What are your BEST debating (IRL) Tips?

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 9:16:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/29/2014 8:27:31 PM, Apotheosis wrote:
I want to get better at debating people IRL, what would be your best tips to me?

THANK YOU!

Have a good left hook. If you're getting beat, beat them with the left hook.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 10:37:11 PM
I want to get better at debating people IRL, what would be your best tips to me?

THANK YOU!

Like many things in life, you don't have to reinvent the wheel. Look at some of the best debators and best debates and see how they do things.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 11:29:36 PM

THANK YOU!

Practice and preparation. The more practice you get, the quicker you get with responses. The more preparation you have, the more validity your points will have.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 11:30:05 PM

THANK YOU!

Is this for just person to person debate, or competitive debate, with a high school or something?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 11:30:35 PM

THANK YOU!

Think about what you are going to say before you say it.
Tsar of DDO
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 11:50:40 AM
Don't disagree with your opponent on every single count, just the one that matters. If your opponent makes a side argument, you can respond with "yes, and that's great/wonderful, but..."
Apotheosis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 12:24:20 PM
@zmikecuber: Lol, good advice

@illegalcombatant: Will do, mind posting some links?

@Classicrobert: Person to person, mainly, but i am looking into joining a team. How do you go about citing sources when you debate person to person?

@YYM: TY.

@MassiveDump: Neat tip, i'll use that