Jump to topic:

Life takes strange turns

IamPlato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 8:00:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The truth of the matter is at this precise moment a universal "battle of the wills" is going on. And if you happen to be one who is insisting on having your "own will" then your world is the way it is, because it's the world you have, in a sense, asked for

Remember the story of Adam and Eve? God instructed them to only eat from the Tree of Life, and not partake of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil? So what did they do? They ate the forbidden fruit in spite of His warning. They "willfully" partook of that fruit with the idea that they could ignore what He said and strike out on a life apart from Him.

Adam and Eve figured that they could become like God...without God! They were of the notion that there was something more valuable in existence than God himself, something more valuable than having a personal relationship with God. And this world system, as we know it today, with all of its faults and evils, is a direct result of the choice they made.

Their story is the story of all of us isn't it? Who hasn't at some time said, (if not out loud) at least in their heart, "God, I think I can take it from here. I'll just go this one alone. I appreciate your offer, but I think I have a good handle on things now." And off we go, trying to make our life "work" without any help from God.

And what is God's response? He allows it.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 8:25:18 AM
At 4/8/2014 8:00:47 AM, IamPlato wrote:
The truth of the matter is at this precise moment a universal "battle of the wills" is going on. And if you happen to be one who is insisting on having your "own will" then your world is the way it is, because it's the world you have, in a sense, asked for

Remember the story of Adam and Eve? God instructed them to only eat from the Tree of Life, and not partake of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil? So what did they do? They ate the forbidden fruit in spite of His warning. They "willfully" partook of that fruit with the idea that they could ignore what He said and strike out on a life apart from Him.

Adam and Eve figured that they could become like God...without God! They were of the notion that there was something more valuable in existence than God himself, something more valuable than having a personal relationship with God. And this world system, as we know it today, with all of its faults and evils, is a direct result of the choice they made.

Their story is the story of all of us isn't it? Who hasn't at some time said, (if not out loud) at least in their heart, "God, I think I can take it from here. I'll just go this one alone. I appreciate your offer, but I think I have a good handle on things now." And off we go, trying to make our life "work" without any help from God.

True. But God always knows what's best, and allows things to happen so he can bring about a greater good.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Megalobrainiac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 8:33:16 AM
At 4/8/2014 8:25:18 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

True. But God always knows what's best, and allows things to happen so he can bring about a greater good.

Sure... Whatever helps you sleep at night.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 9:12:42 AM
At 4/8/2014 8:33:16 AM, Megalobrainiac wrote:

Lol... it's just the standard Christian theology reply you know.... I mean the existence of evil doesn't necessarily disprove the existence of God. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Megalobrainiac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 9:13:24 AM
At 4/8/2014 9:12:42 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Lol... it's just the standard Christian theology reply you know.... I mean the existence of evil doesn't necessarily disprove the existence of God. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 9:14:10 AM
At 4/8/2014 9:13:24 AM, Megalobrainiac wrote:

Megalobrainiac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 11:16:38 AM
At 4/8/2014 9:14:10 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 4:20:47 PM
At 4/8/2014 11:16:38 AM, Megalobrainiac wrote:

^theological debates in a nutshell.
Megalobrainiac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 4:22:06 PM
At 4/8/2014 4:20:47 PM, MassiveDump wrote:

^cheesy one liners that contribute nothing but low-class wit to the conversation in a nutshell.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 4:59:41 PM
At 4/8/2014 4:22:06 PM, Megalobrainiac wrote:

^cheesy one liners that contribute nothing but low-class wit to the conversation in a nutshell.

^mad
Megalobrainiac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 5:04:53 PM
At 4/8/2014 4:59:41 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 4/8/2014 4:22:06 PM, Megalobrainiac wrote:

^mad
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 5:50:52 PM

I've taken it one step further and openly challenged "God" before. I decided to go swimming in the middle of a lightning storm and while in the pool told "God" to strike me down. Nothing happened aside from the lake next to my pool getting struck by lightning.

Also, this brings forth the notion of how one conceptualizes "God"... if there is one, in my mind, it is the culmination of everything that is unknown. But yes, applying "God" in the manner in which you do, I would agree that he allows it.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...