Jump to topic:

Google chrome keeps chrashing

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 9:22:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Not posting this in the technical forum, because it is rarely visited.

I am trying not to lose my mind. I just lost a huge portion of a very long drawn out argument I was making for my debate because chrome crashed on me, and when I rebooted it, my argument was gone.

I know I should of used a text editor and saved it there first, but I don't have word, and I like to use google docs (which is unfortunately online, so it doesn't fix the problem really).

Anyways, my google chrome crashed on me at least once or twice every couple of hours of use, for the past couple weeks.. This is starting to be a problem, and I am not 100% sure why it is happening. Any advice?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 9:36:47 AM
At 1/21/2014 9:22:47 AM, TUF wrote:

I am trying not to lose my mind. I just lost a huge portion of a very long drawn out argument I was making for my debate because chrome crashed on me, and when I rebooted it, my argument was gone.

I know I should of used a text editor and saved it there first, but I don't have word, and I like to use google docs (which is unfortunately online, so it doesn't fix the problem really).

Anyways, my google chrome crashed on me at least once or twice every couple of hours of use, for the past couple weeks.. This is starting to be a problem, and I am not 100% sure why it is happening. Any advice?

Yeah, try downloading FireFox because it much better and faster. I was told by a person who knows about computers that Chrome is proned to producing unwanted viruses and as you mentioned crashing.. So my advice is use FirFox or if you find another that is better go for it! Internet is not the best either the e symbol that is.. But do what you think is best. Sorry about your loss of what you had written out, but I'm sure all will work out in the long run. Best wishes! Hope this is helpful. :)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 9:50:36 AM

Chrome hasn't been crashing on me.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 10:06:07 AM
At 1/21/2014 9:50:36 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Same, though I agree with GCL that Firefox is better.
Ashton
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 10:13:35 AM
At 1/21/2014 9:50:36 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Well I figured it was something internal rather than universal.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 10:14:47 AM
If I can't figure out the problem with chrome, ill switch to the dark side and go with IE or firefox.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 10:17:31 AM

Is it only Chrome or do other web browsers do the same?
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 10:20:03 AM
I've had the same isaues with chrome, and it hunk it happens when maintenance is being performed on the site since I only experience it really really late in the day
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 10:21:37 AM
At 1/21/2014 10:17:31 AM, YYW wrote:

Just chrome. I went through the troubleshooting guide they had but none worked. I wondered if it was a virus or bad program, but I clean my computer weekly and there isn't a download I am not aware of or do not catch. I know it has something to do with my system because chrome works fine on my work computer.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 10:27:20 AM
At 1/21/2014 10:21:37 AM, TUF wrote:

Just chrome. I went through the troubleshooting guide they had but none worked. I wondered if it was a virus or bad program, but I clean my computer weekly and there isn't a download I am not aware of or do not catch. I know it has something to do with my system because chrome works fine on my work computer.

So, I know nothing about technology... but this might help:

You might try deleting chrome, and then re-installing it. It's probable that there's some sort of ad-on software that's gotten itself installed onto chrome that your system doesn't like or which has corrupted chrome itself on the computer that's giving you trouble.
Tsar of DDO
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 7:03:44 PM

Yeah it does. It saves every little edit you make automatically. Google Docs <3

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2014 5:58:10 AM
At 1/21/2014 10:27:20 AM, YYW wrote:

You might try deleting chrome, and then re-installing it. It's probable that there's some sort of ad-on software that's gotten itself installed onto chrome that your system doesn't like or which has corrupted chrome itself on the computer that's giving you trouble.

Cool ill do that when I get home. I was thinking of trying that.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2014 5:59:43 AM
At 1/21/2014 7:03:44 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

I guess you are right.

Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 3:14:16 PM
At 1/22/2014 5:59:43 AM, TUF wrote:
At 1/21/2014 7:03:44 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

I guess you are right.

Of course i am lol
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 2:34:16 AM

Tried it, didn't work. I am at a complete loss. I tried using internet explorer... I just can't. It's not the same. I don't have adblock, and I do not like the look or feel of IE haha.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 7:24:45 AM
At 1/24/2014 2:34:16 AM, TUF wrote:

Tried it, didn't work. I am at a complete loss. I tried using internet explorer... I just can't. It's not the same. I don't have adblock, and I do not like the look or feel of IE haha.

Hmmm.... idk beyond that. You might need more RAM or something.
Tsar of DDO
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 5:11:20 PM
At 1/24/2014 7:24:45 AM, YYW wrote:

I doubt that is the problem. I think I am just going to take it in to best buy to see if the geek squad can fix it.

