Jump to topic:

Security Deposit

douglasfunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 12:59:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
No lol I just wanted to see who else has ridiculous landlords who make up crap at the end of the year to get the money.

We had a 300 dollar security deposit

Our landlords charged us 600 (150 a piece) to paint the living room because there were "marks on the wall". Really none that I remember as I wiped down the wall.

I came back expecting to find the sistine chapel's ceiling retrofitted for our kitchen. Alas, I noticed absolutely no difference between the "marked" and "unmarked" wall nor understood how 600 = one extremely small kitching/living room.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 1:03:41 PM
Well, this is why you get an independent contractor to take a look over the apartment before you leave, as well as take pictures. That way, you can get expert testimony and proof to back up your claims to the return of a security deposit. I mean, did this landlord bring in anyone to look over?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 1:23:07 PM
I've rented many properties and only had one deposit returned to me.

In the past deposits in the UK were held by the landlord in good faith, as a result it was understood that in almost all cases the landlord would steal them.

Now the law is that the deposit is held by a third company, a case must be made for the deposit to be retained.

Now oddly enough the only deposit I have ever had returned to me was after the law was changed, but for some reason I allowed the paperwork to be done in such a way that my landlord/landlady were under no real obligation to do so.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 2:32:45 PM
My roommate hasn't received her security deposit back because her landlord had to "clean" her apartment.

Mind you, her apartment was spotless when she moved out. She also had to scrub that place down with her dad before she moved in, and the landlord is still being a douche.

Landlord owes her almost $2000 and it's been over 6 months since she's moved out. It couldn't cost $2000 to clean a one bedroom apartment....

Our landlords right now got $600 a pet out of us (because my girlfriend had 2 dogs at the time and my roommate had 2 cats). The justify it by saying they need to clean it for future tenants who might be allergic. How will it cost $2400 to do that? Landlords are ridiculous. One of the dogs and one of the cats are gone now, so we joked about getting half of it back lol.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.