Jump to topic:

Divorce

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 8:19:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have just walked out of court having had my divorce finalised. Hooray! I'm a free man again, albeit minus two houses and half my cash.

Still, never mind. It's all over now. The whole process started in 2002 and cost an absolute fortune in lawyers' bills but at least I've got a clean slate now.

Once bitten, twice shy though. I'll never marry another woman unless she has at least as much money as I do.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 8:23:40 AM
Congratulations? Haha.

Yeah, it's funny how expensive it is to get a divorce. That's the sole reason many people choose not to get one. I love the advertisements for "300$ Divorce!" personally. I heard a rumor that in the future they want all marriages to be like contracts; you can get one for, say, 5 years and then after 5 years decide whether or not you want to renew it lol. It kinda takes the romance out of the whole idea of marriage, but I guess the idea is good for protecting people's assets :)
President of DDO
bkelley211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 8:58:18 AM
At 2/2/2010 8:23:40 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Congratulations? Haha.

Yeah, it's funny how expensive it is to get a divorce. That's the sole reason many people choose not to get one. I love the advertisements for "300$ Divorce!" personally. I heard a rumor that in the future they want all marriages to be like contracts; you can get one for, say, 5 years and then after 5 years decide whether or not you want to renew it lol. It kinda takes the romance out of the whole idea of marriage, but I guess the idea is good for protecting people's assets :)

The contract idea is so funnny. I could see this heading towards the sports realm--free agency, people swapping mates, sweetining deals with signing bonuses, trying one year contracts, etc.
DontBeRacist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 9:05:19 AM
At 2/2/2010 8:58:18 AM, bkelley211 wrote:
Congratulations? Haha.

The contract idea is so funnny. I could see this heading towards the sports realm--free agency, people swapping mates, sweetining deals with signing bonuses, trying one year contracts, etc.

That is probably one of the best things that I have ever heard. Will there be such rewards as rookie of the year or a hall of fame?
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 11:47:29 AM
At 2/2/2010 8:19:35 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I have just walked out of court having had my divorce finalised. Hooray! I'm a free man again, albeit minus two houses and half my cash.

Still, never mind. It's all over now. The whole process started in 2002 and cost an absolute fortune in lawyers' bills but at least I've got a clean slate now.

Once bitten, twice shy though. I'll never marry another woman unless she has at least as much money as I do.

Wah hoo?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 4:55:01 PM
At 2/2/2010 9:05:19 AM, DontBeRacist wrote:
At 2/2/2010 8:58:18 AM, bkelley211 wrote:
Congratulations? Haha.

That is probably one of the best things that I have ever heard. Will there be such rewards as rookie of the year or a hall of fame?

Probably a hall of shame...
President of DDO
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 7:05:48 PM
Another reason government shouldn't be involved.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
bkelley211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 9:25:43 AM

I'm not surprised it cost so much, but the process started in 2002?? That surprises me. I've known quite a few people in the States who have gone through the process much faster. Is it slower across the pond?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 9:48:26 AM
I'll never marry another woman unless she has at least as much money as I do.

Smart man. It's ridiculous how much money wives can demand in divorce.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 10:42:18 AM
I just personally think it's hilarious that all of these "libertarians" are so against government intervention in marriage, yet I'm pretty sure they plan on GETTING MARRIED and -gasp- reaping the government rewards.
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 1:37:06 PM
At 2/3/2010 10:42:18 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I just personally think it's hilarious that all of these "libertarians" are so against government intervention in marriage, yet I'm pretty sure they plan on GETTING MARRIED and -gasp- reaping the government rewards.

That was random.

Do you instead advocate that they place themselves deliberately in the victim class of the policy?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 2:22:37 PM
At 2/3/2010 10:42:18 AM, theLwerd wrote:

So if one is opposed to taxes, should one not get tax returns?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 7:51:19 PM
Congratulations? Haha.

I think they should do that for at least the first year or so before it becomes a "real" marriage, or they do the 5 year at a time thing.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 8:48:09 PM
At 11/7/2010 7:51:19 PM, lovelife wrote:
Congratulations? Haha.

I think they should do that for at least the first year or so before it becomes a "real" marriage, or they do the 5 year at a time thing.

Why did you revive an almost year-old thread?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 8:49:43 PM
At 11/7/2010 8:48:09 PM, mongoose wrote:
Congratulations? Haha.

reviving ones that were 1-2 years old got a tad boring. Figured that bringing back the old along with the not as old would be a better way to help the site.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 9:03:16 PM
At 11/7/2010 8:48:09 PM, mongoose wrote:
Congratulations? Haha.

Why do you care? People do it all the time...

In response to your question (which I didn't see until just now) - Regardless of whether or not you support taxes, it's legally mandated that you pay them. There is no legal mandate for marriage, so why would you have the government legitimize your relationship if you feel it's unnecessary? Also, a libertarian is opposed to taxes because they feel it's theft, however you're saying that it's okay for them to get married because then they're just receiving benefits on money unfairly taken from them. However in not supporting gay marriage under this system, then you're using force (government) to prevent gays from that same privilege - taking our money back from the government - so you're being hypocritical in not supporting it.

Oppressing us by limiting our capacity to get our money back by voting against gay marriage just because we're in the minority is oppressive. A reasonable person would see that it makes more sense to support gay marriage to champion quality in this regard, considering marriage as a legal institution will most likely never be abolished... unless you see Libertarians winning the House, the Senate and the Presidency (not just 1 of the above). Voting against gay marriage is simply helping to oppress, because hetero marriage will most likely always continue to exist in this country. In other words it's okay for heteros to get their money back from the government, but not the gays. I see.

(That's my take on the stupid libertarian position.)
President of DDO