Jump to topic:

Democracy DDO, Q1Y1

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 8:24:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Alright, congrats to the Quantum party on your election win. Two people have withdrawn from the game and were replaced by people who signed up as replacements, so here is the current council that makes up decisions:

1 - ClassicRobert
2 - YYW
3 - Bsh1
4 - dtaylor971
5 - theta-pinch
6 - nightofthelivingcats
7 - EndarkenedRationalist
8 - SeventhProfessor
9 - donald.keller
10 - DudeStop, the greatest of all.
11 - MyDinosaurHands
12 - xXCryptoXx
13 - Josh_b
14 - Otaku
15 - Antidoter

Here is the state of the/your country:

=============================================================================

Basic overview:

Quarterly deficit is 89 billion
People who hate you the most are liberals, trade unionists, and parents

Problems to address (Apart from budget shortfall) :

- Mass antisocial behavior, which costs the government a billion dollars a year, increases crime, and pisses off conservatives a LOT

- Alcohol abuse, which costs the gov 48.2 billion a quarter (making it a HUGE problem), increases crime, and increases the cost of state health services

- Vigilante mobs, which also pisses off conservatives while decreasing tourism as well

- Internet crime, which annoys everyone, harms the GDP slightly, and increases crime slightly

- An asthma epidemic, which pisses off parents a LOT and decrease productivity

- Drug addiction, which is like the asthma problem but also increases crime

- Homelessness, which costs 240 million a quarter and really pisses off the poor, while also bothering liberals, middle income people, and increases crime

- A skills shortage, which really kills the GDP

- Significant Pollution Problem, which pisses off environmentalists, costs 12 billion a quarter, and contributes to the asthma issue

==========================================================================

Other useful information you should know:

Current popularity is 14%. People who like you the most are patriots, retired people, and state employees.

Top expenses are:

Military spending (232 billion, 18%)
State pensions (201 billion, 15.4%)
State schools (98 billion, 7.5%)
Health service (95.7 billion, 7.3%)
Space program (76.7 billion, 5.9%)
Road building (66.1 billion, 5.1%)
Rail subsidies (61.9 billion, 4.7%)
Science funding (50.1 billion, 3.8%)
And 50% other stuff

Income is
670 billion from the income tax (51%)
218 billion from the sales tax (16.7%)
148 billion (11.3%)
And 25% other stuff

===============================================================
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 8:32:56 PM
You guys on the council will now argue about what to address first. You can pursue any of the following options, but not all of them:

1) Address the budget deficit (by deciding what to cut and/or which taxes to raise)

2) Focus on reforming one of the other problems the country faces (If you agree to focus on a problem, I will provide info about what you can do to address it. If you decide that you should address the alcohol abuse problem for example, I will then give you info about what you can do to fix it

3) Focus on improving relations with one of the voter groups who really dont like you and are most likely to try to assassinate you (I would then give options of how you can do so, there will be many to choose from and you can carry out many of them in a single turn too)

4) Focus exclusively on improving the GDP (I will again give possible actions of how you can do this)

5) Do nothing, and then save up your political capital (the equivalent of currency in the game) to do something absolutely crazy in the next quarter.... Such as changing gun control laws, abortion laws, legalizing stem cell research, creating a new tax like a CO2 tax or a Mansion tax, etc. (You will likely not be able to do this until much later in the game if you decide to not go for it the first time)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:08:54 PM
I'm for either option 1 or 2. If we address a problem, I say we try the pollution problem, as it would kill two birds with one stone (asthma, pollution.) If not, we should try alcohol abuse.

Damn... forgot what option two was. Hold on...
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:09:56 PM
Oh wait, I just described option two. Option one, address the budget,is pretty self-explanatory, as it would put us in a better spot and we could increase morale in the public by setting better taxes.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:21:25 PM
We should cut military spending by 1/4, and split it between education and police force.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
OtakuJordan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:22:19 PM
At 1/29/2014 9:08:54 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

I'm for either option 1 or 2. If we address a problem, I say we try the pollution problem, as it would kill two birds with one stone (asthma, pollution.) If not, we should try alcohol abuse.

Is it possible to research the link between pollution and asthma and find how closely the two are actually connected?

