Jump to topic:

Vacations?

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 11:57:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What some of the greatest vacations that you have had with your family?

Where did you go?

How old were you?

If you had your choice of places in the United States.

Fav east coast destination and west coast?

Fav beaches?

My kids are 2 and 4, i am thinking Phily, around Independence Mall.
But it is just a thought.

Disney World did come up but we thought that they would like it more when they are a year older.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 2:56:38 AM
At 1/12/2010 11:57:51 PM, comoncents wrote:

Where did you go?

How old were you?

Fav beaches?

Disney World did come up but we thought that they would like it more when they are a year older.

I suppose having such young children limits your choice. Wherever you go needs to be family friendly. I would suggest a resort that has organised kids activities during the day and evening so you can abandon them there and go out and have fun yourselves!

I know of such a place in southern France set amongst lakes and mountains and rivers and medieval towns and villages. Most of the kids at the resort tend to be either French, Dutch or German but the staff all speak pretty good English. There is a great swimming pool with slides and a river runs through the site which is safe to swim in and the kid's disco is brilliant fun (I took my 5-year old niece and she was the star of the show doing the karaoke!)

I will give you the details if you are interested.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 7:26:57 AM
Comon - You're definitely right to wait until the kids are a bit older to appreciate Disney World. I went with my younger siblings when they were small and they didn't get it at all. Plus, some of the attractions (Epcot especially) are actually for older kids... believe it or not, the vacation can actually be educational lol except for Magic Kingdom of course which will be your daughter's favorite :)

Anyway I'd say if your kids are going to be there and they're a focal point of this trip, then you're either going to have to settle for going someplace super kid-friendly or try your best to find a balance of interesting places for you and them. I don't know how kid-friendly Philly is. It's educational but obviously they'll be too young to understand it. Have you thought about Hershey Park? It's also in Pennsylvania -- A big amusement park but they have other stuff too.

Hmm.
President of DDO
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 7:50:47 AM
Out West (2 week tour), Cancun(30 - 40 miles below it as it was cheaper), Coast of California (1 week flew in then drove up coast in rental) followed by 1 week cruise around alaska(alaska is beautiful), Hawaii(2 weeks hopped all islands), Niagra Falls, Florida (once for disney world, once for the gulf shore)

How old were you?
11 Niagra Falls, 12 when at disney world, 14 out west, 16 Cancun, 17 Florida Gulf, 18 Coast of California + Alaska, 20 Hawaii

Depends on the age of the kids, for young I'd say Niagra falls or the beach

East coast - Cape May West Coast - Coast of California and Alaska

Fav beaches?
Cape may fo sho or cancun.

They won't appreciate that, take them to the beach where they can have fun with the sand. Younger kids love that kind of stuff. Wait until they're at least 7 and 9 if not 9 and 11 for disney world, 13 and 15 for Philly(it's historic they won't appreciate that until later)
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 8:00:24 AM

Where did you go?

How old were you?

Fav beaches?

Universal studios. By far the most entertaining. I dont exactly remember the specifics, as my childhood is farely fuzzy, but i remember the jurassic park ride, and it was fun. :D
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 8:58:27 AM
At 1/13/2010 7:26:57 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Comon - You're definitely right to wait until the kids are a bit older to appreciate Disney World. I went with my younger siblings when they were small and they didn't get it at all. Plus, some of the attractions (Epcot especially) are actually for older kids... believe it or not, the vacation can actually be educational lol except for Magic Kingdom of course which will be your daughter's favorite :)

Yeah, that is what i will do than, wait.

Anyway I'd say if your kids are going to be there and they're a focal point of this trip, then you're either going to have to settle for going someplace super kid-friendly or try your best to find a balance of interesting places for you and them. I don't know how kid-friendly Philly is. It's educational but obviously they'll be too young to understand it. Have you thought about Hershey Park? It's also in Pennsylvania -- A big amusement park but they have other stuff too.

Hmm.

We are already going to a resort at myrtle beach so i want to do something different.

I thought of DC but i do not feel that that would be a trip i want to make more than 2 times. So if we do it know and than the kids grow up wanting to see it, i will not enjoy it as much.

I thought Philly B/c it would be something i would do more than once (since i love the constitution and declaration, and it is what shapes my politics).

But Hershey Park sounds great. I hate to admit it but that is my little girl's fav chocolate. (as a chef this is so embarrassing, but i love her no matter what)
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 10:32:15 AM
At 1/13/2010 9:00:53 AM, comoncents wrote:
At 1/13/2010 2:56:38 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

I will give you the details if you are interested.

Where is it?

In a village called Pont-de-Poitte which is located between Geneva and Dijon (nearest international airports Geneva and Lyons or fly to Paris and hire a car and drive about 460km / 285 miles / 4 1/2 hours non-stop from there).
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 10:42:39 AM
This year my vacation looks doubtful - My father and sister are going on separate vacations on both prefer me not to be there. I wouldn't go with my Dad anyhow but woudl go with my sister.

