Jump to topic:

Do I need empathy or sympathy

stanleymilgram1959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 1:56:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Empathy and sympathy are not just two different approaches to confronting the emotional challenges of others; they are diametrically opposite responses in many important ways. Sympathy places another's problems at a distance from us, places us in a position of superiority, and "drives separation", Dr. Bren" Brown. Empathy, on the other hand, requires that one internalize the feelings of another. That shared experience drives interpersonal connection, she says. "What makes things better is connection." I am experiencing a deep emotional pain without support, so how can I seek out help and which would be more comforting should I find either?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 5:07:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/9/2014 1:56:35 PM, stanleymilgram1959 wrote:
Empathy and sympathy are not just two different approaches to confronting the emotional challenges of others; they are diametrically opposite responses in many important ways. Sympathy places another's problems at a distance from us, places us in a position of superiority, and "drives separation", Dr. Bren" Brown. Empathy, on the other hand, requires that one internalize the feelings of another. That shared experience drives interpersonal connection, she says. "What makes things better is connection." I am experiencing a deep emotional pain without support, so how can I seek out help and which would be more comforting should I find either?

In the end, only you can solve your problem. In the end people will stop caring about your problem. In the end you should just suck it up and move on. As that is what you have to do to get rid of your problem. All the words in the world will do nothing. You must act to rid yourself of the problem. Seeking sympathy or empathy only prolongs the problem.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%