Also, is this the official thread that gameplay will take place in?
"Most of the coldness in the world is actually just people teaching lessons about the coldness in the world. And it does not remove blame from the people cranking the AC." -Ore_Ele

"You see, Adam never spoke about theology. He just had sex with Eve and died." -1970vu
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:23:14 PM
At 1/29/2014 9:21:25 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
We should cut military spending by 1/4, and split it between education and police force.

A fourth may be too excessive. Maybe a sixth would be better, but I do agree the millitary budget needs to be split between other less-thriving parts of our country.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:24:33 PM
At 1/29/2014 9:22:19 PM, OtakuJordan wrote:

Is it possible to research the link between pollution and asthma and find how closely the two are actually connected?

I think it is the official thread, unless Ima says otherwise.

The two may be either very closely related or not even related (though that would be implausible) but my best guess is that they are related to a point that reducing the pollution would easily decrease asthma.
OtakuJordan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:28:58 PM
At 1/29/2014 9:24:33 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

The two may be either very closely related or not even related (though that would be implausible) but my best guess is that they are related to a point that reducing the pollution would easily decrease asthma.

But, again, is it possible to research it?

Also, do we have an idea of how much money we would have to spend to have a significant impact on the pollution problem?
"Most of the coldness in the world is actually just people teaching lessons about the coldness in the world. And it does not remove blame from the people cranking the AC." -Ore_Ele

"You see, Adam never spoke about theology. He just had sex with Eve and died." -1970vu
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:30:25 PM
At 1/29/2014 9:28:58 PM, OtakuJordan wrote:

Also, do we have an idea of how much money we would have to spend to have a significant impact on the pollution problem?

Yes, look at NRDC's article: http://www.nrdc.org...

I don't quite have a number in mind of how much money it would cost to successfully decrease pollution, but ask someone else and they'd know.
OtakuJordan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:32:24 PM
At 1/29/2014 9:30:25 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

I don't quite have a number in mind of how much money it would cost to successfully decrease pollution, but ask someone else and they'd know.

Ah, so real-world statistics and figures apply to this game? I thought it was a made-up world of sorts.

dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:33:21 PM
At 1/29/2014 9:32:24 PM, OtakuJordan wrote:

Ah, so real-world statistics and figures apply to this game? I thought it was a made-up world of sorts.

No, just setting an idea. Imabench makes everything up, I think.
OtakuJordan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:37:15 PM
At 1/29/2014 9:33:21 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
At 1/29/2014 9:32:24 PM, OtakuJordan wrote:

No, just setting an idea. Imabench makes everything up, I think.

I was asking if it's possible to do in-game research.

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:43:34 PM
At 1/29/2014 8:24:28 PM, imabench wrote:
Income is
148 billion (11.3%)
And 25% other stuff

Are these tax rates, or percentage of income?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:45:30 PM
At 1/29/2014 9:23:14 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

A fourth may be too excessive. Maybe a sixth would be better, but I do agree the millitary budget needs to be split between other less-thriving parts of our country.

As long as we address that ridiculously high military budget soon. The antisocial behavior may be more important at this point, as tourism will help us quite a bit.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:55:32 PM

The two are heavily connected.

Yep

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:57:27 PM

It depends on how far you are willing to go to fight it. You could actually make a CO2 tax and jack up pollution controls to really cut down on pollution while actually making a good amount of money, but that wont be enough to solve the problem, and a CO2 tax really craps on GDP.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:58:24 PM
At 1/29/2014 9:43:34 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 1/29/2014 8:24:28 PM, imabench wrote:
Income is
148 billion (11.3%)
And 25% other stuff

Are these tax rates, or percentage of income?

Percentage of income. The current income tax rate is 31% I believe.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:59:51 PM
At 1/29/2014 9:45:30 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

As long as we address that ridiculously high military budget soon. The antisocial behavior may be more important at this point, as tourism will help us quite a bit.

No it wont. Tourism plays a very, immensely small role in how your GDP does, and tourism goes to hell when the international economy nosedives, which it will do sooner or later.

dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 10:26:21 PM

I say we address the budgets first, or at least second or third.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 10:28:46 PM
At 1/29/2014 9:59:51 PM, imabench wrote:

No it wont. Tourism plays a very, immensely small role in how your GDP does, and tourism goes to hell when the international economy nosedives, which it will do sooner or later.

