I have its been under a different name)
oceanix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 6:24:58 PM
Thanks. I wasn't quite sure what to do when I saw these at a tournament last weekend. I only heard some people talking about parametrics; I didn't actually encounter it.
Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 6:36:33 PM
Sports Guru,

The current topic "seems" like policy, but the thing most people do not understand is that this topic applies to no single nation. For all intended purposes we are debating if Atlantis came out of the ocean should it use economic sanctions.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 7:05:46 PM
At 1/11/2010 6:36:33 PM, Sky_ace25 wrote:
Sports Guru,

The current topic "seems" like policy, but the thing most people do not understand is that this topic applies to no single nation. For all intended purposes we are debating if Atlantis came out of the ocean should it use economic sanctions.

I completly understand this, and the lack of referring to a nation takes out any nation-specific cards that are in CX tubs. However, the merits of the policy of economic sanctions are still whats being debated and this includes the "policy" side of it.

Now, certainly it is not difficult to go the traditional L-D route on the resolution, but the policy side just as easy to take sides on.
ToastOfDestiny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 7:42:37 PM
However, it is easy to run analysis stating that we should synthesize the results of current sanctions into a ballot i.e. we need to look not only to one case but to the holistic impact of sanctions.
At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
Our demise and industrial destruction
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Only exists in your head, as already shown.

At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
reveal why you answer with a question mark
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Because it was a question.

RFDs Pl0x:
http://www.debate.org...
Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 8:28:23 PM
At 1/11/2010 7:42:37 PM, ToastOfDestiny wrote:
However, it is easy to run analysis stating that we should synthesize the results of current sanctions into a ballot i.e. we need to look not only to one case but to the holistic impact of sanctions.

Yah, but that is pointless. Their are always examples that will both Affirm and Negate the resolution which is why you don't want to get into a pointless debate over how "my side has most examples and his/her's doesn't". Further more the policy issue of this debate is not even meant to be taken into consideration. The main point is the moral reasons behind using economic sanctions. The foreign policy doesn't necessarily matter; I mean obviously it will not be domestic policy! The main point is that should a country prioritize its own well-being over that of another country. That's what I think is the whole point of this resolution.
bambiii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 8:31:57 PM
At 1/11/2010 4:45:03 PM, oceanix wrote:

Thank you.

dont mix policy and LD
they are two different debates for a reason.
<3We say what we feel then we stop ourselves and just walk away.<3
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 8:39:19 PM
I completely agree. LD was created to avoid what policy was becoming; the last thing you want to do is integrate policy tactics into LD, as that essentially spits in the face of the activity's purpose; there are consequences for this, especially stylistic ones.

It can often go from this (LD Finals at ToC in 2007): http://video.google.com...#

to this (LD Finals at Harker Invtl 2009): http://video.google.com...
oceanix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 5:44:17 AM
I'm aware of the fact that LD and Policy are different debates, and I'm fine with that. However, I'd just like to know what some of these things are, given I'm hitting some of them at tournaments.