Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

Can you kill a person in close combat?

alkir2
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 10:53:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
What I mean is this: many people can pull the trigger and kill a person using a gun, but do you think you can kill someone with a knife, a club or with bare hands... (supposing, of course, that physically you are able to do this)
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 10:55:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Could I physically kill someone up close?

- No, I am not mentally prepared for that kind of personal death.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 2:59:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Yes. It is funny how quickly you adjust when watching life leave things. Even when most of them aren't even human, watching life slip away is eerie at first, but you do adjust, very quickly.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 3:05:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 2:59:38 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Yes. It is funny how quickly you adjust when watching life leave things. Even when most of them aren't even human, watching life slip away is eerie at first, but you do adjust, very quickly.

I guess that depends on the factors. As a pious person, I would find it......difficult.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Fanath
Posts: 830
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 3:46:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 3:05:38 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 3/19/2014 2:59:38 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Yes. It is funny how quickly you adjust when watching life leave things. Even when most of them aren't even human, watching life slip away is eerie at first, but you do adjust, very quickly.

I guess that depends on the factors. As a pious person, I would find it......difficult.

Aren't you the one who started a super communist army to slaughter everybody???
Dude... Stop...
dtaylor971
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 4:56:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Yeah, if I had a big knife and the guy was on his phone not paying attention...
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
sadolite
Posts: 8,833
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 7:47:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Start by killing a large animal at close range and watch it die. That will be a small taste of what it would be like to kill a human. 90% couldn't kill another human being even if being attacked. Me, I really don't know. They would have to be hurting my family to get me in that kind of mind set and rage.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 8:46:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I know I couldn't kill myself, which leads me to say no. There's millions of years of evolution telling every cell in your body to stop that, for the good of the species. We can't survive as a species if we're willing to walk up to our neighbors and stab them. It really takes a lot to overcome that. I would assume it takes even more to kill yourself (protecting your own genes and whatnot), but even so, killing someone of your own species in close combat is no small feat. It's an entirely different matter when you can't really see it happening, but you'll know damn well what you're doing when you're sticking a knife through someone's chest.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 8:57:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 7:47:48 PM, sadolite wrote:
Start by killing a large animal at close range and watch it die. That will be a small taste of what it would be like to kill a human. 90% couldn't kill another human being even if being attacked. Me, I really don't know. They would have to be hurting my family to get me in that kind of mind set and rage.

In 2010, over 3,200 people were murdered by a close proximity method (knife, blunt object, strangulation, etc), accounting for about 25% of all murders (this does not include fire arms that may have been used at point blank or close range). Now, the ratio for murders does not necessarily translate to the ratio of the general population, but I would bet that if push came to shove, more than 10% would be willing to kill to protect themselves. Granted, I'm sure that most would defend themselves until they got an opportunity to escape, thus likely resulting in the attacker not being killed, but I doubt that the would flinch much if the attacked was on them, they managed to get a knife and saw the attacker's gut right in front of them blocking their escape.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 9:00:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 8:46:39 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I know I couldn't kill myself, which leads me to say no. There's millions of years of evolution telling every cell in your body to stop that, for the good of the species. We can't survive as a species if we're willing to walk up to our neighbors and stab them. It really takes a lot to overcome that. I would assume it takes even more to kill yourself (protecting your own genes and whatnot), but even so, killing someone of your own species in close combat is no small feat. It's an entirely different matter when you can't really see it happening, but you'll know damn well what you're doing when you're sticking a knife through someone's chest.

Animals gladly kill other animals all the time, even their own species. From a genetic stand point, all others are competition for your genetic code being passed on, so their death is beneficial to you (from a "passing on your genes" stand point).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 9:17:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 9:00:40 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 3/19/2014 8:46:39 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I know I couldn't kill myself, which leads me to say no. There's millions of years of evolution telling every cell in your body to stop that, for the good of the species. We can't survive as a species if we're willing to walk up to our neighbors and stab them. It really takes a lot to overcome that. I would assume it takes even more to kill yourself (protecting your own genes and whatnot), but even so, killing someone of your own species in close combat is no small feat. It's an entirely different matter when you can't really see it happening, but you'll know damn well what you're doing when you're sticking a knife through someone's chest.

