Jump to topic:

Authors similar to Dan Brown?

nickthengineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2010 8:58:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I love Dan Brown's style of writing. The short chapters and fast paced plots especially. Anybody know of a similar author? Not necessarily all that freemasonry conspiracy theory holy grail topic, just the writing style. I've heard James Patterson is similar but he pops out another book like every 3 months which is faster than I could even read books that long, which makes me think that his books can't really be all that good. I personally suspect that he wrote some good quality stuff in his early days, developed a following, and them decided to be a sellout.

Anyways, anyone similar to Dan Brown?
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2010 9:11:20 PM
I've only read one Dan Brown novel (digital fortress), but I have acquired two different Dan Brown novels which I plan on reading sequentially very soon (Angels & Demons, Da Vinci code).

So I may be mistaken in my general idea of his novels (I read it maybe a year ago?). But have you read any Michael Crichton?

His novels are fast-paced and highly researched and educational (the plots often revolve around a really interesting scientific idea. You could almost call it sci-fi but not quite, since everything is meant to be completely accurate and realistic). His books are meant to keep the reader attent by constantly dealing out twists to the plot, which are usually about the nature of some scientific catastrophe that has befell the characters. And he seems to always kill-off all of the characters but for like 2 people for whatever reason.

Digital fortress seemed to have some similarities, I suppose.
bkelley211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2010 9:46:03 PM
You will probably love Angels & Demons and the Da Vinci Code.

Try reading Robert Ludlum, whose novels formed the basis of the Bourne series starring Matt Damon. Fast-paced and well-researched.
nickthengineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2010 10:26:59 PM
At 1/31/2010 9:46:03 PM, bkelley211 wrote:
You will probably love Angels & Demons and the Da Vinci Code.

Try reading Robert Ludlum, whose novels formed the basis of the Bourne series starring Matt Damon. Fast-paced and well-researched.

I read the bourne identity and about half of the bourne supremacy and got bored. I knew the books were very different from the movies but the movies are a thousand times better. I didn't much care for those books, although I haven't read anything else of ludlum's.
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)