Jump to topic:

Instigator taking the Con position.

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 6:24:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
This annoys me. It's like they want to debate a topic but they are trying to escape having any share of the BOP. What's everyone's thoughts. Are these people just cowards?
Megalobrainiac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 6:41:27 AM
At 4/8/2014 6:24:07 AM, Wylted wrote:
This annoys me. It's like they want to debate a topic but they are trying to escape having any share of the BOP. What's everyone's thoughts. Are these people just cowards?

Some may say cowards, others may say strategists.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 7:11:30 AM
At 4/8/2014 6:41:27 AM, Megalobrainiac wrote:

We're all strategists.
Megalobrainiac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 7:14:08 AM
At 4/8/2014 7:11:30 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/8/2014 6:41:27 AM, Megalobrainiac wrote:

We're all strategists.

So why hate on someone for playing the game different to you?
Complicated_Mind
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 2:48:17 PM
Not necessarily cowards. It seems like a lot of people that do this are, for lack of a better word, noobs. They probably don't understand/know the concept of burden of proof, and don't understand how it matters whether the instigator is pro or con.

If they're experienced, however, then it could be for a variety of reasons, ranging from them not paying attention or not knowing how else to phrase the debate title, to them strategizing. Regardless, it doesn't really matter. If you and them want to debate each other bad enough you can have rearrangements to reset the debate where the instigator is pro.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 2:51:55 PM

Not necessarily.

Imagine I wanted to debate, say, the existence of God. I want the BoP to be on my opponent to justify god's existence, and I intend to demonstrate that he has no good reasons to affirm god's existence. If I want to have that debate, I can either wait for someone else to initiate it...or I can instigate it myself, take the Con position, and explain what I'm looking for in regards to an opponent.

I don't think that's always the case, of course--sometimes the resolution seems so biased to Con that it more seems like an Admiral Ackbar situation (it's a trap!) with the hope that the person accepting it won't notice they're actually Pro.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!