Animals gladly kill other animals all the time, even their own species. From a genetic stand point, all others are competition for your genetic code being passed on, so their death is beneficial to you (from a "passing on your genes" stand point).

Maybe. But if you kill members of your own species, but the opposite sex (assuming your species isn't asexual), that would make things more difficult. It also makes things more difficult if the girl/guy you want to have a child with with knows you're a mass murdering psycho.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 9:27:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 9:17:12 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:00:40 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 3/19/2014 8:46:39 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I know I couldn't kill myself, which leads me to say no. There's millions of years of evolution telling every cell in your body to stop that, for the good of the species. We can't survive as a species if we're willing to walk up to our neighbors and stab them. It really takes a lot to overcome that. I would assume it takes even more to kill yourself (protecting your own genes and whatnot), but even so, killing someone of your own species in close combat is no small feat. It's an entirely different matter when you can't really see it happening, but you'll know damn well what you're doing when you're sticking a knife through someone's chest.

Animals gladly kill other animals all the time, even their own species. From a genetic stand point, all others are competition for your genetic code being passed on, so their death is beneficial to you (from a "passing on your genes" stand point).

Maybe. But if you kill members of your own species, but the opposite sex (assuming your species isn't asexual), that would make things more difficult. It also makes things more difficult if the girl/guy you want to have a child with with knows you're a mass murdering psycho.

Well you don't go around telling people, lol.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 9:52:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 9:27:32 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:17:12 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 3/19/2014 9:00:40 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 3/19/2014 8:46:39 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I know I couldn't kill myself, which leads me to say no. There's millions of years of evolution telling every cell in your body to stop that, for the good of the species. We can't survive as a species if we're willing to walk up to our neighbors and stab them. It really takes a lot to overcome that. I would assume it takes even more to kill yourself (protecting your own genes and whatnot), but even so, killing someone of your own species in close combat is no small feat. It's an entirely different matter when you can't really see it happening, but you'll know damn well what you're doing when you're sticking a knife through someone's chest.

Animals gladly kill other animals all the time, even their own species. From a genetic stand point, all others are competition for your genetic code being passed on, so their death is beneficial to you (from a "passing on your genes" stand point).

Maybe. But if you kill members of your own species, but the opposite sex (assuming your species isn't asexual), that would make things more difficult. It also makes things more difficult if the girl/guy you want to have a child with with knows you're a mass murdering psycho.

Well you don't go around telling people, lol.

Oh. It would appear I've been doing things wrong...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 11:25:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Yeah. I tend to develop an eerie sort of sangfroid when I encounter a serious crisis, so it probably wouldn't bother me that much until after the fact. Plus I know where all of the right arteries and veins are, so with a knife and the element of surprise it wouldn't be that hard. Though I would probably go for a blow to the temple if I didn't have a knife available.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 11:37:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 11:25:27 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Yeah. I tend to develop an eerie sort of sangfroid when I encounter a serious crisis, so it probably wouldn't bother me that much until after the fact. Plus I know where all of the right arteries and veins are, so with a knife and the element of surprise it wouldn't be that hard. Though I would probably go for a blow to the temple if I didn't have a knife available.

The best start would be a hard shot to the trachea. If you cause that to collapse, your opponent literally cannot fight as they can't breathe. From there, you have the option of an easy escape or an easy kill.

