Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

App that increases reading speed

dylancatlow
Posts: 13,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 8:47:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://elitedaily.com...

I want this nowwwwww
"In case anyone hasn't noticed it, the West is in extremis. The undertaker is checking his watch at the foot of its bed, and there's a sinister kettle of croaking, money-feathered vultures on the roof."
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 11:37:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/6/2014 8:47:46 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
http://elitedaily.com...

I want this nowwwwww

Is this even possible?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
dylancatlow
Posts: 13,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 3:46:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Someone made an extension for chrome that does basically the same thing: https://chrome.google.com...
"In case anyone hasn't noticed it, the West is in extremis. The undertaker is checking his watch at the foot of its bed, and there's a sinister kettle of croaking, money-feathered vultures on the roof."
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 3:56:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/6/2014 1:48:55 PM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
At 3/6/2014 1:48:10 PM, STALIN wrote:
interesting

kansas fried chicken
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:04:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/6/2014 3:59:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Ach!!!
I can't even keep up with the 250 wpm. :(

That's way to fast.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
dylancatlow
Posts: 13,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:08:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The problem with the chrome app is that it doesn't slow down for a longer words, which makes it kinda useless :/
"In case anyone hasn't noticed it, the West is in extremis. The undertaker is checking his watch at the foot of its bed, and there's a sinister kettle of croaking, money-feathered vultures on the roof."
sadolite
Posts: 9,192
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:52:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Who remembers "Evelyn Woods speed reading course" Only $9.95 plus shipping and handling. ORDER NOW and get a second course free.
dylancatlow
Posts: 13,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 6:12:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Actually, I take it back. The chrome extension works pretty well, just takes some getting used to.
"In case anyone hasn't noticed it, the West is in extremis. The undertaker is checking his watch at the foot of its bed, and there's a sinister kettle of croaking, money-feathered vultures on the roof."
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 6:21:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/6/2014 3:59:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Ach!!!
I can't even keep up with the 250 wpm. :(

Don't think. Don't read. Just watch and comprehend.
Nolite Timere
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 8:19:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/6/2014 6:21:37 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 3/6/2014 3:59:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Ach!!!
I can't even keep up with the 250 wpm. :(

Don't think. Don't read. Just watch and comprehend.

Aren't you afraid of missing something?
It seems like skimming, which runs the danger of misunderstanding.
My work here is, finally, done.
dylancatlow
Posts: 13,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 8:32:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/7/2014 8:19:25 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/6/2014 6:21:37 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 3/6/2014 3:59:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Ach!!!
I can't even keep up with the 250 wpm. :(

Don't think. Don't read. Just watch and comprehend.

Aren't you afraid of missing something?
It seems like skimming, which runs the danger of misunderstanding.

It's not skimming. In fact, I get better comprehension with it than I do normally.
"In case anyone hasn't noticed it, the West is in extremis. The undertaker is checking his watch at the foot of its bed, and there's a sinister kettle of croaking, money-feathered vultures on the roof."
dylancatlow
Posts: 13,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 8:40:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
However, it's not ideal for reading dense works, because the app will just trudge on past complex ideas at the same rate, when normally you would have slowed down or reread.
"In case anyone hasn't noticed it, the West is in extremis. The undertaker is checking his watch at the foot of its bed, and there's a sinister kettle of croaking, money-feathered vultures on the roof."
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 8:40:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/7/2014 8:32:18 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 3/7/2014 8:19:25 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/6/2014 6:21:37 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 3/6/2014 3:59:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Ach!!!
I can't even keep up with the 250 wpm. :(

Don't think. Don't read. Just watch and comprehend.

Aren't you afraid of missing something?
It seems like skimming, which runs the danger of misunderstanding.

It's not skimming. In fact, I get better comprehension with it than I do normally.

Maybe it's a personal thing, then. I know I speak aloud (or mouth) each word when I read.
My work here is, finally, done.
dylancatlow
Posts: 13,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 8:49:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/7/2014 8:40:47 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/7/2014 8:32:18 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 3/7/2014 8:19:25 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/6/2014 6:21:37 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 3/6/2014 3:59:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Ach!!!
I can't even keep up with the 250 wpm. :(

Don't think. Don't read. Just watch and comprehend.

Aren't you afraid of missing something?
It seems like skimming, which runs the danger of misunderstanding.

It's not skimming. In fact, I get better comprehension with it than I do normally.

Maybe it's a personal thing, then. I know I speak aloud (or mouth) each word when I read.

You should try to get out of that habit. Subvocalication (what you're doing) impedes reading speed and comprehension, because everything is filtered through a process which is quite a bit slower than visual recognition. Listening to music can be a good way of silencing this voice.
"In case anyone hasn't noticed it, the West is in extremis. The undertaker is checking his watch at the foot of its bed, and there's a sinister kettle of croaking, money-feathered vultures on the roof."
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 8:54:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/7/2014 8:49:27 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 3/7/2014 8:40:47 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/7/2014 8:32:18 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 3/7/2014 8:19:25 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/6/2014 6:21:37 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 3/6/2014 3:59:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Ach!!!
I can't even keep up with the 250 wpm. :(

Don't think. Don't read. Just watch and comprehend.

Aren't you afraid of missing something?
It seems like skimming, which runs the danger of misunderstanding.

It's not skimming. In fact, I get better comprehension with it than I do normally.

Maybe it's a personal thing, then. I know I speak aloud (or mouth) each word when I read.

You should try to get out of that habit. Subvocalication (what you're doing) impedes reading speed and comprehension, because everything is filtered through a process which is quite a bit slower than visual recognition. Listening to music can be a good way of silencing this voice.

I think my comprehension is quite good, but, I completely agree with the slow reading speed.
I have a touch of dyslexia, self-diagnosed, and my eyes play tricks on me occasionally. By saying/mouthing the words, I assure they make sense. I also speak to myself aloud all the time. I don't do the inner-dialogue thing.
However, my short attention span may also be a factor, too. And listening to music would distract me.

Of course, if I actually read anything other than DDO and the occasional article, I would probably improve speed regardless.
My work here is, finally, done.
dylancatlow
Posts: 13,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 8:58:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/7/2014 8:54:45 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/7/2014 8:49:27 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 3/7/2014 8:40:47 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/7/2014 8:32:18 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 3/7/2014 8:19:25 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/6/2014 6:21:37 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 3/6/2014 3:59:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Ach!!!
I can't even keep up with the 250 wpm. :(

Don't think. Don't read. Just watch and comprehend.

Aren't you afraid of missing something?
It seems like skimming, which runs the danger of misunderstanding.

It's not skimming. In fact, I get better comprehension with it than I do normally.

Maybe it's a personal thing, then. I know I speak aloud (or mouth) each word when I read.

You should try to get out of that habit. Subvocalication (what you're doing) impedes reading speed and comprehension, because everything is filtered through a process which is quite a bit slower than visual recognition. Listening to music can be a good way of silencing this voice.

I think my comprehension is quite good, but, I completely agree with the slow reading speed.
I have a touch of dyslexia, self-diagnosed, and my eyes play tricks on me occasionally. By saying/mouthing the words, I assure they make sense. I also speak to myself aloud all the time. I don't do the inner-dialogue thing.
However, my short attention span may also be a factor, too. And listening to music would distract me.

Of course, if I actually read anything other than DDO and the occasional article, I would probably improve speed regardless.

Apparently, this app helps people with dyslexia and ADD the most. You might want to give it a try: https://chrome.google.com...
"In case anyone hasn't noticed it, the West is in extremis. The undertaker is checking his watch at the foot of its bed, and there's a sinister kettle of croaking, money-feathered vultures on the roof."