Jump to topic:

Polls: Are they truly accurate?

Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 10:20:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It seems to me that the polls on DDO may need to be reformed. This is because the most chosen answer is always at the top. I would think that people would more likely to choose the first answer they see, then to answer truthfully. Much like advertising, the most frequently clicked links are the ones that remain at the top of the page when searching through a search engine. This may lead to inaccurate answers.

What do you all think?
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 10:27:23 PM
http://www.debate.org...
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 10:27:46 PM
If polls were accurate, we would be about 1,000 years further in the future. I doubt polls are accurate... almost ever
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 1:19:33 AM
At 1/14/2014 10:20:35 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:
It seems to me that the polls on DDO may need to be reformed. This is because the most chosen answer is always at the top. I would think that people would more likely to choose the first answer they see, then to answer truthfully. Much like advertising, the most frequently clicked links are the ones that remain at the top of the page when searching through a search engine. This may lead to inaccurate answers.

What do you all think?

They are only capable of being accurate to the extent that they reflect the views of those who have responded. This in itself limits it's ability to accurately reflect anything other than that. Also as you mentioned there are viewer tendencies that skew the results. This would include the top choice as you suggested, but also things like the way a response is worded, and especially the picture chosen.

These polls aren't intended in any way to be scientific though. They are just a fun way to quickly view the opinions of those who happen to respond.
Debate.org Moderator
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 4:35:23 PM
Polls: Are they truly accurate? No. they are not worth the paper they are written on.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%