Jump to topic:

Favorite Quotes

Value_LLL
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 8:44:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Here are some I like, of course I like some of these more than others. Here you go....

"There is nothing deep down inside us except what we have put there ourselves" - Richard Rorty

"I am not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door." - Kyle Chandler

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." - Albert Einstein

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten." - Tony Robbins

"My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best." - Winston Churchill

"I never maade one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking" - Albert Einstein

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison

"The greater damage for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it" - Michelangelo

"I went to a motivational training course once, a course of self-discovery, and I found out after a week that my fear - it was not a fear of not being accepted - was a very violent fear or failure." - Emmanuel Steward

"It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it." - Lou Holtz

"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain

"Risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing." - Leo Buscaglia

"I don't know who my grandfather was; I'm much more concerned to know what his grandson will be." - Abraham Lincoln

"A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others." - Ayn Rand

" Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Sorry ahead of time, I failed to check if there were any threads like this created prior. Most of these are motivational type quotes, because I have been going through some person stuff, so I have been referencing these. I have them hanging up at my desk at work actually.

What are some that you enjoy or find interesting?
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 1:40:09 PM
What are some that you enjoy or find interesting?

"The essence of life is the smile of round female bottoms, under the shadow of cosmic boredom." -- Guy de Maupassant

"Even on the most exalted throne in the world we are only sitting on our own bottom. " -- Michel De Montaigne

"If only it was as easy to banish hunger by rubbing the belly as it is to masturbate." -- Diogenes
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 5:12:23 PM
The Machiavelli quote is misattributed, it was Newt Gingrich who said that. It's not Machiavelli's style at all.

My favorites:

"The deep flood of time will roll over us; some few great men will raise their heads above it, and, though destined at the last to depart into the same realms of silence, will battle against oblivion and maintain their ground for long"
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

"Grasp the subject, the words will follow."
- Marcus Porcius Cato -

"Men are so thoughtless, nay, so mad, that some, through fear of death, force themselves to die."
- Epicurus -

"Death, therefore, the most awful of evils, is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not."
- Epicurus -

"The evil that is in the world almost always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack understanding."
- Albert Camus -

"But look at how soon we're all forgotten. The abyss of endless time that swallows it all. The emptiness of those applauding hands. The people who praise us; how capricious they are, how arbitrary."
- Marcus Aurelius -

"When we're deluded there's a world to escape. When we're aware, there's nothing to escape."
- Bodhidharma -

"As all those have shown who have discussed civil institutions, and as every history is full of examples, it is necessary to whoever arranges to found a Republic and establish laws in it, to presuppose that all men are bad and that they will use their malignity of mind every time they have the opportunity; and if such malignity is hidden for a time, it proceeds from the unknown reason that would not be known because the experience of the contrary had not been seen, but time, which is said to be the father of every truth, will cause it to be discovered."
- Niccolo Machiavelli -

"Remember that it is not he who reviles you or strikes you, who insults you, but it is your opinion about these things as being insulting"
- Epictetus -

"The tyrant grinds down his slaves and they don't turn against him, they crush those beneath them."
- Charlotte Bronte -

"Roper: So now you'd give the Devil benefit of law!
More: Yes. What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
Roper: I'd cut down every law in England to do that!
More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you - where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country's planted thick with laws from coast to coast - man's laws, not God's - and if you cut them down - and you're just the man to do it - d'you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake."
- Robert Bolt -

"Though all the winds of doctrine were let loose to play upon the earth, so Truth be in the field, we do injuriously, by licensing and prohibiting, to misdoubt her strength. Let her and Falsehood grapple; who ever knew Truth put to the worse, in a free and open encounter?"
- John Milton -

"No society in which these liberties are not, on the whole, respected, is free, whatever may be its form of government; and none is completely free in which they do not exist absolute and unqualified. The only freedom which deserves the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest."
- John Stuart Mill -

"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not."
- Eric Hoffer -

"Some writers have so confounded society with government, as to leave little or no distinction between them; whereas they are not only different, but have different origins. Society is produced by our wants, and government by our wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. The one encourages intercourse, the other creates distinctions. The first a patron, the last a punisher.

Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one; for when we suffer, or are exposed to the same miseries by a government, which we might expect in a country without government, our calamity is heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer."
- Thomas Paine -
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 8:02:02 PM
BY ME

Everyone is stupid. But some people are smarter so we see them as smart.
One does not simply celebrate their birthday every year, for your birthday is the day you are born and you are only born once and YOLO.
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 8:59:30 PM
At 4/7/2014 8:29:19 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/7/2014 5:12:23 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

These are amazing. Do you have any more?

I'm rereading a book right now, by Seneca, called Letters from a Stoic. It's a goldmine of both quotable lines and rich, involved material. He also ends each letter with a good quote, many of them from Epicurus. I highly recommend it.

Cicero is also great, combining wit with insight, as is Voltaire. And I believe I've already turned you on to the eminently quotable Hoffer.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Aravengeance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 9:28:01 PM
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
Aravengeance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 9:33:03 PM
Forgot one. "True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country." - Kurt Vonnegut
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 2:11:27 AM
"On a daily basis I consume enough drugs to sedate Manhattan, Long Island, and Queens for a month. I take Quaaludes 10-15 times a day for my "back pain", Adderall to stay focused, Xanax to take the edge off, pot to mellow me out, cocaine to wake me back up again, and morphine... Well, because it's awesome." - Jordan Belfort
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 7:41:42 AM
City on a Hill quote- JFK
"Retreat, Hell we just Got here"
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~