Anyway, my first foreign holiday was Majorca in Spain. Super tourist and Britified mind you. I was supposed to visit cousins i America when I was 8 but due to my Mothers sickness it didn't happen sadly. After she passed away I've been to Lake Garda in Italy 3 times (Beautiful place, touristy-ish and a balance of educational [Salo republic HQ anyone?] and holiday fun [Theme park called Gardaland].

I've also been to Orlando, Florida twice. It's really touristy now and full of British people. Also, I've been to Chicago (Great if not windy) and California (meh, it was just me and my d so sucked from that aspect).

I've also been to many football matches in England.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 10:47:01 AM
At 1/13/2010 10:42:39 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Ever been to SundIreland? If not you should be patriotic and visit because we are owned by an Irishman (Niall Quinn) and until recently were managed by one too (Roy Keane).
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 11:48:42 AM
At 1/13/2010 9:00:05 AM, comoncents wrote:
@Frodobaggins

you seem to have had a great stint of vacations.

I have been really lucky with that, my parents love traveling. For kids I'd recommend Hershey Park or the beach probably the beach, at 2 and 4 hershey park can be a headache. Try Knobles Grove in PA, its more quite with a lot of shady(meaning out of the sun) benches and more rides for kids.

I live in PA and have been to both Hershey and Knobles. But honestly I love Cape May, lots of shopping, nice restaurants, tons of mini-golf, clean shore, and there is a stand called Franks hot dogs, ridiculously good hot dogs and frozen cokes
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 11:52:58 AM
At 1/13/2010 10:47:01 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 1/13/2010 10:42:39 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Ever been to SundIreland? If not you should be patriotic and visit because we are owned by an Irishman (Niall Quinn) and until recently were managed by one too (Roy Keane).

I lost interest by then (About 11 or 12) but have regained interest since. I've seen:

Manchester United Vs. Bolton (Opening season game, 4 - 0 to Man. United)
Tottenham vs. Bolton ( 0 -2 to Bolton)
Leeds vs. Bolton (Forget)
Liverpool vs. Tottenham (0-0)

I've seen another United game, against who I'm unsure.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 11:58:46 AM
Compared to some of you people, I haven't traveled much. That's one of my main goals in life too. I love experiencing other cultures and I want to see the world. Plus, I want to see the historical sites I'm always reading about in books and such.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 10:02:40 PM
We decided a week in
Philadelphia's Independence Mall=

City Food Tours Philadelphia
City Food Tours takes you beyond the Liberty Bell with a fun and unique way to experience the city! Go behind the scenes and get intimate with your favorite foods!

Independence Hall
Both the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution were signed in this historic building.

Congress Hall
Home of the United States Congress when Philadelphia served as the nation's capital from 1790 to 1800.
Liberty Bell Center
Though it can no longer be rung, the bell remains a lasting American symbol of freedom.

Betsy Ross House

Historic Georgian-style home where the first American flag was made pays tribute to the creator of the Stars and Stripes.

Independence National Historical Park
One of the most famous square miles in the United States, the park is home to the Liberty Bell, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and Independence Hall.

National Constitution Center
The National Constitution Center in historic Philadelphia is America's most interactive history museum. Located just two blocks from the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, it is the only museum devoted to the U.S. Constitution and the story of we, the people.

Philadelphia Zoo
America's oldest zoo opened in 1874, and today houses more than 1,600 animals from around the world.

And Benjamin Franklin's home and grave

Than a weekend in Hershey, Pa.

5 days at myrtle beach.

Than 5 more days at myrtle beach.

All split up but still.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 10:36:37 PM
Also:

LIBERTY BELL and INDEPENDENCE HALL
I know these may seem like the more dry and historical stops on a tour of Philadelphia. However, the welcome center is very friendly and features volunteers in period costume greeting the kids. Your kids will get a kick out of the bell if the line isn't too long. Outside Independence Hall, kids can join a mini-Continental Army and march around the courtyard with wooden muskets.

STORYTELLING BENCHES
All over downtown Philadelphia, storytellers ring large bells to call kids to the round benches. They tell interesting historical stories, and the kids can collect 13 stars for their flag.

FRANKLIN SQUARE
We really enjoyed this park, which is a few blocks north of the Liberty Bell. In addition to the large playground, kids can ride a carousel or play a mini-golf course based on the landmarks of Philadelphia. Franklin Square also has a storytelling bench and a giant fountain.

BEN FRANKLIN and BETSY ROSS HOUSES
Ben Franklin's house features a cool underground museum devoted to his life. You can even play the "Armonica," a musical instrument Franklin invented. Above ground, you can see the floorplan and frame of Franklin's house, as well as the nation's first post office, which was run by Franklin. You can also visit Betsy Ross' house. Make sure you get to meet Ben and Betsy, as the actors are great with kids and bring their stories to life.