Thanks for the suggestions though!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 5:20:04 PM
At 1/24/2014 5:11:20 PM, TUF wrote:

I doubt that is the problem. I think I am just going to take it in to best buy to see if the geek squad can fix it.

Good luck with that.
Tsar of DDO
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 5:33:39 PM

That is a terrible idea, dude. They are not generally competent.

Did you run an AVG scan?

Also, you can try installing chromIUM, which is the non-google OSS chrome.

I actually went through some rounds with my laptop, and at first I though it might be Chrome related, since Chrome on Linux is new (ChromIUM has been around for awhile, but there are differences (it wasn't Chrome. Still angry about what it actually was...regardless, I just delved into Chrome troubleshooting so it's on the tip of my brain)

Try disabling Flash...Flash is built into Chrome in a different way than other browsers now, because big G and Adobe are in bed together lately, and that can cause problems sometimes (incidentally, it's why I bothered installing Chrome rather than continuing to use Chromium, because it's NOT built into Chromium in the same way, and Linux and Flash don't always play nice).
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 5:49:05 PM
At 1/24/2014 5:33:39 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Did you run an AVG scan?

I actually went through some rounds with my laptop, and at first I though it might be Chrome related, since Chrome on Linux is new (ChromIUM has been around for awhile, but there are differences (it wasn't Chrome. Still angry about what it actually was...regardless, I just delved into Chrome troubleshooting so it's on the tip of my brain)

Try disabling Flash...Flash is built into Chrome in a different way than other browsers now, because big G and Adobe are in bed together lately, and that can cause problems sometimes (incidentally, it's why I bothered installing Chrome rather than continuing to use Chromium, because it's NOT built into Chromium in the same way, and Linux and Flash don't always play nice).

Might explain why my Youtube videos always go hay wire. Ill try it.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 5:55:28 PM

Did you run an AVG scan?

I erased it but I need it to watch youtube, so I am at a loss...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 6:00:00 PM
At 1/24/2014 5:55:28 PM, TUF wrote:

Did you run an AVG scan?

I erased it but I need it to watch youtube, so I am at a loss...

Well, if Chrome has stopped crashing with it not active, then you know what your problem is. Knowing is half the battle.

if you're running Win8:

http://www.howtogeek.com...

Should help.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 2:46:31 PM
After multiple attempts to fix chrome, I have finally decided to switch browsers. A friend introduced to me Opera, which is basically just as cool as chrome, and let's me install the same chrome add ons like ad block, google drive, etc.

If anyone is thinking of switching browsers, Opera is definitely a good choice, and seems better than firefox and IE in the look, feel, and performance.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 3:28:59 PM
At 1/27/2014 2:46:31 PM, TUF wrote:
After multiple attempts to fix chrome, I have finally decided to switch browsers. A friend introduced to me Opera, which is basically just as cool as chrome, and let's me install the same chrome add ons like ad block, google drive, etc.

If anyone is thinking of switching browsers, Opera is definitely a good choice, and seems better than firefox and IE in the look, feel, and performance.

Out of curiosity, did you try chromium at all?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 8:18:30 PM
At 1/27/2014 3:28:59 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I'll try it today and compare.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 12:41:25 AM
At 1/27/2014 8:18:30 PM, TUF wrote:

Did you ever try it?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 5:02:05 AM
At 1/30/2014 12:41:25 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Did you ever try it?

I actually just did. It's not bad actually, but unfortunately I have already got settled into the look and feel of opera, and may now be biased. I also already downloaded and installed a bunch of cool extensions for this browser as well. The add on page is amazing! Better even then (dare I say it) chrome.

Not that chromium fails in comparison at all in matters of performance.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 9:52:49 AM
At 1/30/2014 5:02:05 AM, TUF wrote:

Did you ever try it?

I actually just did. It's not bad actually, but unfortunately I have already got settled into the look and feel of opera, and may now be biased. I also already downloaded and installed a bunch of cool extensions for this browser as well. The add on page is amazing! Better even then (dare I say it) chrome.

Yeah, Opera's pretty sweet. The main thinking that holds me to Chrome right now is that whole built-in-flash thing, because Flash and Linux don't always get along, and having it "just work" (at least for now) is a pretty big tick in Chrome's favor.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 10:01:46 AM
At 1/30/2014 9:52:49 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Did you ever try it?

Yeah, Opera's pretty sweet. The main thinking that holds me to Chrome right now is that whole built-in-flash thing, because Flash and Linux don't always get along, and having it "just work" (at least for now) is a pretty big tick in Chrome's favor.

I found an extension for that in the opera web store lol
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 10:02:20 AM
At 1/30/2014 10:01:46 AM, TUF wrote:
At 1/30/2014 9:52:49 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Did you ever try it?

I found an extension for that in the opera web store lol

Really? Which one?