If you are going for the kill, it is best to knock them on the ground (you can get on top to keep them pinned, shouldn't be too hard if they are not breathing well still), make sure their head is against the ground (doesn't really matter which part of the head is down) and beat away. With the head against the ground, it causes all the momentum of your hand to transfer into their head, causing significant more damage (though it will also cause more damage to your hand as well).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Linkish1O2
Posts: 2,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 7:13:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 11:37:30 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 3/19/2014 11:25:27 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Yeah. I tend to develop an eerie sort of sangfroid when I encounter a serious crisis, so it probably wouldn't bother me that much until after the fact. Plus I know where all of the right arteries and veins are, so with a knife and the element of surprise it wouldn't be that hard. Though I would probably go for a blow to the temple if I didn't have a knife available.

The best start would be a hard shot to the trachea. If you cause that to collapse, your opponent literally cannot fight as they can't breathe. From there, you have the option of an easy escape or an easy kill.

If you are going for the kill, it is best to knock them on the ground (you can get on top to keep them pinned, shouldn't be too hard if they are not breathing well still), make sure their head is against the ground (doesn't really matter which part of the head is down) and beat away. With the head against the ground, it causes all the momentum of your hand to transfer into their head, causing significant more damage (though it will also cause more damage to your hand as well).

much easier to get behind and use a blood choke for longer then needed, they should die within seconds.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
alkir2
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 7:43:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Well, for me killing a person is not that difficult... I've never really did it, but I nearly killed a man. I remember what I felt and I remember the look on the man's face. If he stayed and tried to defend himself, I would have killed him without a second thought. I felt as if I have no feelings left, but that he was afraid of me; no thoughts, but one: he is my enemy...
sadolite
Posts: 8,833
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 5:00:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 8:57:58 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 3/19/2014 7:47:48 PM, sadolite wrote:
Start by killing a large animal at close range and watch it die. That will be a small taste of what it would be like to kill a human. 90% couldn't kill another human being even if being attacked. Me, I really don't know. They would have to be hurting my family to get me in that kind of mind set and rage.

In 2010, over 3,200 people were murdered by a close proximity method (knife, blunt object, strangulation, etc), accounting for about 25% of all murders (this does not include fire arms that may have been used at point blank or close range). Now, the ratio for murders does not necessarily translate to the ratio of the general population, but I would bet that if push came to shove, more than 10% would be willing to kill to protect themselves. Granted, I'm sure that most would defend themselves until they got an opportunity to escape, thus likely resulting in the attacker not being killed, but I doubt that the would flinch much if the attacked was on them, they managed to get a knife and saw the attacker's gut right in front of them blocking their escape.

What ever you say.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 5:36:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 10:53:24 AM, alkir2 wrote:
What I mean is this: many people can pull the trigger and kill a person using a gun, but do you think you can kill someone with a knife, a club or with bare hands... (supposing, of course, that physically you are able to do this)

I'd like to think I couldn't.. but I think I probably could. I don't get upset very easily, but when I do I can be sortof brutal.

I've been thinking of going into the Marines for a while... still not sure.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 6:21:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 11:37:30 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 3/19/2014 11:25:27 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Yeah. I tend to develop an eerie sort of sangfroid when I encounter a serious crisis, so it probably wouldn't bother me that much until after the fact. Plus I know where all of the right arteries and veins are, so with a knife and the element of surprise it wouldn't be that hard. Though I would probably go for a blow to the temple if I didn't have a knife available.

The best start would be a hard shot to the trachea. If you cause that to collapse, your opponent literally cannot fight as they can't breathe. From there, you have the option of an easy escape or an easy kill.

If you are going for the kill, it is best to knock them on the ground (you can get on top to keep them pinned, shouldn't be too hard if they are not breathing well still), make sure their head is against the ground (doesn't really matter which part of the head is down) and beat away. With the head against the ground, it causes all the momentum of your hand to transfer into their head, causing significant more damage (though it will also cause more damage to your hand as well).