SESAME PLACE
In nearby Langhorne, you can visit an amusement park based on the Sesame Street characters. While the park has too many water rides and not enough kids rides, your child will love taking pictures with Elmo, Zoe and Cookie Monster. The shows and parades are a lot of fun, too.
THE JERSEY SHORE

We stayed at a hotel in New Jersey, so we were just a short drive from the boardwalk in Ocean City, N.J. That was another great time. Our daughter loved playing on the beach, and there were tons of shopping and food choices. The boardwalk also featured an amusement park and four miniature golf courses. The best part of about Ocean City is that it doesn't close at 5 p.m. In fact, that's when the musicians and karaoke get going. We finally headed back at around 10 p.m., but the fun was still going.

SMITH PLAYGROUND and PLAYHOUSE
When you're on vacation with a little one, don't forget that they would like to stop sightseeing from time to time. Smith Playground and Playhouse are huge areas where kids can have a good time. The playground has a lot of equipment that you don't see at your local park, like a giant spider web made of ropes, and a huge old-fashioned wooden slide. Just make sure you get good directions and check the times they are open so your kids get a good amount of time to play.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 2:44:36 AM
At 1/13/2010 11:58:46 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Compared to some of you people, I haven't traveled much. That's one of my main goals in life too. I love experiencing other cultures and I want to see the world. Plus, I want to see the historical sites I'm always reading about in books and such.

I'm in the travel game and one of the favourite aspects of my job is reading about something historical and then devising, researching, contracting and finally marketing a tour or expedition based on that subject.

For example, my latest product is The Silk Road Expeditions - an overland 4x4 safari following the ancient trade routes from Istanbul, Turkey to Xi'an, China (and visa versa) which takes us through such fabled cities as Bukhara, Samarqand, Kashgar and Dunhuang with the route skirting the Himalayas and the Gobi Desert.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 3:40:05 PM
Keep the following axe everything I deleted. That's my opinion. Kids won't understand the liberty bell, constitution or independence hall.

City Food Tours Philadelphia
City Food Tours takes you beyond the Liberty Bell with a fun and unique way to experience the city! Go behind the scenes and get intimate with your favorite foods!

Philadelphia Zoo
America's oldest zoo opened in 1874, and today houses more than 1,600 animals from around the world.

Than a weekend in Hershey, Pa.

5 days at myrtle beach.

Than 5 more days at myrtle beach.

STORYTELLING BENCHES
All over downtown Philadelphia, storytellers ring large bells to call kids to the round benches. They tell interesting historical stories, and the kids can collect 13 stars for their flag.

FRANKLIN SQUARE
We really enjoyed this park, which is a few blocks north of the Liberty Bell. In addition to the large playground, kids can ride a carousel or play a mini-golf course based on the landmarks of Philadelphia. Franklin Square also has a storytelling bench and a giant fountain.

SESAME PLACE
In nearby Langhorne, you can visit an amusement park based on the Sesame Street characters. While the park has too many water rides and not enough kids rides, your child will love taking pictures with Elmo, Zoe and Cookie Monster. The shows and parades are a lot of fun, too.
THE JERSEY SHORE
We stayed at a hotel in New Jersey, so we were just a short drive from the boardwalk in Ocean City, N.J. That was another great time. Our daughter loved playing on the beach, and there were tons of shopping and food choices. The boardwalk also featured an amusement park and four miniature golf courses. The best part of about Ocean City is that it doesn't close at 5 p.m. In fact, that's when the musicians and karaoke get going. We finally headed back at around 10 p.m., but the fun was still going.

SMITH PLAYGROUND and PLAYHOUSE
When you're on vacation with a little one, don't forget that they would like to stop sightseeing from time to time. Smith Playground and Playhouse are huge areas where kids can have a good time. The playground has a lot of equipment that you don't see at your local park, like a giant spider web made of ropes, and a huge old-fashioned wooden slide. Just make sure you get good directions and check the times they are open so your kids get a good amount of time to play.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 4:38:23 PM
At 1/14/2010 3:29:58 PM, comoncents wrote:
@Frodobaggins

What do you think of my plan?

I think your kids are going to be bored to tears lol.

I've been to those places in Philly. Again, it really just depends what you want out of the vacation. If it's about you and your interests (history, etc.) then your plan sounds amazing. If it's for your kids, a place like Hershey Park or Disney World would be ideal. If it's a family vacation and you all should be having fun, then I'm just not sure your kids would be interested in seeing The Liberty Bell.

I mean think about what you're saying: You don't want to take them to Disney because they wouldn't appreciate it, but you think they'd appreciate where the Constitution was signed? Haha it seems a little odd, is all. Then again I don't know your kids and I do believe in exposing kids to cool and historical things from a young age. It's really up to you. I would suggest a Cape May type of vacation like Frodo mentioned, but you did say that you plan on going to Myrtle Beach which seems to be the same type of thing.

Also - Are you going in the winter? Do you want to go someplace warm? What are your vacation priorities or preferences?
President of DDO