So tourism is something we should stay away from, or at least move it down to the latter part of our to-do list?
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 10:30:03 PM
At 1/29/2014 9:20:30 PM, DudeStop wrote:
Option 5.

Pursuing option 5 would likely destroy us, as we would have a deeper problem than the deep one we have now.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 10:36:18 PM
At 1/29/2014 10:28:46 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
At 1/29/2014 9:59:51 PM, imabench wrote:

So tourism is something we should stay away from, or at least move it down to the latter part of our to-do list?

I would put it at the very, very bottom of the to-do list.

DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 10:36:53 PM
At 1/29/2014 10:30:03 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
At 1/29/2014 9:20:30 PM, DudeStop wrote:
Option 5.

Pursuing option 5 would likely destroy us, as we would have a deeper problem than the deep one we have now.

I think it'd be pretty fun actually.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 10:39:10 PM
For the first turn, it'd be smart to do this (or as much of this as we can afford.)

1) Cute 30% off the Military. Patriots love us, we can afford it.

2) Set up heavy restrictions on Alcohol usage. Only allow weak alcoholic beverages and imposes a high tax on it. this will cub it, stopping a lot of crime and saving much of the economy. Alcohol greatly depletes productivity and causes a lot of crime, which also hurts productivity.

3) Ignore Education for one turn. Start up Technology Grants and a Space Program. Only give the space program half funding for right now.

We have many turns to make the people love us again, but we can't afford it without throwing some curve balls early on. This will boost the GDP and end alcoholism. Going down the list, how much of that can we do with current capital, President?
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 10:40:30 PM
At 1/29/2014 9:57:27 PM, imabench wrote:

It depends on how far you are willing to go to fight it. You could actually make a CO2 tax and jack up pollution controls to really cut down on pollution while actually making a good amount of money, but that wont be enough to solve the problem, and a CO2 tax really craps on GDP.

That costs a lot of Capital. How many turns of saving would we need? Which reminds me, how good are the Advisers?
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 10:40:50 PM
Ok guys im gonna start keeping tally of what people wanna do. To give your support behind an initiative, just leave your name under one of the options

1) Address the budget deficit by deciding what to cut and/or which taxes to raise
-

2) Focus on reforming one of the other problems the country faces I listed above
-

3) Focus on improving relations with one of the voter groups who really dont like you
-

4) Focus exclusively on improving GDP
-

5) Do nothing, and then save up your political capital to change something big such as gun control laws, abortion laws, etc.
-

dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 10:44:37 PM
At 1/29/2014 10:39:10 PM, donald.keller wrote:
For the first turn, it'd be smart to do this (or as much of this as we can afford.)

1) Cute 30% off the Military. Patriots love us, we can afford it.

Again, I believe it is affordable, but would be too much. We're talking about 1/3 of our military budget here. I'm going 20%, maybe 25% if you convince me.

2) Set up heavy restrictions on Alcohol usage. Only allow weak alcoholic beverages and imposes a high tax on it. this will cub it, stopping a lot of crime and saving much of the economy. Alcohol greatly depletes productivity and causes a lot of crime, which also hurts productivity.

Yep. Completely agree on this one, and I believe alcohol usage should be very high up, if not first, on out to do list.

3) Ignore Education for one turn. Start up Technology Grants and a Space Program. Only give the space program half funding for right now.

I'm not so sure about the education cuts. If the other people want to, we can probably work it out. Dangerous, though.

We have many turns to make the people love us again, but we can't afford it without throwing some curve balls early on. This will boost the GDP and end alcoholism. Going down the list, how much of that can we do with current capital, President?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 10:47:11 PM
At 1/29/2014 10:40:50 PM, imabench wrote:
Ok guys im gonna start keeping tally of what people wanna do. To give your support behind an initiative, just leave your name under one of the options

1) Address the budget deficit by deciding what to cut and/or which taxes to raise
-

2) Focus on reforming one of the other problems the country faces I listed above
-

3) Focus on improving relations with one of the voter groups who really dont like you
-

4) Focus exclusively on improving GDP
-

5) Do nothing, and then save up your political capital to change something big such as gun control laws, abortion laws, etc.
-

Budgetary changes could positively affect all the problems.