I'm a very slight person, so almost anyone would overpower me in a fight. If I would strike to kill, it would be from a position of ambush, and only if I was armed in such a way that the risk to my own person was absolutely minimized. Any chance of a one-on-one fight with an unknown opponent would cause me to retreat, so I would very seldom be put into a position to hit someone's trachea. My MO would probably be to inflict a penetrating head injury or damage a crucial blood vessel, then retreat to a safe position while exsanguination/cerebral hemorrhaging does the rest of the work for me. I would never attack someone empty-handed. But if someone is creeping around my house, where I know exactly which floorboards creak, and have access to a Clue-esque arsenal of potential murder weapons, I probably wouldn't have to.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 4:27:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2014 10:53:24 AM, alkir2 wrote:
What I mean is this: many people can pull the trigger and kill a person using a gun, but do you think you can kill someone with a knife, a club or with bare hands... (supposing, of course, that physically you are able to do this)

Oh yea...almost did it once or twice...ashamed to admit it but it's the truth..i'm usually harmless and will run away...but when i'm enraged, i get very brutal and will survive by any means necessary...
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 11:05:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/20/2014 7:43:37 AM, alkir2 wrote:
Well, for me killing a person is not that difficult... I've never really did it, but I nearly killed a man. I remember what I felt and I remember the look on the man's face. If he stayed and tried to defend himself, I would have killed him without a second thought. I felt as if I have no feelings left, but that he was afraid of me; no thoughts, but one: he is my enemy...

..I know the feeling all too well..when i was young, 1 of the other kids did something innocent and neither of us knew it would set me off...I found myself choking and drowning her...i still see that face full of fear and despair..begging for mercy..in it's last moments, realizing that life as she knew it was over...when i realized what i was doing, i broke my hold...i found it hard to forgive or even love myself ever since then...but it was an accident...
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 2:22:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/1/2015 11:05:10 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 3/20/2014 7:43:37 AM, alkir2 wrote:
Well, for me killing a person is not that difficult... I've never really did it, but I nearly killed a man. I remember what I felt and I remember the look on the man's face. If he stayed and tried to defend himself, I would have killed him without a second thought. I felt as if I have no feelings left, but that he was afraid of me; no thoughts, but one: he is my enemy...

..I know the feeling all too well..when i was young, 1 of the other kids did something innocent and neither of us knew it would set me off...I found myself choking and drowning her...i still see that face full of fear and despair..begging for mercy..in it's last moments, realizing that life as she knew it was over...when i realized what i was doing, i broke my hold...i found it hard to forgive or even love myself ever since then...but it was an accident...

Did she die?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 2:24:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/1/2015 2:22:41 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/1/2015 11:05:10 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 3/20/2014 7:43:37 AM, alkir2 wrote:
Well, for me killing a person is not that difficult... I've never really did it, but I nearly killed a man. I remember what I felt and I remember the look on the man's face. If he stayed and tried to defend himself, I would have killed him without a second thought. I felt as if I have no feelings left, but that he was afraid of me; no thoughts, but one: he is my enemy...

..I know the feeling all too well..when i was young, 1 of the other kids did something innocent and neither of us knew it would set me off...I found myself choking and drowning her...i still see that face full of fear and despair..begging for mercy..in it's last moments, realizing that life as she knew it was over...when i realized what i was doing, i broke my hold...i found it hard to forgive or even love myself ever since then...but it was an accident...

Did she die?

No thank God but it left both of us traumatized...
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 2:37:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
We talk, laugh, smile, and still hang out but there's always that tension and fear that if she crosses a line, i'll have another angry outburst and the same thing repeats itself...I'm very unpredictable...and i have to live with that fear everyday...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 7:16:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2014 10:53:24 AM, alkir2 wrote:
What I mean is this: many people can pull the trigger and kill a person using a gun, but do you think you can kill someone with a knife, a club or with bare hands... (supposing, of course, that physically you are able to do this)

I'd prefer to do it in close combat. It seems more honorable. Not only that, I'd certainly have no problem murdering somebody, not that it wouldn't cause me pain afterwords.